X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fidel Castro Resigns Cuban Presidency

According to Skyn new Castros retirement has just been announced

Fidel Castro Resigns As President

In a statement issued to a Cuban newspaper he said he would not be returning to the Presidency.

Castro has not been seen in public for 18 months since he underwent emergency intestinal surgery in July 2006.

Born into a wealthy landowning family, he turned to Marxism because of the poverty he saw around him in Cuba.

He came to international prominence in 1959 when, along with Che Guevara, he led the uprising which overthrew the corrupt government of President Fulgencio Batista, who had turned Cuba into a decadent playground for America's rich.

Promising to give the land back to the people, he received the backing of the Soviet Union, driving a wedge between Cuba and the US that has never been removed.

In April 1961 the US tried to topple the Castro government by recruiting a private army of Cuban exiles to invade the island.

At the Bay of Pigs, Cuban troops repulsed the invaders, killing many and capturing 1,000.

As money flowed from the Kremlin the Caribbean island became a cold war battleground.

But it was not just cash that headed west to Cuba from the Soviet Union.

In 1962 US reconnaissance planes discovered Soviet missiles on their way to sites in Cuba and the world stood on the brink of an apocalyptic nuclear war.

It was Soviet leader Nikita Khrushchev who blinked first, turning his weapon-laden ships around.

The Cuban missile crisis confirmed Castro, in American eyes, as the enemy in their own back yard.

The CIA tried to assassinate him on many occasions - one plan involved filling his much-loved cigars with explosives.

The collapse of the Soviet Union in the 1980s meant the financial plug was pulled on Castro.

Still blockaded by the US, conditions in Cuba deteriorated, with food and fuel shortages and an economy in ruins.

Soon thousands of Cubans were fleeing to Florida in makeshift rafts, hoping for a better life in the arms of Castro's arch-enemy.

He did however bring about real change in Cuba with free health care for all and one of the highest literacy rates in the world. And his ability to needle the Americans has never diminished.

Castro's brother Raul is his designated successor, but many observers believe Cuba's communist state will not outlive the man who has divided international opinion for almost half a century.
    Source: Fidel Castro Resigns As President Of Cuba |Sky News|World News
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

how many presidents has he seen come and go?

I will have to visit before it's too late
      Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

I hope US change policy towards cuba

Comment

BBC NEWS | World | Americas | Fidel Castro announces retirement

The problems will now start with who is to replace him and what changes will they make to system he put into place.

We have the examples of other dictatorships where the successor was incapable of sustaining the leadership principle.

But only time will tell what will happen in Cuba.

Comment

Originally posted by geurtjalink View Post
            Aye, the US should stop this unnecessary and unfair boycott of Cuba.
            Collins Class rule!

Comment

Originally posted by ned kelly View Post
              how many presidents has he seen come and go?

I will have to visit before it's too late
              I'm sure you meant US Presidents. I think it is 10.

Comment

Originally posted by geurtjalink View Post
                I hope Cuba changes from a repressive Communist dictatorship to a free democratic liberal society and a responsible member of the international community.

Comment

Originally posted by cuba View Post
                  Aye, the US should stop this unnecessary and unfair boycott of Cuba.
                  Cuba should stop its unnecessary and unfair savage repression of its own citizens.

Comment

I believe his son will take over so its still a "Castro" in charge. I am unsure but was Castro as bad for Cuba as we were led to believe in the massively anti communist years of american history in the 60s?

Communist is great, on paper, but in real life cannot flourish - but did it in Cuba? I would be very interested in peoples views of communist Cuba.

Anyway, end of an era in the west.

Comment

Originally posted by Elbmek View Post
                      I believe his son will take over so its still a "Castro" in charge.
                      So, basically, just another dictator that passes power through his own family, instead of a rational and orderly transfer of authority according to rule of law and the people's wishes.

Meh. Seen it before, as a matter of fact, we see it every single time another 'people's republic' strongman is replaced by a method other than being toppled.

I am unsure but was Castro as bad for Cuba as we were led to believe in the massively anti communist years of american history in the 60s?
                      Oh, I think I see your point: it was merely our paranoid fear that made him out to be a monster, not the fact that he was as murderous and repressive as any other benevolent personality cult that was working on behalf of his captive poplation, right?

Nah, sorry; I have read the accounts of what happens to dissidents and anybody that doesn't want to live in a police state. We have the examples of all those people that would rather lose their lives on the open ocean to escape than live under a ferocious regime of dicatatorship and slavery.

And finally, we have the historical record of Castro's relentless spread of the misery of 'revolution' from his own horrible vision for his people throughout Latin America and Africa.

So, no sale; it wasn't us that chose to somehow make him worse than he was, because that wasn't really possible. Indeed, there are the useful idiots among us that, even as he was committing black crimes against humanity, chose to praise him and hold him up as a shining example of a 'progressive' leader.

Communist is great, on paper, but in real life cannot flourish - but did it in Cuba? I would be very interested in peoples views of communist Cuba.
                      Communism is NOT great on paper, or anywhere else, and that's an ignorant interpretation that we've all grown up hearing. It's ALWAYS a system of evil, and that's true even in the philosophical realm.

Anyway, end of an era in the west.
                      And good riddance. It'll be an even better day when the old bastard finally dies and goes to his hot little corner of Hell for the reward he so richly deserves.

Comment

Sure it flourished. Free health care for all [cue Monty Python's "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life . . . ]. A high literacy rate so people could read the state controlled press.

Of course, dire poverty, lack of services, and the strong desire to flee to the freedom that the US offered kind of diminishes that flourishing, don't you think?
                        "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Whoa!! I asked a plain and simple question - I am not expecting such sarcastic criticism. I ask simply what was Cuba like? I have not studied it, I have other things to do with my life - and the replacement of a Castro with a Castro is fact, not an opinion of my own. I asked for views, thats all.

Comment

Whoa!! I asked a plain and simple question - I am not expecting such sarcastic criticism. I ask simply what was Cuba like? I have not studied it, I have other things to do with my life - and the replacement of a Castro with a Castro is fact, not an opinion of my own. I asked for views, thats all.
                            Nobody's attacking you, Suzie. Shek simply offered an opinion on the question you asked - Did communism flourish under Castro? - by answering that it sure did. But the PEOPLE didn't flourish under communism. Savvy?

Comment

To be honest, Cuba hasn't modernized very much since Castro took over. Add to that the large subsidies paid by the Russians are long since gone.

Originally posted by Bluesman View Post
                              Cuba should stop its unnecessary and unfair savage repression of its own citizens.
                              Well, Raul has already decided that $20 a month is note enough to live on.
                              F/A-18E/F Super Hornet: The Honda Accord of fighters.

Comment

Working...
                              X