Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your Top 5 most handsome and most ugly battleships.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pre Dreadnought worst looking?
    Nooo .... there are far worse than that and there all French ! Thats a real 'moose' I'll agree but have you seen the French Pre Dreadnaught Massena from 1895 ...... Mon dieu !! Some ships have a right to be ugly but she clearly abused the privilege ..... if I knew how to post pictures I'd show you ... but I'm old :))
    Last edited by flogger; 05 Feb 08,, 07:57.

Comment

I'm partial to the battlecruiser Tiger.

I like the Fuso with its "pagodas." But the turret arrangement has always struck me as impossible to protect properly.

A second vote here for Derfflinger, which was also perhaps the most resilient battlecruiser ever built.

Uglies:

--the "basketwork" masts on the early US dreadnoughts are definitely an acquired taste!

--the early British classes with the mast behind the forward funnel.

Comment

best looking 5

1, yamato class
        2, iowa class
        3, vanguard
        4, bismark class
        5, richelieu class

i guess the curve lines on the yamato does please the asian eyes aesthetically.

Comment

Originally posted by Aniki View Post
          best looking 5

1, yamato class
          2, iowa class
          3, vanguard
          4, bismark class
          5, richelieu class

i guess the curve lines on the yamato does please the asian eyes aesthetically.
          That's a really good benchmark list as far as I'm concerned. :)
          “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Always thought the New York class after their ugly cage masts had been removed looked great - like real tough fighting ships should.

Also, USS Arkansas with her 12 inch guns grouped in 6 turrets in a favorite of mine.
            Question: Did the Arkansas have the most main battery turrets of any dreadnought within the USN? Which ship had the most of all time (I think it was a Brit ship in WWI)?

Comment

pic of Texas and Ark

I've always enjoyed these ships - they just look like they're supposed to go into harm's way and kick A$$!

Note the last pic - a rare one with USS Arkansas and I think the USS Wisconsin, moored side by side. Question: where was this pic taken? Maybe Pearl?
              Attached Files

Comment

Although it doesn't have the long lines of the Iowa class, I have visited the USS North Carolina in Wilmington several times, and she is a beautiful ship.

Comment

I've been aboard the NC too - what a great battleship!

Comment

For beauty,
                    1. Vanguard
                    2. Roma
                    3. Bismark
                    4. Hood
                    3. Wisconsin
                    (IMO, all battleships are interesting, even ugly ones)

For Ugliness this is my favorite-Pelayo

http://www.hazegray.org/mysteries/oldmyst/ans152.htm

"Completed in 1888, Pelayo carried an unusual armament of single 12.5" guns forward and aft, with two single 11" guns midships. She was the only Spanish battleship of this period"

The French and Russian Pre-Dreadnaughts (like the Borodino class) from around 1900 with their tumblehome sides were very odd, and perhaps the oddest of all were the Russian Popov and Novgorod -- disk shaped coastal defense ships built in 1872-1874.
                    And then their is the USS Kearsarge with her stacked turrets.
                    sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
                    If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

2. Cesare/Doria class (modernised)
                      Glad to see the italian rebuilds getting some love. I rate the Cesares at the top.

Comment

Most Handsome:

1. Queen Elizabeth class
                        2. Vanguard class
                        3. Iowa class
                        4. Bismarck class
                        5. Yamato class

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                          OK, I used to check out a book from my local library when I was a young lad called...alright I don't remember what it was called, but it was really cool.

It had several warships throughout history that it devoted a 3-page foldout full-color profile drawing. VERY beautiful and detailed at the same time.

My favorite was the heavily armed HMS Nelson.

So there! :P
                          Im pretty sure i own this book ill look for it when i get home from work in the morning.

Comment

Well im new to the forums, so hello!

Here are the five that i think look the best (*note* I am disregarding all the specs, this is my personal favorites)

1. South Dakota Class
                            2. Iowa Class
                            3. Colorado Class (after refit)
                            4. Italian Doria class (after refit)
                            5. french Richelieu class

i dont think there are any "ugly" battleships. they are all gorgeous in there own way.

Comment

I am glad to se others have included the HMS Vanguard.

Aesthetically I always liked the quad twin turret arrangement on both battleships and cruisers.

Comment

1. Richelieu
                                2. Yamato
                                3. You just have to love Warspite
                                4. Hood
                                5. Iowa

Comment

Working...
                                X