Immigrant Workers in The UK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Immigrant Workers in The UK

The countries of the United Kingdom has seen a massive influx of foreign workers since the eastern bloc collapsed and places like Poland became members of the EU.

I work in Traffic Control for a major confectionery company, seconded there from the company I work for. Its hard work, as the computerised system is rather slow and lots of info to be input when lorries arrive.

Over 75% of the drivers who bring these lorries in are of eastern european origins. I mentioned this to an english driver had he told me that this is nationwide. They are employed by hauliers as they work for less, are not properly qualified, no experience of our roads, which will come in time and cause many accidents. But primarily because they work for less which means bigger profits for the hauliers which is not passed on to the customer.

But, since I have been there, I have noticed something else, something far more sinister. Going back through time, the English Channel was not just a physical barrier to the continent, effectively isolating Great Britain from the continent, but also an effective barrier for health problems.

Take Rabies for instance, rife on the continent, but very rare in the UK. This was due to successive governments in the past 100 or so years insisting on full health checks on immigrants and stringent laws barring the importation of various animals, plants etc from overseas.

This is no longer in existence, there are no barriers effecting the human immigrant. They are bringing in virus' and disease alien to our systems and we are now feeling this in our overloaded Health Service and with disease and outbreaks, once uncommon, now breaking out almost daily. We do not have a suitable immunity here in the UK due to our physical isolation throughout history. All outbreaks in the past have been down to "imported" germs. Such as the black rat, imported on ships from abroad, bringing the plague.

I was working on New Years Day. The weather was relatively cold and the door to the office was open so that drivers could come in with their paperwork instead of standing outside pushing it through a small window.

This is when I got hit with this bloody virus. I was severely blocked up, racking cough, headaches and suchlike. Coughing was causing vomitting then came the the runs and 24 hours of hell on earth. It was passed onto me by a foreign driver, as we had no local drivers in that day, all off on holiday. That part is fact. I tried every cough and cold medication on the shelf, nothing would shift it. In the end, last week, went to the doc who gave me penicillin. That has cleared the illness, but not the cough.

Its now January 27th 2008 and I still have the cough and it wakes me up on occasion. My wife also has it but worse and is still fairly bad now.

What next?

We have the same problem here in the US; previously eradicated (or very rare) diseases like Polio, Smallpox, Bubonic Plague, Whooping Cough, etc are now back in full force due to immigration (legal and illegal).

Comment

There is an epidemic of this mysterious 'cough' disease in the UK at the moment. My wife currently has it, and she has been off work for a week already.

Comment

A lot of recent Illnesses don't stop at Humans. Over the last few years there have been serious outbrakes of animal illnesses never seen in the UK before.
        Is this a coincidence or is there something more sinister going on?

Comment

Polish drivers are terrorising my nation's roads - yesterday I drove behind a man who was clearly drunk on the road into Cork City, I reported him on my mobile phone, and the Gardai stopped him eventually to find he was roughly 4 times over the limit.

We hear reports every day of accidents caused by non-nationals who simply refuse to obey the laws of the road, driving while drunk, stoned or simply stupidly - it's costing lives.
          I'm not sure what exactly it is (I've heard road laws in many EE countries are very lax compared to WE) but there certainly is something.

I'm in favour of immigration, diversity is a great thing, and I don't believe the shyte some people say about a clash of cultures, in ten years they'll all be Gaelicised - I feel that we should make a few requirements for entering the nation though (Take and pass the Irish driving test, for example).
          Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
          - John Stuart Mill.

Comment

Requirements for entry - thats the key. As I stated in my opener, the UK had excellent health screening for immigration - then - nothing! And we used to have stringent animal health laws, now all a dog needs is a bloody easily forged health passport!

With ref to drivers, we had one (polish) in the other day. Apparently he was the cause of a major artic barrier crash on the M5 about a week or so ago; he is still driving! He admitted to the police that he had fallen alseep at the wheel. He is facing prosecution but, until then, he can drive!

Last year sometime an entire bus company was taken off the road in Manchester UK due to the foreign drivers causing accidents. I believe a pole killed a young girl, which was the straw that broke the camels back.

Comment

This kind of thing happens in Canada all the time also. I remember a couple of years ago not to far from Kingston on the 401 an Asian family blissfully cruised up the exit ramp head on into a transport truck. A very messy driving lesson. Most new immigrants just swap paper for paper and everyone else be damned. To racist to require new immigrants the horrible discomfort and psychological trauma of proving ones driving skill. One must be careful these days to suggest such an outrage because it might make me a candidate for sensitivity training,according to the flow of the winds of inclusionist whims. Yikes, sorry for the verbal diarrhea,guess my meds are kicking in.

