Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• has anyone heard abou this in south asia

Hindu republic 'born' in Bangladesh

India should have annexed Bangladesh in 1971. They would have been far better off today if that had happened.

Comment

Originally posted by gamercube View Post
      India should have annexed Bangladesh in 1971. They would have been far better off today if that had happened.
      i agree 100% than there would not have been this fuss today.

Comment

Originally posted by asif1986 View Post
        :)) :))

Another excuse for people of that country to slaughter each other again?
        Cow is the only animal that not only inhales oxygen, but also exhales it.
        -Rekha Arya, Former Minister of Animal Husbandry

Comment

Only we would not have been better off.

Comment

Why's that? We were alright before the British partitioned Bengal.

Comment

Why's that? We were alright before the British partitioned Bengal.
              We were alright hundreds of years before that. By the time British partitioned Bengal and left; majority of our population was in poverty. And the Bengal of then is very different then the Bengal of today. And that applies to both; East and West.

Comment

Originally posted by Tronic View Post
                We were alright hundreds of years before that. By the time British partitioned Bengal and left; majority of our population was in poverty. And the Bengal of then is very different then the Bengal of today. And that applies to both; East and West.
                Tronic, were the peoples of Bengal well off before the British arrived, or has the saying "mach ar baath bengali banai" always applied?:))

Comment

Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
                  Tronic, were the peoples of Bengal well off before the British arrived, or has the saying "mach ar baath bengali banai" always applied?:))
                  Sir, I'm not Bengali so am lost on the language. Though, I would say that the Bengalis were quite competent at empire building. As is evident with the Magadha Empire and the Pala Empire. But I guess they were just as competent at tearing down their empires.

Comment

Sir, I'm not Bengali so am lost on the language. Though, I would say that the Bengalis were quite competent at empire building. As is evident with the Magadha Empire and the Pala Empire. But I guess they were just as competent at tearing down their empires.
                    <nitpick>The Magadhan Empires were Bihari, not Bengali.</nitpick> I am not really sure if Biharis or Bengalis existed as such until 800 CE, but they both have strong linkage with Magadhan Prakrit linguistically. Magadha of course is geographically centered in Bihar.

Comment

My bad. I know they were from the East of me. :P So figured that they may have been Bengali. Looking at the current situation of Bihar; hard to associate any major empire there.

Comment

Looking at the current situation of Bihar; hard to associate any major empire there.
                        Actually it is easier for me to see how and why Bihar tends to produce empires periodically: A lot of people crowded into a small piece of land, an area that is chronically misgoverned, the ruling and the rebellious constantly sharpening their cunning and strength against each other... give them one competent charismatic leader and you have the classic receipe for empire (... and trouble for others; being a staunch republican, I have noticed that whenever Bihar starts out an empire, it usually means that a whole lot of republics elsewhere in India are going to die).

The Law of Large Numbers will have to work out in their favor every once in a while, doesn't it? Oh, and empire doesn't necessarily mean that the situation in Bihar for the common man was particularly pleasant. Just look at the tyrants and fools who have ruled there as emperors: Jarasandha, Ajatashatru, Ashoka... Some condemn their own people with their explicit pride, greed and arrogance, others did it just as effectively with their implicit vices.

Comment

Every bangladeshi knows that without indian help they would not have achieved independence so why is there so much mistrust between them know a days.

Comment

Only we would not have been better off.
                            good point bangla is over populated and very poor.

Comment

Originally posted by Cactus View Post
                              give them one competent charismatic leader and you have the classic receipe for empire
                              I'll wait for the Lalu dynasty. :)) :)) :))

Just look at the tyrants and fools who have ruled there as emperors: Jarasandha, Ajatashatru, Ashoka... Some condemn their own people with their explicit pride, greed and arrogance, others did it just as effectively with their implicit vices.
                              Ashoka was a tyrant/fool?

Comment

Working...
                              X