Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
Results 91 to 95 of 95

Thread: Robert E.Lee overrated?

  1. #91
    Global Moderator
    Military Professional
    Defense Professional
    Albany Rifles's Avatar
    Join Date
    27 Apr 07
    Location
    Prince George, VA
    Posts
    8,888
    Quote Originally Posted by BadKharma View Post
    It was not that simple. If you tour the southern states today you will hear the war had nothing to do with slavery but state rights.
    If it was primarily about slavery why did Lincoln wait until Gettysburg to make the Emancipation Proclamation.
    He didn't.

    Lincoln issued the Emmancipation Proclamation after the Battle of Antietam, almost 9 months earlier.

    It went into effect on 1 JAN 63, six months before Gettysburg.

    There was widespread dissent within the union ranks at first over it. Many soldiers stating they had enlisted to preserve the Union, not end Slavery.

    Emancipation Proclamation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

  2. #92
    Banned Defense Professional Bluesman's Avatar
    Join Date
    24 Nov 04
    Location
    Misawa Airbase, Japan
    Posts
    8,578
    Quote Originally Posted by Albany Rifles View Post
    Lincoln issued the Emmancipation Proclamation after the Battle of Antietam, almost 9 months earlier.

    It went into effect on 1 JAN 63, six months before Gettysburg.
    And to be exactly accurate, it had no effect on the slaves that were under Union control. Ironic, isn't it? I believe that DELAWARE - loyal, never-seceded, troops levied to subdue the South - was technically the last state to abolish slavery.

    Comes right back to states' rights, at least on some level.

  3. #93
    Banned Defense Professional Bluesman's Avatar
    Join Date
    24 Nov 04
    Location
    Misawa Airbase, Japan
    Posts
    8,578
    And now, we're WAY off the reservation.)

    But last bite at the apple: can one be in violation of one's oath of office if one RESIGNS that office BEFORE committing any offence against that oath? Was Robert E. Lee still bound by the obligations of an oath of office that he no longer held? Don't think so.

    NOT A TRAITOR.

  4. #94
    Global Moderator
    Military Professional
    Defense Professional
    Albany Rifles's Avatar
    Join Date
    27 Apr 07
    Location
    Prince George, VA
    Posts
    8,888
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluesman View Post
    And now, we're WAY off the reservation.)

    But last bite at the apple: can one be in violation of one's oath of office if one RESIGNS that office BEFORE committing any offence against that oath? Was Robert E. Lee still bound by the obligations of an oath of office that he no longer held? Don't think so.

    NOT A TRAITOR.
    Since I took that oath myself my feeling is it is for life. An oath is not something one casts aside.



    It was within Lee's rights as a citizen to do what he did but he also would have ot face the consequences of that act...just like all other Federal officials who served the Confederacy. That they did not get tried for treason does not make their actiosn any less treasonous.
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

  5. #95
    Staff Emeritus
    Military Professional
    Defense Professional Shek's Avatar
    Join Date
    23 Feb 05
    Location
    Krblachistan
    Posts
    11,636
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluesman View Post
    And to be exactly accurate, it had no effect on the slaves that were under Union control. Ironic, isn't it? I believe that DELAWARE - loyal, never-seceded, troops levied to subdue the South - was technically the last state to abolish slavery.

    Comes right back to states' rights, at least on some level.
    So a document effective 1 January 1863 is justification for actions in 1860 and 1861? It doesn't follow
    "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1069
    Last Post: 28 May 13,, 04:11
  2. African states rally behind Robert Mugabe
    By Ray in forum International Politics
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 30 Nov 07,, 09:05
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 13 Apr 06,, 01:43
  4. Most Overrated Events/People of the 20th Century
    By sparten in forum World Affairs Board Pub
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 16 Feb 06,, 15:02

Share this thread with friends:

Share this thread with friends:

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •