Romney v Kennedy 94

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Romney v Kennedy 94

Maybe a few of you have seen this. It's the Romney-Kennedy debate of 1994 in which Mitt Romney challenged Ted Kennedy for a seat in the Senate.

Originally posted by Ted Kennedy
    And under your economic program, the program of Mr. Reagan and Mr. Bush, we saw growth in terms of the unemployment, the growth of children living in poverty, the growth of those children born out of wedlock...
    Originally posted by Mitt Romney
    "Look, I was an independent during Reagan-Bush. I'm not trying to return to Reagan-Bush. My positions don't talk about things you suggest they talk about. This isn't a political issue".
    During Reagan's administration unemployment fell from a high of 10.1% in the second year of his term to 5.2% by the time he left office, a decline of nearly 50%. Instead he dissociates himself from Reagan, doesn't even try to defend him. Now he claims to want to continue the Reagan legacy.
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Ooooo, the past, really scary. :)

Is that like your boy McCain claiming he was against the Bush tax cuts because they weren't matched by spending cuts, when the transcripts from the time all show that he objected on more "classist" lines? ;)

Honestly, I can't imagine how hard it must be to be a politician these days.

-dale

Comment

Then, like now, Romney is running on his credentials as head of Bain Capital.

He was actually ahead of Kennedy until his campaign started running ads featuring people who lost their jobs as a result of Bain Capital.

What stands out strongest in this clip is his complete disowning Reagan. How dare he invoke Reagan after disowning him and dissociating himself from him. I can't wait until this starts running on attack ads.
      "Look, I was an independent during Reagan-Bush. I'm not trying to return to Reagan-Bush."
      Then he goes onto say things such as:
      -“Which course is better for America? A European model of high taxes and regulations? Or, low taxes and free trade - the Ronald Reagan model?"

-"Ronald Reagan was a president of strength. His philosophy was a philosophy of strength - a strong military, a strong economy and strong families. "

-"Ronald Reagan is ... my hero. ... I believe that our party's ascendancy began with Ronald Reagan's brand of visionary and courageous leadership."
      Quotes of Romney dissociating himself from and disowning the Republican Party in 2002:
      "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
        During Reagan's administration unemployment fell from a high of 10.1% in the second year of his term to 5.2% by the time he left office, a decline of nearly 50%. Instead he dissociates himself from Reagan, doesn't even try to defend him. Now he claims to want to continue the Reagan legacy.
        Hmmm......I wonder how many of the jobs created in this period were 'McJobs'? It's easy to lower unemployment: just pay everyone peanuts and you'll soon have jobs for everyone! :))

Comment

marklv,

Hmmm......I wonder how many of the jobs created in this period were 'McJobs'? It's easy to lower unemployment: just pay everyone peanuts and you'll soon have jobs for everyone!
          and even if this were true (and it isn't, as the employment rate would probably go up shortly afterwards, given the high turn-over rate in the fast food industry), between having a crappy-paying job and no job at all, what's the better choice?
          There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by marklv View Post
            Hmmm......I wonder how many of the jobs created in this period were 'McJobs'? It's easy to lower unemployment: just pay everyone peanuts and you'll soon have jobs for everyone! :))
            Good point astralis. Mark, don't forget, competition for government contracting increased tremendously allowing more than a monopoly to compete for defense contracting, which in turn created more jobs and slashed the expenditures even further. Also, more jobs were created for the shipbuilding/reactivation programs under the Reagan administration. Let us not forget there was a record number of people that became millionairs in the 80's that has not been broken yet.

Comment

Working...
            X