Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's next for Saab?

Hey folks,
    I was wondering if there was anyone in the know that had any idea if saab were working on any 5th gen fighter designs currently. I've looked around and cant seem to find much.

I don't know. They've already got a 4.5 out in the form of the Gripen and they're busy marketing that.

Comment

I haven't heard of any Saab rumors going around, I would guess that they have put forth their attention towards marketing the gripen as well. There seems to be little demand for further technology by other companies, the market seems to be saturated by the F-35.

Comment

Originally posted by Clarkie View Post
        Hey folks,
        I was wondering if there was anyone in the know that had any idea if saab were working on any 5th gen fighter designs currently. I've looked around and cant seem to find much.
        The Gripen will be, without question, the last fighter designed wholly by Saab. The company and the domestic market are simply too small.

Comment

double post removed!

Comment

Sweden to Modernize its JAS-39 Gripen Fleet

It has been a good couple of days for Saab. Fresh off a come-from-behind win in Thailand, the firm has signed a SEK 3.9 billion ($600 million) contract with the Swedish Defence Material Administration (FMV) to upgrade 31 Swedish Air Force JAS-39 A/B Gripens to the very latest JAS-39 C/D standard. The FMV has also given the go ahead for the next-generation ‘Gripen Demo’ variant, whose development program includes the development of a new Gripen test flying platform and a new Gripen avionics set. FMV Gripen Demo funds in this contract can be added to an earlier SEK 1 billion (currently $150 million) award, as an offset to Saab’s participation in the European nEUROn unmanned fighter program.

Gripen Demo will be a heavier aircraft (empty weight adds 300 kg to 7,100 kg, max. takeoff weight rises from 14,000 kg to 16,000 kg) with increased external and internal fuel capacity (internal fuel rises 38%, and…) and an increase from 8 to 10 weapon/fuel pylons. To offset this extra weight, Gripen Demo will use a higher-thrust GE/Volvo F414 engine variant, replacing the GE/Volvo F404 variant in current aircraft and giving the aircraft a 25%-35% power boost. Other improvements include an next-generation AESA radar (probably drawing on Ericsson’s “Nora” project), along with improved computing and avionics overall, including satellite communication, Link 16 capability added to the Gripen’s existing datalink, and improved electronic warfare via jammer pod integration and other measures. Gripen Demo’s corporate participants include Saab, General Electric together with Volvo (F414 engine), Honeywell, Rockwell Collins, APPH, Martin-Baker and Terma.

Gripen Demo is designed to pave the way for future variants (JAS-39 E/F, DK, N et. al.). A next-generation Gripen is critical to the long-term viability and competitiveness of Sweden’s fighter fleet, and also to a number of contracts Saab is fighting for abroad. Norway signed a $25 million Letter of Agreement regarding Gripen Demo in April 2007, for instance, as part of the 3-way competition (F-35, JAS-39, Eurofighter) to replace its F-16s.
            -------------------------
            Sweden to Modernize its JAS-39 Gripen Fleet

So it's not dead yet!

Comment

Modernise the Gripens? They've only been in service five years...

Still, I'd call it the best fighter in the world that's not the F-22 and in some regards better than that.

Comment

Don't know if they are really that good but they have my sympathies ;) Gripen is after all an underdog in the fighter market. Unfortunately most high-cost purchases also have a political angle and Sweden can't offer much in this respect.

Comment

Originally posted by Silent Hunter View Post
                  Modernise the Gripens? They've only been in service five years...
                  The Gripen has been in around a bit more than 5 years. Deliveries of production aircraft began in 1994 and the first fully operational squadron went on line in 1997 IIRC.

Comment

Originally posted by Sardaukar View Post
                    Unfortunately most high-cost purchases also have a political angle and Sweden can't offer much in this respect.
                    I agree, I like some of their specs, but I do not see to many air forces buying Gripens in the future.

Comment

Is there any available detailed technical exploitation costs calculations for Jas-39 Gripen, it should be relatively inexpensive fighter plane?

Comment

Gripen is candidate for Denmark´s competition for F-16 replacement . If F-35 delays and cost get´s worse , it´s on Norway´s list too . Couple squadrons worth on both countries .

I remember only one number from memory - Gripen´s flight hour was 2500USD , which is cheapest amongst modern fighters , F-16-s number was around 3400USD . But this is from memory.
                        If i only was so smart yesterday as my wife is today

Minding your own biz is great virtue, but situation awareness saves lives - Dok

Comment

I see the Gripen having a decent market in the near future amongst 2nd and 3rd world customers who will have a desparate need to replace worn-out airframes. Given that it's cheap and versatile it's not a bad choice in this regard. I was under the impression that Brazil was very intrested in it, for example.

Comment

Working...
                          X