Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The illusion of the IDf dependence on America.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I recently watched the movie Charlie Wilson's War, and IIRC it pretty much stuck to the basic story. What I do remember is how the US, Israel, Egypt, Pakistan and Saudi Arabia all worked together to defeat the USSR in Afghanistan. How they needed the Israelis since they had the largest stockpiles of Soviet weaponry not belonging to a Soviet client state
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

I recently watched the movie Charlie Wilson's War, and IIRC it pretty much stuck to the basic story. What I do remember is how the US, Israel, Egypt, Pakistan and Saudi Arabia all worked together to defeat the USSR in Afghanistan. How they needed the Israelis since they had the largest stockpiles of Soviet weaponry not belonging to a Soviet client state
      Chinese and Egyptian guns played a bigger role.
      To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

Comment

Since I've only watched the movie, could you elaborate on that please?
        Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
          Since I've only watched the movie, could you elaborate on that please?
          More Chinese and Eygptian weapons ended in Afghanistan than Israeli.

Comment

According to "ghost wars" by Steve Coll, Wilson played a very limited role in Afghanistan, clearly not as big as the movie suggested.
            “the misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all” -- Joan Robinson

Comment

What I do remember is how the US, Israel, Egypt, Pakistan and Saudi Arabia all worked together to defeat the USSR in Afghanistan.
              All Israel really did was sell some ex-PLO arms, not working together as much as making a buck. S-13 can only use so many AK-47s.

India and Turkey also dumped in guns (SMLEs and Mausers) as did other nations.
              To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

Comment

Working...
              X