Useless UN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WE THE PEOPLES OF THE UNITED NATIONS DETERMINED
    to save succeeding generations from the scourge of war, which twice in our lifetime has brought untold sorrow to mankind, and

to reaffirm faith in fundamental human rights, in the dignity and worth of the human person, in the equal rights of men and women and of nations large and small, and

to establish conditions under which justice and respect for the obligations arising from treaties and other sources of international law can be maintained, and

to promote social progress and better standards of life in larger freedom,

AND FOR THESE ENDS

to practice tolerance and live together in peace with one another as good neighbours, and

to unite our strength to maintain international peace and security, and

to ensure, by the acceptance of principles and the institution of methods, that armed force shall not be used, save in the common interest, and

to employ international machinery for the promotion of the economic and social advancement of all peoples,

HAVE RESOLVED TO COMBINE OUR EFFORTS TO ACCOMPLISH THESE AIMS

Accordingly, our respective Governments, through representatives assembled in the city of San Francisco, who have exhibited their full powers found to be in good and due form, have agreed to the present Charter of the United Nations and do hereby establish an international organization to be known as the United Nations.
    If a nation is not prepared to sign up or adhere to these articles, why should they be a member?
    In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

• Like it or not, the UN is the only hope for alot of people. They're begging for UN intervention in Dufar. And like it or not, the US and others are not prepared to offer an alternative hope for them.

Comment

• Originally posted by huh_what
        The UN charter was intended to give all nations a say in world affairs.
        And that is why it has no use. One cannot expect tyrants to do what is right for the world.
        Originally posted by huh_what
        "Free Nations" would be a limiting, exclusionarry term.
        You wanted something more useful, I gave it to you.
        Originally posted by huh_what
        Maybe before the Nuclear age, an organization like the UN was unwarrented.

Now it is needed.
        It's just a hall of bad will and arguments. Keep it if you want, but it's usefulness is severly limited...
        Originally posted by Bluesman
        I see no point to the UN. NONE.
        I do. Besides the occasionaly effective use of humanitarian aid, it's a great place to spy on tyrants. ;)
        Originally posted by Tronic
        lol... i dunno what to say... these statements of urs mean that some nations in the world are more "privelaged" then others...
        Do you not think France should have more of a say than North Korea, or Syria, or Iran? I certainly do.
        Originally posted by Tronic
        the UN is only a good force when it is working for u, but it becomes useless when working against u
        Most of us still don't like it when it "is working for" us...
        Originally posted by parihaka
        If a nation is not prepared to sign up or adhere to these articles, why should they be a member?
        I don't know.
        Originally posted by Officer of Engineers
        Like it or not, the UN is the only hope for alot of people.
        It's true, and I think that is the saddest bit of all...
        No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
        I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
        even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
        He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

• Originally posted by Tronic
          lol... i dunno what to say... these statements of urs mean that some nations in the world are more "privelaged" then others... the UN is only a good force when it is working for u, but it becomes useless when working against u, right blue?
          It's not that some nations are more priveleged, it's that some nations are better than others.

To whit: France - a liberal democracy with a culture of openness and tolerance, is a better country than China, with its oppressive culture and lack of democratic participation.

-dale

Comment

• guys w ecant forget the importance of Un just like that..
            UN stood the test of time and i think its very very effective when it comes to aid / relief work..leave aside its worthyness in dealing with international politics!!!!
            anyways we do need an international org which can fecilitate meeting of different countries on various issues...
            and i do feel bad when USA shadows UN and guys just wait few yeras and with the emergance of powerful developing countries like india . china etc etc it will be a diff ball game altoughter

Comment

• Originally posted by anand1266
              guys w ecant forget the importance of Un just like that..
              UN stood the test of time and i think its very very effective when it comes to aid / relief work..leave aside its worthyness in dealing with international politics!!!!
              anyways we do need an international org which can fecilitate meeting of different countries on various issues...
              and i do feel bad when USA shadows UN and guys just wait few yeras and with the emergance of powerful developing countries like india . china etc etc it will be a diff ball game altoughter

UN is a place where people like Robert Mugabe can launch their tirade.

