Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Any CIA employees/vets on here?

  1. #1
    Senior Contributor
    Join Date
    19 Feb 08
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    857

    Any CIA employees/vets on here?

    I'm a mechanical engineer that's considering applying. From their website, it looks like I could apply for either an Analysis or Sci & Tech position. All I have is a BSME and no further education after that, been a professional for 4 years. No language skills other than Southern English and a small amount of Spanish.

    Recommend the organization? Don't?

    Probably get declined? Do they shy away from professional private hires?

  2. #2
    Administrator
    Lei Feng Protege
    Defense Professional
    Join Date
    23 Aug 05
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    14,265
    rj1,

    you'd probably do better going for sci and tech. you should get in touch with a CIA recruiter- he'll be able to tell you better what's open at the agency and what is not.

    i have to warn you though, the process takes anywhere from 9 months to 15 months. 2-3 months to pass through initial interview and testing; then the rest of the time getting a TS/SCI clearance. you'll need to pass a lifestyle polygraph, which is a nasty animal.

    language skills are a bonus; they will pay you extra $$ if you have second/third language capability. from what you say, you can probably qualify to start at a GS-8 or GS-9 level, or approximately 50K a year.

    finally, they don't shy away from professional hires- they actually like that. however, i reveal no secrets by saying that yeah, the "decline" rate is quite high- mostly due to the security clearance issue. good luck...
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

  3. #3
    Regular Bad Karma's Avatar
    Join Date
    28 Jan 08
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    49
    I worked HUMINT MI and work closely with some ex-CIA folks now. There are two groups of people in the CIA, case officers and all the others.
    Case officers are the guys you see in the movies, only less glamorous, less fun, don't carry guns and never get the lady at the end. In the movies they don't show the case officer writing a report until 2a.m. They go out and collect intelligence from Human sources and recruit people to do that for them. Language ability is important and having the ability to learn is more important then previously having it. You would take the DLAB Test to ascertain your ability and then attend language school. If this is what you want to go for it doesn't matter what your degree is in, they look for a certain type of person. This type of person also works good as a used car salesman. A great book to read is Robert Baer's "See No Evil".
    Then there are the rest, ranging from computer geeks, analysts, technical experts, economists, psychologists etc. These people can work at Langley or in the field in support of the Case Officer. These employees make up the bulk of the CIA and take information from overt and covert sources and write a report.
    If this still sounds interesting to you then you should apply, it does take time and like Astralis said, the life-style poly is not enjoyable. When applying for your TS/SCI clearance be brutally honest about yourself. They're not looking for saints just honest people.

  4. #4
    Senior Contributor
    Join Date
    12 Aug 03
    Location
    Long Island, New York, USA
    Posts
    2,726
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Karma View Post
    I worked HUMINT MI and work closely with some ex-CIA folks now. There are two groups of people in the CIA, case officers and all the others.
    Case officers are the guys you see in the movies, only less glamorous, less fun, don't carry guns and never get the lady at the end. In the movies they don't show the case officer writing a report until 2a.m. They go out and collect intelligence from Human sources and recruit people to do that for them. Language ability is important and having the ability to learn is more important then previously having it. You would take the DLAB Test to ascertain your ability and then attend language school. If this is what you want to go for it doesn't matter what your degree is in, they look for a certain type of person. This type of person also works good as a used car salesman. A great book to read is Robert Baer's "See No Evil".
    Then there are the rest, ranging from computer geeks, analysts, technical experts, economists, psychologists etc. These people can work at Langley or in the field in support of the Case Officer. These employees make up the bulk of the CIA and take information from overt and covert sources and write a report.
    If this still sounds interesting to you then you should apply, it does take time and like Astralis said, the life-style poly is not enjoyable. When applying for your TS/SCI clearance be brutally honest about yourself. They're not looking for saints just honest people.
    I thought the ones we see in the movies are the paramilitary Special Activities Division agents?

  5. #5
    Senior Contributor
    Join Date
    19 Feb 08
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    857
    Quote Originally Posted by astralis View Post
    you'll need to pass a lifestyle polygraph, which is a nasty animal.
    Just cause I never heard of it, I typed "CIA lifestyle polygraph" into google, from the two (pissed off) examples I read, it sounds like an extended stress test to just make you crack.

  6. #6
    RLTW!! Military Professional Walking Dead's Avatar
    Join Date
    11 Jan 08
    Location
    California
    Posts
    437
    I'd be extremely careful about discussing even your intent of applying to work for that organization.

  7. #7
    Administrator
    Lei Feng Protege
    Defense Professional
    Join Date
    23 Aug 05
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    14,265
    rj1,

    in addition to what Walking Dead said, i see those two responses you googled made a mistake: they tell you before you take your poly not to reveal what went on within. )
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

  8. #8
    RLTW!! Military Professional Walking Dead's Avatar
    Join Date
    11 Jan 08
    Location
    California
    Posts
    437

    Good Point Astralis

    Quote Originally Posted by astralis View Post
    rj1,

    in addition to what Walking Dead said, i see those two responses you googled made a mistake: they tell you before you take your poly not to reveal what went on within. )
    Yes, I am pretty sure that you would sign a million non-disclosure and secrecy agreements. Also, the name of the website from which the responses came should have already given away the bias.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Covert CIA program withstands new furor
    By Major_Armstrong in forum American Politics & Economy
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 31 May 08,, 16:01
  2. CIA releases the 'family jewels'
    By Ray in forum International Economy
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 09 Jul 07,, 08:33
  3. The real people to blame!!
    By Commando in forum The Middle East and North Africa
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 01 May 07,, 01:47
  4. The lost 20 years of CIA spies caught in China trap
    By Ray in forum International Politics
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 22 Apr 07,, 15:23
  5. The real story Joe Wilson's twisted tale
    By Leader in forum American Politics & Economy
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 03 Nov 05,, 15:09

Share this thread with friends:

Share this thread with friends:

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •