Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 94

Thread: What's your favourite poem?

  1. #76
    In Memoriam Military Professional dave lukins's Avatar
    Join Date
    04 Jan 07
    Location
    cheshire uk
    Posts
    11,065
    Quote Originally Posted by Parihaka View Post
    Dave, my eye was moist. Sniff.
    And the other eye??)

  2. #77
    Senior Contributor Andrey Egorov's Avatar
    Join Date
    20 Oct 08
    Location
    Moscow, Russia, Russia
    Posts
    957
    All through the propeller

    Hand on the shoulder.
    Stamp on the wing.
    In the barracks of problems - washday.
    Soaked notebook.

    I know why
    I walk this Earth.
    It'll be easy
    to fly away.

    In three minutes - big dance party
    for the wax figures.
    At quarter-off -
    death.

    From seven torn skins -
    a shred of wool.

    I want to live so much
    No less than to sing.
    Tie my thread
    into a knot.

    Cold April.
    Hot dreams.
    And the viruses of new notes
    in blood.

    And every aim
    of the nearest war
    Is laughing and craving
    for love.

    Our family doctor
    will warm up his sun-syringe.
    And needles of rays again will find
    our blood.

    No, don't cry.
    Lay and watch,
    Love pouring from my throat.

    Catch it with your mouth.
    Glasses overflow.
    Drain torpedo-chord
    to the bottom.

    And the poster
    of the last spring
    Is rocking the square
    of the window.

    Hey, hole in the temple.
    Blind hordes.
    Understand, it's never too late
    to take off your armor.

    Kissing the chunk
    of trophy ice
    I quietly walk
    to the fire.

    We're bastards of rats.
    We're stepchildren of birds.
    And every one of us -
    1/3 bullet shell.

    Lie down and watch
    the nuclear prince
    Who carries his whip
    to the throne.

    Don't cry. Don't pity.
    Who would we pity?
    You know you’re just like me -
    an orphan.

    Well, what's wrong? Courage!
    We need to fly!
    Through the propeller!
    All through the propeller!

    Alexander Bashlachev

    actually it's a song, but it's my favorite poem as well
    We're so bad, we're even bad at it

  3. #78
    Senior Contributor
    Join Date
    10 Oct 07
    Posts
    3,018

    Just For Valentines Day

    To: Massacre
    From: Mobbme

    Dear St. Valentine's Day Massacre
    I wish you could help me ask her
    For I am not the one with the roar
    The brightness in her eyes keeps me breathless forever
    That one day she will be mine forever

    I stare at her with sorrows of pain
    I look down at the cuts near my veins
    For they are not what needs healing
    my heart longs desperately for her feel
    How can a goddesses be so real

    Endless nights I shiver
    Thorough times I cry a river
    One more pint might cause me harm
    But if presented I might gain some charm

    If this is love then why does it seem so wrong
    If love is blind then why can't I write a song
    If you are Massacre I will need every last bit of her
    Without her, this world is meaningless like a blurr

  4. #79
    Senior Contributor
    Join Date
    10 Oct 07
    Posts
    3,018
    That poem is not what you'd call literature, but be kind folks

    Hero, i'm waiting on you buddy, todays Valentines day and even if you are busy, try to post one or two of your love poems!!!

    Others pls start posting, poems are brain food

  5. #80
    Senior Contributor Knaur Amarsh's Avatar
    Join Date
    01 Oct 07
    Location
    Punjab
    Posts
    3,259
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobbme View Post
    That poem is not what you'd call literature, but be kind folks


    Others pls start posting, poems are brain food
    Its a fine start Mobbme, best of luck for your future poems also. Since you've started with a melancholy poem, here's one I ll copy from my PC -

    The Recollection

    Its about a quarter and two at night
    Am lonely no one can share my plight
    Suddenly life seems at a loss
    Each man must carry his own cross

    The fading Dunhill on my lips gives a dim light
    The thoughts in my mind give me a fright
    Maybe things are not that bad
    Maybe I am just being mad

    Perhaps it was my fault
    Or maybe Destiny's brought life to a halt
    All Karma has given me is pathos
    Each man must carry his own cross

