Reinstate Florida?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reinstate Florida?

Obviously Hillary Clinton would love to have Florida reinstated. It has 220 delegates, and since Edwards didn't reach the 15% threshold, the margin of victory for all practical purposes was 60-40%, with Clinton's share of the delegates possibly exceeding 60%.

There are a few valid points made by those arguing for reinstatement. The law that moved Florida's primary ahead of February 5th was written by a Republican legislator, passed by a Republican legislature, and signed into law by a Republican governor. The Democrats in the state had nothing to do with the primary date change. Essentially, Florida was stripped of its delegates by the DNC for actions undertaken by Republicans.
    Yes
    52.94%
    No
    47.06%
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Hey, I am for anything that helps McCain, but it ain't fair.
    To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

Personally, I think that the democrats excluding Florida only helps the Republican party... especially if Obama ends up winning the pledged delegate count by the difference Florida would have made. That is like a big middle finger to a swing state.

Comment

Well, if the Democrats want to further alienate a major portion of their base, then they should reverse themselves and reward the candidate that did NOT play by the rules, and punish the one that DID.

Obama and Edwards, as much as I loathe them both, decided to follow party rules. Hillary did NOT, and now she believes that she's entitled to those delegates that voted for her. Against an open field. That the other candidates didn't oppose.

I'm callin' shenanigans.

Comment

I think that we will see Hillary forced out if she loses in Ohio. The DNC via its talking heads already seems to be setting the stage for this. If Hillary pulls out and pledges to Obama then in the interest of unit both Florida and Michigan can be seated in the interests of party unity. After all the overall goal of the DNC is not Hillary, but gaining the presidency.

Hillary at this point is fighting a losing battle and i don't think she can come back from her set backs.

Half her donor list is tapped out and the campaign is foundering financially.

She is not drawing large crowds.

She is losing the support of the poor, women, and the middle class.

The RCP poll has shifted to favor Obama.

Poll after poll has her losing vs McCain, where Obama wins.

Obama holds a commanding lead in the popular vote.

Obama has won more states.

Obama has appeal to moderates and Democrat stalwarts.

No one in the DNC wants a repeat of 68.

Ignoring blacks may drive them to thier conservative roots and thus the right.

Comment

Originally posted by zraver View Post
            I think that we will see Hillary forced out if she loses in Ohio.
            If she loses Ohio, or Texas for that matter, I agree with you. Her campaign has drawn its own line in the sand, and if they can't maintain it they are finished. I think she can win in Ohio and Texas on March 4th though. Right now is a low point for her, and she still is doing well in those states. I think she can only bounce back from here.

Ignoring blacks may drive them to thier conservative roots and thus the right.
            I don't see that as likely.

Comment

Fight, Hillary fight! We want you as the nominee!!!

-dale

Comment

Friends, I must predict that the re-instatement of Florida & Michigan, as well as the manipulation of the Super-Delegates, all to the benefit of the Clinton Campaign will mark a second exodus of blacks from the Democratic Party.

The first one was when they were not known as blacks but "freedmen" thanks to the Republicans, the party of Abolition, which developed out of the Whigs & held to the Concord-Puritanical idealism of abolition & equalisation, for better or worse.

All good GOPers know that Philadelphia had their bus boycott fiasco in the 1860s with Republican Mayor Morton McMichael scandalising the Southerly-sympathetic City by banning trolley car discrimination.

The Clintonian machinations against Obama's populist wave of stardom shall open the eyes of many to behold the latent racism at the heart of the Democrat Party which proudly calls itself the "Party of Thomas Jefferson" a slave owner.
                "If we will not be governed by God then we will be ruled by tyrants" -William Penn

Comment

Originally posted by lwarmonger View Post
                  I don't see that as likely.
                  why note Black issues are generally conservative anti-abortion, anti-gay marriage, anti-NAFTA, pro church, pro school vouchers etc and thier long term voting history still favors the Republicans. Blacks are probably the most reliable Democrat stalwarts but get the least from the party overall. If the Dems force Obama out and the Reps tap Condi as VP you might well see a Black flight from the Left.

Comment

Originally posted by lwarmonger View Post
                    Personally, I think that the democrats excluding Florida only helps the Republican party... especially if Obama ends up winning the pledged delegate count by the difference Florida would have made. That is like a big middle finger to a swing state.
                    Good point, that would make great fodder for an attack ad...

"Obama says your vote doesn't count."

Comment

Florida and Michigan knew the Consequences of moving up their primaries, the Democrate candidates all signed on to the same pledge, now they have painted themselves into a corner they either dont honour the agreement or they disenfranchise the people of Florida amd Michigan,its a win win for the Republicans.

Comment

Bud, the Florida Democratic Party had nothing to do with moving up its primary. They were vigorously opposed to it.

It was the Republicans that moved the primary up.

Comment

Working...
                        X