Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just One Hour with CNN

What media bias?

I'm back after nearly a week of tough business travel, culminating in four hours at the Boston airport. The worst thing about being stuck in an airport these days is the televisions running CNN non-stop. But today Judy Woodruff's Inside Politics was so over-the-top that it provided comic relief. In one hour she ran the following stories:

1. Big business is rewarding President Bush for past favors and purchasing additional influence by paying for the inauguration festivities. Pro Bush companies, particularly energy and financial services companies, are paying $250,000 a pop.

2. The inaugural festivities cost too much -- at least $40 million. It's true that Clinton's cost about $33 million, but that was when we had budget surpluses and no natural disasters like the current one in Asia. (But I thought big business was footing the bill in order to buy influence -- if so, in the absence of a lavish inauguration, they wouldn't be allocating the bribe money to pay down the budget deficit or provide humanitarian relief).

3. Torture, always torture. Public opinion surveys showing that Americans (like their president) don't favor torture provide the pretext for CNN to show more Abu Ghraib footage and to take another shot at Alberto Gonzalez.

4. President Bush lacks public support for privatizing social security. And, according to Democratic consultant Ann Lewis, it's no wonder, what with the market down 100 points today and the same people who told us there were WMD in Iraq now telling us that social security is in trouble. (I'm not making this up; thank God Lewis is a Democratic consultant).

5. "Everyone loves Laura?" I'm not sure what the question mark was doing in the story, since CNN's poll showed that Laura Bush has an approval rating of something like 86-5. But CNN is quick to claim that this rating tends to go down when the First Lady takes controversial positions on public policy issues.

Woodruff also included a piece on blogging, in which CNN's reporter noted that blogs aren't going away now that the election is over. Instead, they are focusing on substantive issues and local political races. But even this unobjectionable piece was marred by Woodruff's need to explain that "blog" is short for "web log."

During breaks, CNN ran a commercial touting its war correspondent Christiane Amanpour. According to Amanpour "being a war correspondent is more than being a war correspondent," since her stories, "told well have the power to make a difference" and her "job is to make a difference for the good of the world." Judy Woodruff presumably answers to the same job description. Dan Rather too, for a little while longer.

http://powerlineblog.com/archives/009186.php

Originally posted by Leader
    What media bias?

I'm back after nearly a week of tough business travel, culminating in four hours at the Boston airport. The worst thing about being stuck in an airport these days is the televisions running CNN non-stop. But today Judy Woodruff's Inside Politics was so over-the-top that it provided comic relief.
    Then don't watch CNN. Watch Fox, listen to Rush, Sean, and Savage, and read NRO and Weekly Standard. Then you won't have anything to worry about.

Personally, I don't like my news flavored with either Right or Left spices.

Comment

Originally posted by Broken
      Then don't watch CNN. Watch Fox, listen to Rush, Sean, and Savage, and read NRO and Weekly Standard. Then you won't have anything to worry about.

Personally, I don't like my news flavored with either Right or Left spices.
      Maybe you missed it.

The worst thing about being stuck in an airport these days is the televisions running CNN non-stop.
      There was nothing else on.

Comment

Leader - Excellent work!

Comment

I don't see this as evidence of media bias. Granted, I'm not going to deny that it doesn't exist. But the same stories have been running on Google news the past week too. I'm pretty sure that their headlines are generated by the number of viewers of the articles. Direct demand would be the best standard I can think of for an unbiased control, and it wouldn't seem to differ too much from these CNN reports.

Take in mind that the media just likes to target the President no matter what. They did that with Clinton too.

If you want to hear what media bias sounds like, just turn your radio to AM.

Comment

Originally posted by barrowaj
            I don't see this as evidence of media bias.
            That's ok. It's not necessary.

Comment

Working...
            X