• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmm ........ Dale Brown ?
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Hakkaa Päälle

Comment

byTopHatter
      Vortex was...odd. Not to mention downright creepy in a few places.
      I have a signed copy. Although a work of fiction the novel does contain accurate accounts of several incidents that actually happened. I liked the background work he did either reading the after action reports or interviewing people that were there. By closely reading one account I could even determine what platoon whoever he got his information was in.

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
      Nah I meant that SA government guy who liked to take young boys to a hotel room, slug 'em in the face and you know the rest :(

Ugh...just ugh...
      I'd heard that part of the story was close to the truth. Probably based on police reports. Lesotho was rumored to be a haven for those of similar ilk.
      Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
      (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

I've read a few Tom Clancy's and he was very perceptive in 'The sum of all fears', the Bourne series, specially the 1st one i enjoyed. But some (thats just MHO) i thought he was making pshycics of his characters in some sort of way, like conversing at a hypothetical level not endorsed by ordinary humans. Maybe thats just my take, but i felt that way and the book bored me. I heard he'd been hired by the CIA for lectures and more. It's after that he stopped publishing more novels. Maybe that had something to do?

Comment

The Bourne books are from Ludlum, not Clancy.

In my opinion Clancy's path is no more complicated than any popular author who begins to pull more weight than his editors.

-dale

Comment

So, who is the modern Clancy? Any recent techno-thrillers worth reading?

Comment

None that would compare to the real life stuff. The After-Action Reports that has been coming out far outdone anything Clancy and the like could do.

Comment

Dalem thanks! I stand corrected. Actually it was Ludlum that muddled me in some versions. Got that wrong. I read both authors same time a few years back. I did likethe Sum of all fears by Clancy though. Was years ahead of it's time.

Comment

Originally posted by dalem View Post
                  The Bourne books are from Ludlum, not Clancy.

-dale

They are being continued by Eric Van Lustbader

The Bourne Legacy and The Bourne Betrayal.

Havn't read them but I did like Lustbaders, Nicholas Linnear series and just finished the Testament. Not bad for a "Da Vinci code" clone

Comment

Originally posted by RadioPatrol View Post
                    Hmm ........ Dale Brown ?
                    I had the misfortune of reading one of Dale Brown's abominations he passes off as a novel. A mistake I will not duplicate.

As for Tom Clancy why should he write books anymore now that he has the Xbox 360, aka the Tom Clancy Money Machine. He has the Ghost Recon, Rainbow Six, Splinter Cell, and now the End War series raking in dough by the freight car.

Plus the reported movie version of Without Remorse and Rainbow Six.

Somehow I doubt very much if he cares what anyone thinks these days.

Comment

Most professionals seem to enjoy the books by Marcus Wynne.

Comment

Tom Clancy = Jingo apologist

Comment

Editec, I appreciate that you want to dive in and post, but some threads are worth staying dead. Don't necropost unless you really have something decent, relevant and worthwhile to say, something the other members will wanna read.
                          Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Working...
                          X