Mosul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mosul

CSM has a good four page profile of the continuing religious, ethnic, and AQI-influenced violence in Mosul. Just east of Tal Afar and just south of the KRG, this area has seen previously successful pacification efforts in 2003/04 when Petraeus commanded the 101st here. Yet, complete linkage to the nat'l gov't was never created for a variety of reasons.

This is a great read of a very complicated and elusive insurgency wrapped in a civil conflict within Mosul-

U.S Sees Long Fight to Oust Al Qaeda In Mosul
    "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

The problem with Mosul is that it's always been treated as an economy of force mission. My brigade replaced a division, and then we had a battalion pulled from us. Lo and behold, the insurgents were able to set up networks and make Mosul a hornet's nest. 1/25 ID (SBCT) did some heavy fighting and cleared Mosul pretty darn well, and with 3 ACR taking on Tall Afar, it allowed for an even greater troop concentration in Mosul. However, 1/1 AD, which replaced 3 ACR, was sent to Ramadi where they did yeoman's work, and Mosul once again became an economy of force mission, with only a battalion in Mosul for nearly the past year until just a few months ago. Lo and behold, the problems have flared again.

BTW, the road in the top picture from the CSM article was one of the main roads in my sector. It's strange to see it without bustling traffic.
    "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Shek Reply

Has anybody ever explained to you why Mosul of all places deserves semi-perpetual relegation to "economy of force" status (not a desired scenario in the absence of adequate overall troop strength)? Further, all the rumors, hints, etc. for maybe the last six months have been suggesting that AQI was heading here to do the last hurrah.

I suppose it allows them to concentrate for us. I occasionally forget how far north Tal Afar is and it's proximity to Mosul. As essentially the first stop on the old Syrian rat-line extending down to Fallujah, I'd not be surprised to see AQI in Mosul continuing to receive reinforcements from elsewhere through Syria's networks which, naturally, remain untouched regardless of events across the border in Al Anbar. Seems easy to divert east to Mosul instead of south to Haditha, Ramadi, etc.

Did you see the $2-6 billion to do dam repair? On our dime no doubt.
      "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
      "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Working...
      X