Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Iranian satellite launched

First Iranian satellite launched

Iran launched its first satellite into space from Plesetsk in northern Russia on Thursday, joining a select club of countries.

A joint project between Iran and Russia, the Sina-1 satellite will be used to take pictures of Iran and to monitor natural disasters.

It blasted off aboard a Russian Kosmos 3M rocket early on Thursday morning.

The satellite was built for Iran by Polyot, a Russian company based in the Siberian city of Omsk.

Director General of Iran Electronic Industries Ebrahim Mahmoudzadeh said Sina-1 was the result of years of research and 32 months of construction.

Research activities

Mr Mahmoudzadeh said the $15m research satellite would contain a telecommunications system and cameras that would be used for monitoring Iran's agriculture and natural resources.

It could also be deployed after disasters such as earthquakes.

He stressed, however, that the satellite represents only the first step in Iran's space programme.

"Considering that the satellite weights 170kg and is carrying a camera, it is an initial model as far as technical know-how and experience are concerned."

The launch had initially been scheduled for the end of September, but problems with the Iranian satellite forced a delay.

Iran's former defence minister, Admiral Ali Shamkhani, unveiled his country's space programme in 1998.

The launch makes Iran the 43rd country to possess its own satellites.

Sina-1 shared the ride with other satellites from China, Russia and Europe.
    BBC NEWS | Middle East | First Iranian satellite launched
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Is WAB awarding a tin of butter cookies to the first member that shoots down this 'satellite'??

Comment

Not to worry. It will fall down all by itself. Rubber bands and band-aids only go so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Exarecr View Post
        Not to worry. It will fall down all by itself. Rubber bands and band-aids only go so far.
        It should provide interesting target practice and testing for our ASAT systems.

Comment

Originally posted by lwarmonger View Post
          It should provide interesting target practice and testing for our ASAT systems.
          hehehehe good one!

Comment

I think its more of an attempt to monitor the military movements accross the western border.
            sigpicAnd on the sixth day, God created the Field Artillery...

Comment

Originally posted by Deltacamelately View Post
              I think its more of an attempt to monitor the military movements accross the western border.
              Isn't it something similar lie Bangladesh's quest for a powerful airforce with Russian made vintage aircrafts?;)
              sigpicAnd on the sixth day, God created the Field Artillery...

Comment

That's Chinese vintage aircrafts, Major, no fortune cookies for you.

Comment

Now I know we all (well except me) dislike Iran. But come on. They launch a satellite for disaster relief, and basic monitoring of their own country. Jesus give the poor guys a break.

Comment

Originally posted by Feanor View Post
                    Now I know we all (well except me) dislike Iran. But come on. They launch a satellite for disaster relief, and basic monitoring of their own country. Jesus give the poor guys a break.
                    If that was the only reason they could have hired commercial satellites of a third party. Far cheaper, and makes much more sense.

Same reason why their "we only want nuclear technology for peaceful energy purposes" argument falls flat on its face.

Comment

Maybe they're intent on developing their own space program..... I mean look they're doing the same thing with their indigenous tank and fighter jet projects. Sponsoring their national industries, rather then buying abroad.

Comment

Maybe they're intent on developing their own space program..... I mean look they're doing the same thing with their indigenous tank and fighter jet projects. Sponsoring their national industries, rather then buying abroad.
                        That would make sense if they were rich. They aren't doing their economy (or their people) any favors by doing this, ergo they are doing it because of its military applications.

Well good for them, but the longer they blow money on projects like this, the further they are going to lag behind the West economically... Iran simply isn't rich enough, and they are squandering their oil money instead of using it for investment (something that could help them compete in the long term).

Comment

Originally posted by lwarmonger View Post
                          That would make sense if they were rich. They aren't doing their economy (or their people) any favors by doing this, ergo they are doing it because of its military applications.

Well good for them, but the longer they blow money on projects like this, the further they are going to lag behind the West economically... Iran simply isn't rich enough, and they are squandering their oil money instead of using it for investment (something that could help them compete in the long term).
                          Well a national aero-space industry means jobs. In that sense it is an investment. Same with a national defense industry. That way next time Iran needs air-defense systems, it will place an order with one of it's own factories, and the money will go to Iranian workers, rather then Russian and Belorussian ones.

Comment

Well a national aero-space industry means jobs. In that sense it is an investment. Same with a national defense industry. That way next time Iran needs air-defense systems, it will place an order with one of it's own factories, and the money will go to Iranian workers, rather then Russian and Belorussian ones.
                            It isn't a marketable one, nor is it a cost effective way of stimulating the economy.

It does create jobs, but only in the same way that the defense industry in the United States generates jobs... and Iran isn't rich enough to generate jobs in that fashion without hurting themselves long term.

Comment

The funny thing is.............I just watched a special on T.V. on a bunch of American dorks shoot rockets into a very low orbit of space from the Nevada desert!!
                              Almost their!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X