Comment

Originally posted by Elbmek View Post
                Last year sometime an entire bus company was taken off the road in Manchester UK due to the foreign drivers causing accidents. I believe a pole killed a young girl, which was the straw that broke the camels back.
                Yes Mike, that was First Bus of Mcr. We had one in our Depot(not for long) who was caught, at lunch time, eating sausage and cheese washed down with VODKA!!
                He thought it was the normal thing to do, and got uptight when he was dismissed as he had "been doing it ever since he was employed"

Comment

I'm all for folk trying to make a better life for themselves and their families. but not when it comes to the Host Country having to change Laws and rules to accommodate them. When we can't fly the Flag in case it "upsets" people. I could go on ad infinitum on the PC front, but we have all heard it before. We now have no-go areas in some parts of the Country It's time for Government to step in before it gets out of hand.

Comment

Oh its time for this is it? Every few years the same old stories are trotted out but we have to insert a new name for the people who are ruining the country.

--- Like a chain letter, stick your story of how the UK is ruined by "them" to the bottom and pass on. Don't risk bad luck now! ---

The Irish came over, and ruined the country. They brought disease and their strange ways with them. (We had to put "No Irish" signs up on the guest houses). What did they ever do for us (well the railways ...).

Before we had really got used to the Irish there was then that Windrush lot. All them blacks coming over here and taking our jobs (that we don't want to do) bringing their strange ways, behaviours and you know them diseases again. What did they ever do for us? (Well . ..they staffed London transport and despite being disease ridden some even learned white man's medicine.)

But what they really made us do was amend the guest house signs ("No Irsh or Blacks please").

But we somehow we managed to soldier on. Somehow we got over the destruction on the English rose brought about by the fiery Irish and our colourful friends from the Caribbean only to be swamped by the damn "****'s" - regardless of where they actually come from 'cos "they are all the same" ... They come over here with their strange ways and customs ("A mate, of a bloke i met in the pub, told me that he went into one of them Asian's council houses and they was cooking, right, with an open fire in the middle of the kitchen floor, No straight-up as true as i am standing here today"). We didn't have room on the guest house signs to add the block for them. It was terrible. And what did they ever do for us - well they were often quite well educated and somehow, even though they couldn't work a light switch or a cooker, apparently, they managed to put a huge number of trained doctors and nurses into the NHS).

But, you know what, then came the pigging Polish. They come over here, with their strange ways and customs, probably bringing disease and take our jobs (That we once again don't want to do) .. they don't speak the language. Just like the Romans didn't speak the pigging language and (all together now) "What did the Romans ever do for us?".

--- Add your story here ---

Sorry, are you sure you guys are talking about the British Isles? Because you speak as though you are talking about the Galapogos Islands.

/sarcasm on

Britain has been isolated for millenia, the proud waters of the North Sea, the Irish Sea and the Channel preserving a pure, untouched, virgin wilderness.

This sacred land only ever visited by the Angles, Jutes, Vikings, Picts, Romans, Celts, Normans and Saxons - to name a scant few million - with its insular people that only infrequently set foot abroad to discover huge lumps of the planet, to conquer other huge tracts that it didn't first discover and to bring the strange customs and diseases from said dominion (diseases from the Raj anyone?) back home to the disease free, poverty free paradise of equality that was This Ingerrland.

This land of insular peoples that barely set foot elsewhere, except to found the western world as we know it, is now being over-run for the fiftieth time in only a few millenia ...

Surreal Scoop: Racist “overwhelmed by all the alternatives”
                    at

Comment

[QUOTE=Trooth;453507
                      This sacred land only ever visited by the Angles, Jutes, Vikings, Picts, Romans, Celts, Normans and Saxons - to name a scant few million -
                      QUOTE]

I do believe that they too were met by a Tad of aggro as well:))

Comment

Trooth , but the drinking and driving problems are real . Over here it is not considered as normal being drunk and drive , but way too many do it still and itīs horrifiying . And there is NO WAY a drunk driver (espec. one who drives public transport) should not get the harshest possible punishment .

The lenient laws - I do not know about the other countries , but here the legal limit is zero . And punishment , when caught could end you with a bill from 50 days pay up to 300 days pay (according to min. wage ) and losing your driving licence from 3-9 months .
                        If i only was so smart yesterday as my wife is today

Minding your own biz is great virtue, but situation awareness saves lives - Dok

Comment

Originally posted by braindead View Post
                          Trooth , but the drinking and driving problems are real . Over here it is not considered as normal being drunk and drive , but way too many do it still and itīs horrifiying . And there is NO WAY a drunk driver (espec. one who drives public transport) should not get the harshest possible punishment .

The lenient laws - I do not know about the other countries , but here the legal limit is zero . And punishment , when caught could end you with a bill from 50 days pay up to 300 days pay (according to min. wage ) and losing your driving licence from 3-9 months .
                          Which is a fair enough criticism of those new to our shores, and we have plenty of drink driving laws and enough people on bans to show they are policed. Nick the offenders and get them banned - which would be the livelihood for a lorry driver in the UK gone.
                          at

Comment

Working...
                          X