    It simply goes over my head
    When they say for there is always hope
    With an old notepad am sitting in bed
    No faith in anything, just a downhill slope

    I pretend to happily lie low
    In reality am slowly letting go
    No desire I have to face another dawn
    There really is no reason for me to go on

    And these memories still come back to haunt me
    It seems as if fate itself is trying to taunt me
    I wish someone could share my loss
    Each man must carry his own cross

    There is a big difference between then and now
    I know I should distract myself
    I just cant find out how
    There are people I could talk to
    No, I realise I dont really want to

    There is just so much confusion
    I really cant come to any conclusion
    Oh now it hits me,the fatal perception
    I am not trying to draw results
    I am just practising decpetion

    The rette is over, its light stops to glow
    Maybe this is as far as I can go
    I didnt realise the truth is so gross
    But Each man must carry his own cross
    Last edited by Knaur Amarsh; 14 Feb 09, at 12:13.
    When our perils are past, shall our gratitude sleep? - George Canning

  6. #81
    Senior Contributor
    Join Date
    10 Oct 07
    Posts
    3,018
    Quote Originally Posted by Knaur Amarsh View Post
    Its a fine start Mobbme, best of luck for your future poems also. Since you've started with a melancholy poem, here's one I ll copy from my PC -

    The Recollection

    Its about a quarter and two at night
    Am lonely no one can share my plight
    Suddenly life seems at a loss
    Each man must carry his own cross

    The fading Dunhill on my lips gives a dim light
    The thoughts in my mind give me a fright
    Maybe things are not that bad
    Maybe I am just being mad

    Perhaps it was my fault
    Or maybe Destiny's brought life to a halt
    All Karma has given me is pathos
    Each man must carry his own cross

    It simply goes over my head
    When they say for there is always hope
    With an old notepad am sitting in bed
    No faith in anything, just a downhill slope

    I pretend to happily lie low
    In reality am slowly letting go
    No desire I have to face another dawn
    There really is no reason for me to go on

    And these memories still come back to haunt me
    It seems as if fate itself is trying to taunt me
    I wish someone could share my loss
    Each man must carry his own cross

    There is a big difference between then and now
    I know I should distract myself
    I just cant find out how
    There are people I could talk to
    No, I realise I dont really want to

    There is just so much confusion
    I really cant come to any conclusion
    Oh now it hits me,the fatal perception
    I am not trying to draw results
    I am just practising decpetion

    The rette is over, its light stops to glow
    Maybe this is as far as I can go
    I didnt realise the truth is so gross
    But Each man must carry his own cross
    That poem was really good.

    I thought i'd get things started you know, glad you posted

  7. #82
    Global Moderator
    Devil's Advocate
    ArmchairGeneral's Avatar
    Join Date
    04 May 06
    Location
    Boston, MA.
    Posts
    4,668
    Nature's first green is gold,
    Her hardest hue to hold.
    Her early leaf's a flower;
    But only so an hour.
    Then leaf subsides to leaf.
    So Eden sank to grief,
    So dawn goes down to day.
    Nothing gold can stay.

    -Robert Frost
    I enjoy being wrong too much to change my mind.

  8. #83
    In Memoriam Military Professional dave lukins's Avatar
    Join Date
    04 Jan 07
    Location
    cheshire uk
    Posts
    11,065
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmchairGeneral View Post
    Nature's first green is gold,
    Her hardest hue to hold.
    Her early leaf's a flower;
    But only so an hour.
    Then leaf subsides to leaf.
    So Eden sank to grief,
    So dawn goes down to day.
    Nothing gold can stay.

    -Robert Frost
    What sort of leaf was Robert smoking)

  9. #84
    Global Moderator
    Devil's Advocate
    ArmchairGeneral's Avatar
    Join Date
    04 May 06
    Location
    Boston, MA.
    Posts
    4,668
    Quote Originally Posted by dave lukins
    What sort of leaf was Robert smoking
    Nature's best high: spring time.
    I enjoy being wrong too much to change my mind.