UN is a place where horses are traded. Kofi Anan's son was clearly found to be a party to the Oil for Food scandal that rocked the UN last year.

UN is an organisation that it is still debating about how to deal with Dafur issue while people are dying, butchered, women being raped by Arab militais.

Not a day goes by when BBC doesn't broadcast a report from Dafur.

This is the same UN that failed to come to the aid of people in Rwanda.

UN is crap and should be scrapped.

Above all the Americans showed clearly why UN is irrelevant, when they went to war in Iraq inspite of UN opposition. Anyways the French, Chinese & Russian solely opposed war because that would have harmed their economic interests/

Comment

• Originally posted by Gautam
                UN is a place where people like Robert Mugabe can launch their tirade.

UN is a place where horses are traded. Kofi Anan's son was clearly found to be a party to the Oil for Food scandal that rocked the UN last year.

UN is an organisation that it is still debating about how to deal with Dafur issue while people are dying, butchered, women being raped by Arab militais.

Not a day goes by when BBC doesn't broadcast a report from Dafur.

Above all the Americans showed clearly why UN is irrelevant, when they went to war in Iraq inspite of UN opposition. Anyways the French, Chinese & Russian solely opposed war because that would have harmed their economic interests/
                quite true !!! its very unfortunate that sec gens' s very son did that..
                and its very sad that USA bypassed UN for the war.... it actually didnt but its all obvious but UN is doing exceptional work in some areas....i think we shld dlete USA's membership for the better and good

Comment

quite true !!! its very unfortunate that sec gens' s very son did that..
                  and its very sad that USA bypassed UN for the war.... it actually didnt but its all obvious but UN is doing exceptional work in some areas....i think we shld dlete USA's membership for the better and good
                  lol, u better find a new HQ for UN den. Its HQ is in New York, US is one of the founding members & a permanenet member of the UNSC.

Without USA UN will be useless.

Comment

guys w ecant forget the importance of Un just like that..
                    What test of time?

-dale

Comment

lol, u better find a new HQ for UN den. Its HQ is in New York, US is one of the founding members & a permanenet member of the UNSC.

Without USA UN will be useless.
                      it wont take long other countries to catch up on that
                      anyways we ( world) cannot afford UN to fail or collapse , its like a medium where all countries sit together and decide on matters....now lets leave who's overpowering whom.Just imagine a world without UN..it will be very very difficult to maintain peace.Atleast UN facilitates for dialouges between countries!!!!!!!
                      that is very very important.Agencies like UNICEF , WHO , UNESCO HV BEEN VERY SUCCESSFUL IN THEIR VENTURES.

remember ' the league of nations' ? a failure
                      so i think whatever Un has become or it is, we just cant ignore or underestimate its duty / past and future roles and also its worth :)

Comment

And here lies the rub, without the UN, more people would have died. It was the UN who put General Dallaire in there. It was General Dallaire who refused to leave and shamed the UN into allow the contingent to stay.

As bad as Rwanda was, it could have been alot worst without the UN. It could be Dufar right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Officer of Engineers
                          without the UN
                          It's just too bad the "good guys" aren't more gung ho about doing the right things without requiring a UN resolution. :(
                          I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
                          even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
                          He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

remember ' the league of nations' ? a failure
                            On at least one count they were a failure, they did the same thing the UN is guilty of doing all the time, waiting to see what happens. The UN is the League of Nations, but Hitler has a vote...

Comment

• Originally posted by Confed999
                              On at least one count they were a failure, they did the same thing the UN is guilty of doing all the time, waiting to see what happens. The UN is the League of Nations, but Hitler has a vote...

BINGO. Very succinctly put.

Comment

• i don't understand why you (the bush supporters), don't just tell what you really think: i mean it is obvious.
                                You don't like UN because its not yours because you don't own it. A union that is not under the Us suprimacy..

Comment

Working...
                                X