Micro-wave Mystery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Micro-wave Mystery?

Okay I'm not a scientist, but this is weird. I've noticed that when I boil water on a stove or open flame and add a tea bag nothing happens, yet put that same tea bag in a cup of water that was boiled in a micro-wave oven and the water starts to froth and bubble over. If water boils at the same temperature all the time what is occurring here?

Wow, guess I,ll get my son to research it.

Comment

Hmm.

I can only speculate that the stove-boiled water has less latent heat because it's brought to a boil by convection, i.e. heat exchange, whereas the nuked water has been brought to a boil by direct radiative methods, i.e. spinning the water molecules.

So when you drop in the teabag the nuked water has more energy to exchange with the bag.

That's just a guess, though.

-dale

Comment

Thanks dude.

Comment

i think dale is right, but water is still isn,t understood entirely, unlike many think it is.

there was an experement, in a clean water, was dropped an sealed glass container with pioson, there was no chemical contact of poison and water, yet after a while clean water became poison, it was given to lab mice, they all died. how did water become poison?

also, there was an invention of sonic boiler, many years ago, it was documented, tested, and anyone wishing to duplicate it, did so and results are confermed.
          so boiler was nothing more than 2 halfspheres, one inside another, when ac current was applyed to boiler, it resonated at 50 hz, and boiled the water, it did it so well, it prodused 20 times more heat than electricity that was used to power the boiler, it works on unknown fenomenon, we don,t know why it works like that but it does, this invention has been around since 1940s, imagine if it was used in steam locomotives, instead of burning coal, we might never need diesel or electric trains, we wouldn,t need to burn anything to produce power, but this patent never came to serve humanity.
          "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by omon View Post
            i think dale is right, but water is still isn,t understood entirely, unlike many think it is.

there was an experement, in a clean water, was dropped an sealed glass container with pioson, there was no chemical contact of poison and water, yet after a while clean water became poison, it was given to lab mice, they all died. how did water become poison?

also, there was an invention of sonic boiler, many years ago, it was documented, tested, and anyone wishing to duplicate it, did so and results are confermed.
            so boiler was nothing more than 2 halfspheres, one inside another, when ac current was applyed to boiler, it resonated at 50 hz, and boiled the water, it did it so well, it prodused 20 times more heat than electricity that was used to power the boiler, it works on unknown fenomenon, we don,t know why it works like that but it does, this invention has been around since 1940s, imagine if it was used in steam locomotives, instead of burning coal, we might never need diesel or electric trains, we wouldn,t need to burn anything to produce power, but this patent never came to serve humanity.
            Any links omon?
            Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

Originally posted by glyn View Post
              Any links omon?