  10. #85
    Herodotus
    Guest
    All right in honor of Valentine's Day, though it has passed, I will post this poem I wrote my lady love. She is living apart from me overseas so that is the context:

    Two Years…

    Time goes by too slowly without you
    I remember clear the day we became two
    Joy filled my heart when you said yes
    I knew the years to come would be the best

    Without you I am nothing, with you complete
    My dreams are filled with your image replete
    Love everlasting though we are apart
    Time will stand still when we touch our hearts

    Two years have gone but our love still remains
    Our lives entwined will never be the same
    Happy Anniversary but many more to come
    Together forever never to be undone

  11. #86
    Senior Contributor
    Join Date
    10 Oct 07
    Posts
    3,018
    Quote Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
    All right in honor of Valentine's Day, though it has passed, I will post this poem I wrote my lady love. She is living apart from me overseas so that is the context:

    Two Years…

    Time goes by too slowly without you
    I remember clear the day we became two
    Joy filled my heart when you said yes
    I knew the years to come would be the best

    Without you I am nothing, with you complete
    My dreams are filled with your image replete
    Love everlasting though we are apart
    Time will stand still when we touch our hearts

    Two years have gone but our love still remains
    Our lives entwined will never be the same
    Happy Anniversary but many more to come
    Together forever never to be undone
    My mannn!! That's really good. I'll be honest though, if the time arrives I might just steal this one away from ya )

  12. #87
    Global Moderator
    Military Professional
    Defense Professional
    Albany Rifles's Avatar
    Join Date
    27 Apr 07
    Location
    Prince George, VA
    Posts
    8,924
    I think my favorite starts out

    There once was a man from Nantucket...
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

  13. #88
    Senior Contributor Stitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    14 Nov 06
    Location
    Patterson, CA
    Posts
    3,080
    I really like "Ozymandias", by Percy Bysshe Shelley, and "The Rime of the Ancyent Marinere", by Samuel Taylor Coleridge; I'll reprint Ozymandias here because it's not that long, but The Rime is pretty long, so I'll skip that one.

    I met a traveller from an antique land
    Who said: Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
    Stand in the desert. Near them on the sand,
    Half sunk, a shatter'd visage lies, whose frown
    And wrinkled lip and sneer of cold command
    Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
    Which yet survive, stamp'd on these lifeless things,
    The hand that mock'd them and the heart that fed.
    And on the pedestal these words appear:
    "My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
    Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
    Nothing beside remains: round the decay
    Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
    The lone and level sands stretch far away.
    "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

  14. #89
    Regular Malayali's Avatar
    Join Date
    06 Mar 06
    Location
    St.Louis, MO
    Posts
    37
    Tagore - Mind Without Fear

    Where the mind is without fear and the head is held high;
    Where knowledge is free;
    Where the world has not been broken up
    into fragments by narrow domestic walls;
    Where words come out from the depth of truth;
    Where tireless striving stretches its arms towards perfection;
    Where the clear stream of reason
    has not lost its way into the dreary desert sand of dead habit;
    Where the mind is led forward by thee into ever-widening thought and action---
    Into that heaven of freedom, my Father, let my country awake.

  15. #90
    Senior Contributor
    Join Date
    10 Oct 07
    Posts
    3,018

    Translation from BRUCIA LA TERRA

    The moon is burning in the sky
    And I am? burning with love
    The fire that is consumed
    Like my heart

    My soul crys
    Painfully

    I'm not at peace
    What a terrible night

    The time passes
    But there is no dawn
    There is no sunshine
    If she doesn't return

    My earth is burning
    And my heart is burning
    What she thirsts for water
    I thirst for love

    Who will I sing
    My song to

    If there is no one
    Who shows herself
    On the balcony

    The moon is burning in the sky
    And I am burning? with love
    The fire that is consumed
    Like my heart

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. My favourite man made object
    By mike nickeas in forum Science & Technology
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 11 Feb 08,, 21:11
  2. A Christmas Poem
    By Spec6 in forum World Affairs Board Pub
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05 Dec 07,, 04:30
  3. Afghanistan war is 'cuckoo', says Blair's favourite general
    By Ray in forum International Politics
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 30 Oct 06,, 06:11
  4. Poem on Bush removed from textbooks
    By Ray in forum International Politics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06 Dec 05,, 14:14

Share this thread with friends:

Share this thread with friends:

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •