No announcement yet.

Tibet protest in a perspective.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just checked their party mouthpiece (Home Page, a piece of cr*p). They deplore about UK's occupation of Iraq and the "dangerously disturbing development" of India launching the Israely satellite, but not a word about Tibet and China.

I do not understand this blind devotion. Do they not realize that China has turned her back on Chairman Mao's ideals and is trying her hand playing the dirty capitalist game?
    "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

China's growth rate being sustained for such a long period of time is debatable.

That apart, what should be of concern is that the disparity between the rich and the poor, both as individuals, and more importantly, as regions will have a serious repercussion on the societal harmony.

The Hans are industrious and enterprising and make good businessmen. The Hui, Tibetans and the Uighurs are not so adept. Hence, the economic disparity amongst the races will become a sore point leading to discontent and racial tensions.

The Tibetan riots is possibly not just a one off groping in the dark!

To believe that the US is sitting pretty to allow a draught animal to become a thoroughbred is doubtful. One has to understand the demise of USSR to understand US long term strategic inputs.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

The Communists in India are running dogs of Communist China.

They are pathetic people who are disloyal to their soil!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

see that coming miles away

Popular anger and resentment coursed through the Chinese Internet. Many people expressed outrage that Western sympathies seemed tilted toward the Tibetan cause despite the violence inflicted on Chinese citizens in Lhasa. Those sentiments were also expressed in China’s state-run news media outlets.
          http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/19/wo...ld&oref=slogin
          “the misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all” -- Joan Robinson

Comment

One has to understand the demise of USSR to understand US long term strategic inputs.

Cite me a reference on the long term US plan regarding China, please.
            “the misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all” -- Joan Robinson

Comment

Going back to the purpose of this thread, I don't think at this point, PLA is needed.

There is one winner, the PAP, they will get a bigger budget, mark my word. Some leading PRC political figures in Tibet will not keep their chair for long.

Comment

In four days, in four days we will know how much China will suffered (or not) in this Tibet protest, in four days.

Comment

Why would it be over in four days? I'm having difficulty getting up-to-date news on the situation, I keep on focusing last week's news with this week's news.

Comment

Sir, how do you think this'll affect the upcoming Taiwan elections? It must be like a gift from heaven to the pan-Greens, but Ma Yingjeou has done a decent job at damage control.

Comment

The Tragedy Of Tibet

Tragedy of Tibet

The Chinese interest in the region of Kashmir bloated directly from her expansion and absorption of the Central Asian regions and Tibet. Unlike the small and warring regions of Central Asia, Tibet had been for at least two thousand years an independent State with a unique personality and well-defined international boundaries. But China's imperialistic desires coveted Tibet. In Mao's words, Tibet was the palm, of which Ladhak, Nepal, Bhutan, Sikkim and Arunachal Pradesh were the five fingers.

Below is a chronological order of the events that ultimately led to China's usurpment of Tibet.

In the 17th century the Manchu dynasty was established in China and an informal relationship with Tibet began

To thwart suspicious Russian influence, the British forced their way into Tibet in l904 through a Military Mission led by Colonel Younghusband

In 1904, the Lhasa Convention gave the British a special position in Tibet in respect to trade and other matters

In the Revolution of 1911, the Manchu dynasty was overthrown, and a new government under the leadership of Dr. Sun Yat Sen began in China.

The Simla Conference of 1913-14 saw the representatives of China, Tibet and British Government of India meet to settle Tibet-China border. The conference laid to rest the Chinese supremacy over Tibet, and recognized Tibet as an independent fully functional State

In 1947, India gained independence and as a huge nation had special rights to protect Tibet from Chinese interests and in turn preserve her new frontiers.

The first PM of India, Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru, tried to promote the cause of China at the UN, instead of obstructing Chinese invasion of Tibet in 1950

On October 7th 1950, China invaded Tibet on the pretext of 'liberating' it from 'imperialist forces'.

In 1954, China and India signed the Panch Sheel Treaty , which indirectly showed India's lack of interest in aggressively checking Chinese advances in Tibet. With this, India willfully yielded her special rights of running Tibet's postal, telegraph and telephone services and the stationing troops at a number of places within Tibet.

In 1959, the Dalai Lama , left Tibet for exile in India

Between 1959 and 1961, the industrial and agricultural reforms of the Great Leap Forward resulted in Tibet¹s first recorded famines, killing 340,000 peasants and nomads.

In 1961 the UN passed a resolution supporting the Tibetan people right to self-determination.

1965 - The TAR was formally established. The Panchen Lama was placed under house arrest for criticizing the Great Leap Forward.

In 1966, Mao's Cultural Revolution formally began, encouraging the rejection of the four olds: "old thoughts, old culture, old customs and old traditions". In Tibet this led to the destruction of the remaining monasteries and the outlawing of Tibetan cultural customs and religion. Tens of thousands of Tibetans were sent to labor camps.

In 1971, China was admitted to the United Nations. The CIA withdrew aid to Tibetan guerrillas

In 1976, the Cultural Revolution ended as Mao died on 9 September.

In 1979, Deng Xiaoping opened China to the outside world. He invited the Dalai Lama to return from exile on the condition that he remains in Beijing. The Dalai Lama was permitted to send a fact-finding mission to Tibet. The mission encountered demonstrations calling for independence and the Dalai Lama¹s return. Many of the demonstrators were imprisoned. Deng told Gyalo Dhondup, the Dalai Lama's brother "Everything can be discussed except independence. "

In 1986 the Great Prayer Festival (Monlam) was held for the first time in twelve years.

In 1987 a pro-independence demonstration on 1 October led to police opening fire on a crowd of 3,000 demonstrators, killing at least nine. Tourists and journalists were expelled.

On December 10th 1998 (Human Rights Day), police shot dead two monks carrying the Tibetan flag in Lhasa.

In November 1989, the Dalai Lama was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize.

In 1991, Tibet was declared open to foreign investment.

On 26th May 1994, President Clinton de-linked human rights concessions from renewal of China's Most Favored Nation trading status. Economic protests in Tibet resulted in some political arrests.

In 1996, a patriotic re-education campaign was launched, with work teams visiting monasteries to "correct" the historical, legal and religious opinions of monks and nuns.

In 1997, TAR secretary Chen Kuiyuan claimed Buddhism was a "foreign import" and not part of Tibetan culture. It was announced that the patriotic re-education campaign was to be extended to schools, towns, offices and villages.

In 1998, Zhu Rongji replaced Li Peng as Prime Minister of China. Tibetan Youth Congress organized an "unto death" hunger strike in India, which resulted in the self-immolation of Thupten Ngodup. In September two monks were arrested for preparing a letter for UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Mary Robinson.

In 1999, the sentence of Ngawang Sangdrol, the longest serving female political prisoner in Tibet was extended to a total of 21 years.

In January 2000, one of Tibet's holiest figures, the 17th Karmapa , fled to India.

On January 15, 2002, Tibetan demonstrators organize a rally in New Delhi, to protest against Chinese Primer Zhu Rongji's 6-day visit to India.
                      Jammu and Kashmir: Nehru's Bungling Foreign Policy: Pancheel agreement and its consequences
                      One wonders what could be the geo political situation today, had India intervened to maintain its special status in Tibet.
                      sigpicAnd on the sixth day, God created the Field Artillery...

Comment

Originally posted by xinhui View Post
                        Westerners see no role for Han Chinese in Tibet in the first place, Culture Genocide is a fact

Comment

Originally posted by Adux View Post
                          Westerners see no role for Han Chinese in Tibet in the first place, Culture Genocide is a fact
                          That is simply hogwash. Cultural genocide only works if the locals want it so.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                            That is simply hogwash. Cultural genocide only works if the locals want it so.
                            Sir,
                            I dont think Locals have any choice!!
                            Mass-migration is technique used in Pakistan Occupied Kashmir which is now filled with punjabi's etc. India doesnt allow such things to happen therefore I CANT BUY PROPERTY in Jammu and Kashmir, A PLACE IN MY OWN COUNTRY. The number of Han-Chinese are increasing in Tibetian areas,

Comment

Originally posted by Adux View Post
                              Sir,
                              I dont think Locals have any choice!!
                              Mass-migration is technique used in Pakistan Occupied Kashmir which is now filled with punjabi's etc. India doesnt allow such things to happen therefore I CANT BUY PROPERTY in Jammu and Kashmir, A PLACE IN MY OWN COUNTRY. The number of Han-Chinese are increasing in Tibetian areas,
                              Oh for Pete sakes. The locals more than have a choice. Just look at what they're wearing. Jeans and T-shirts. Pakkas. Not robes nor Mao suits. Check out all the constructions. They're concrete, not mud huts. And I see far more satellite dishes than buddist bells.

Yeah, cultural genocide is happening all right but it's not done by Han-Chinese who only make up 6% of the local population.

Comment

Respect for human life, culture or national identity is a political inconvenience and the less answerable to the ballot box the less respect is normally given; which is usually based upon financial and weak political reasoning. It is as well to know the history of a situation so that the same mistakes are not made again, but the one thing we learn from history is, that we learn nothing from history. This looks like another very sorry chapter in, I am sorry to say, just another countries progress of which there are hundreds if not thousands of examples.

Comment

Working...
                                X