The photos shown to date reminded me of a website I found a couple of years ago describing a similar thing. Here are my notes from that find; "As a sensitive musician Mr Davey noticed, that there was such a frequency of the motor and propeller buzzing, when the aeroplane cabin and his body were getting into a resonance. At this unique resonance frequency he always was experiencing an influx of heat in his aeroplane cabin. He did not know yet, that in future this phenomenon will be utilised in ultrasonic weapon systems for effective and undetected killing of people. But he decided to test whether the same phenomenon is to appear, if a metal hemisphere which simulates his pilot cabin is submerged in water and is excited into a resonance frequency. So he found two tops from old bicycle bells, joined them together, tuned one of them to 50 Hz frequency, attached electricity wire to each one of them, and thrown them into water. Surprisingly, water started to boil extremely fast. So he made his first heater patent based on this observation. This patent was already registered in 1944. After a hero return from the war, he had a device, which repetitively proved to everyone who measured it, that it has the efficiency decisively exceeding 100%. Realising this, he believed that the world is going to pounce on the opportunity of production and use of this technical miracle. After all, people are full of declarations about apparent saving on energy, resources, about protection of our natural environment, etc. However, the reality turned out to be completely opposite. Immediately after it was experimentally confirmed that the device has unexplainably high efficiency, the heater and the inventor fell into disfavour of various institutions that are interested in selling electricity and that protect the monopoly on electrical power. In the result, this extraordinary invention received an extraordinary treatment! Namely authorities were doing everything in their powers to disallow the production and sale of this heater in New Zealand. One of legal tricks that were used against this heater, was that it was declared officially to be "unsafe to health and life of users". (Please notice that practically every electrical device working on 220 Volts can be declared unsafe, if someone in the position of authority wishes to put it down.) In turn in New Zealand it is impossible to undertake the production and sale of anything, that is not officially approved by the government. In the result, Mr Davey was fighting for almost 50 years to receive a permit for the industrial production of this heater. And during these almost 50 years, the permission was continually refused to him, no matter what research outcomes he submitted to please authorities, and no matter how hard he tried. But it is interesting, that in Australia an electric jug with a heating element of the design very similar to the Davey’s heater was put in mass production (this Australian jug most probably is produced in there still even today). This Australian jug is working on the principle of electrical resistance of water (i.e. not telekinesis as the heater of Mr Davey does). Water that it heats is a resistor, in which heat is generated because of the electric current flows through this water. This Australian jug is exactly the same "dangerous to the health and lives", like the telekinetic heater of Mr Davey. Only that it did not encountered in Australia similar bureaucratic resistance because the energy efficiency of it is "normal". When I met Mr Davey for the first time in 1990, he still was appealing to authorities, and still had a hope to receive a permit for the production of his heater - in spite of these almost 50 years of lost battles with bureaucrats. He was even showing to me a large stock of components he gathered to start a production immediately after the permit is granted to him. However, he gave up the experimental production of research copies of his heater. The design of the Davey's sonic heater is extremely simple. It actually is composed of two major parts only - see Figure K8 (3) from monograph [1/4]. The most important out of these two parts is a resonating hemispherical bowl (1) made of a sound inducing metal plate. The second part is a buffering hemispherical bowl (2) almost identical in shape to the bowl (1). This second bowl has the radius around 4 mm larger than the resonating hemispherical bowl (1). Both bowls are assembled symmetrically one around the other, means the hemispherical bowl (1) is placed inside of the hemispherical bowl (2). Coin is 32 mm wide = 1.25984 inches / Big bowl approximately 1.75 inches wide and .75 inches thick / Small bowl approximately 1 3/8 inches wide. Of course, apart from these two bowls, the heater also includes a long rod, nuts, washers, and electrical wires. These are to hold it together, to supply electricity to both bowls, and to allow the heater to be submerged into water that it heats. But these other parts are marginal additions only. The major parts are the bowls. During experimental production of this heater, the resonating hemispherical bowl (1) usually is made from an old cover for a bicycle bell. The dimensions of this hemispherical bowl are not important. It is only vital that it falls into a sonic resonance at the frequency of 50 Hertz, and that it has the outer surface which is parallel and equidistant from the external buffering hemispherical bowl (2). To each of these two bowls a different wire of the household electricity supply (i.e. 220 V, 50 Hz) is connected. The heater must be submerged in water that it heat. It brings water to the boiling point extremely fast. More details about the design and operation of this sonic heater is provided in subsection K3.3 from volume 10 of monograph [1/4]. After being constructed, the Davey's telekinetic heater must be "tuned" in two different manners. The first tuning depends on providing the hemispherical bowl (1) with such frequency of the own oscillations, that makes this bowl to resonate acoustically when a sound of the frequency 50 Hertz is emitted nearby. The second tuning of the heater depends on appropriate selecting the distance "L" between both bowls (1) and (2). On this distance depends the formation of the standing wave between both bowls. Thus it decides about the energy efficiency of the entire heater. From the information that the inventor repeated to me, I gather that the measurements carried out by New Zealand scientists suggested that this heater may consume even less than the equivalent for around 5% of the energy that it generates in form of heat. This would indicate, that the electrical efficiency of this heater is around 2000%. (Means, that the heater produces over 20 times more heat than it consumes electrical energy.)"

http://www.tv3.co.nz/News/NationalNe...4/Default.aspx

KeelyNet 2008 - Free Energy / Gravity Control / Electronic Health / Alternative Science - 01/01/08

story about mice, i saw on tv documentary, let me see if i can find it in english,(cuz i do have the movie, but it is in russian)
              Attached Files
              "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

Thank you, omon :) I shall look into this, but the thing rather putting me off it is the use of the word 'telekinetic' which is close enough to the tree-huggers 'telekinesis' However, I shall give it some time.

Comment

Originally posted by glyn View Post
                  Thank you, omon :) I shall look into this, but the thing rather putting me off it is the use of the word 'telekinetic' which is close enough to the tree-huggers 'telekinesis' However, I shall give it some time.
                  I run a fun RPG superhero character in a buddy's game whose superpower is telekinesis. He throws cars. ;)

-dale

Comment

Many a year ago I was heating some water in a glass container using my parents' microwave. I fille the container with about half a liter of water and walked away to join my folks at the dinner table.

Two minutes later, there was a tremendous boom and steam puffed out from the now defunct microwave's every opening. Upon closer inspection, we were very lucky that our high quality Panasonic had contained the explosion, which included flying glass shards from what was our glass pot and an alarming amount of superheated steam.

This taught us all a lesson: when boiling water inside a microwave, you NEED to add small particulates to nucleate the boiling process. Otherwise, even heating of the water by the microwave, together with the featureless surface of glass containers, could result in superheated water, which, when slightly perturbed, would give the kind of explosion that destroyed my parents' microwave. Imagine if this had happened when I went to get the water.
                    Last edited by citanon; 12 Feb 08,, 08:17.

Comment

Originally posted by dalem View Post
                      I run a fun RPG superhero character in a buddy's game whose superpower is telekinesis. He throws cars. ;)

-dale
                      A superhero lacking in social graces?

Comment

Originally posted by citanon View Post
                        Many a year ago I was heating some water in a glass container using my parents' microwave. I fille the container with about half a liter of water and walked away to join my folks at the dinner table.

Two minutes later, there was a tremendous boom and steam puffed out from the now defunct microwave's every opening. Upon closer inspection, we were very lucky that our high quality Panasonic had contained the explosion, which included flying glass shards from what was our glass pot and an alarming amount of superheated steam.

This taught us all a lesson: when boiling water inside a microwave, you NEED to add small particulates to nucleate the boiling process. Otherwise, even heating of the water by the microwave, together with the featureless surface of glass containers, could result in superheated water, which, when slightly perturbed, would give the kind of explosion that destroyed my parents' microwave. Imagine if this had happened when I went to get the water.
                        i suspect your glass had flaws, like a hairline crack or a air bublle, cuz in my family boiling water in microwave is everyday task for many years, in any cups we did it, foam, glass, china, plactic. not once it exploded.
                        meat sometimes does explode.

Comment

Originally posted by omon View Post
                          i suspect your glass had flaws, like a hairline crack or a air bublle, cuz in my family boiling water in microwave is everyday task for many years, in any cups we did it, foam, glass, china, plactic. not once it exploded.
                          meat sometimes does explode.
                          It might have had something to do with how long I set the timer (too long).

To have the water "blow up", you need a container that's fairly flawless and does not absorb microwave radiation. The reason is this: Thermodynamically, water likes to be a gas at 100C once it has absorbed the latent heat of vaporization. However, the laws of thermodynamics do not state how quickly water has to turn into a gas or the manner in which it does this. That depends on microscopic processes. If you have a kettle that's being heated from the bottom by a flame, then hot spots and imperfections could cause little bits of water to vaporize at a time, causing the bubbling of boiling water. However, in a microwave, if you have a container that's fairly transparent to the microwave radiation, the water in your container will heat up uniformly. Since most glass containers also have fairly smooth and perfect surfaces, there won't be enough sites to nucleate steam bubbles. Instead, the entire bowl of water will continue to absorb heat at 100C until the entire bowl of water has absorbed enough latent heat to vaporize all at once. At that point, any slight disturbance of the water will cause an "explosion" like what happened at my parents' house.

Of course, this depends on the material of your container, the geometry of the microwave's heating coils, how long you've heated the water, etc. Just be careful not to heat your water for too long. For safety, you might consider dropping a few tea leaves or something else that's insoluble and harmless in the container to prevent accidents.

Disclaimer: Of course I'm not an authority on microwaves so this is just some friendly advice and I take no responsibility for any accident or injuries.
                          Last edited by citanon; 12 Feb 08,, 20:17.

Comment

Originally posted by citanon View Post

Of course, this depends on the material of your container, the geometry of the microwave's heating coils, :
                            as far as i know microwaves don,t use any heating coils, it uses magnetron, something very different.

Comment

If you microwave a Gremlin, they turn to green ooze!
                              “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” ~ Jimi Hendrix
                              "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X