F/A-18 Hornet vs CHP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F/A-18 Hornet vs CHP

The reply makes me want to reenlist!!! HOORAH!!!

This is as hilarious as it is scary although not real.

Straightline - Two California Highway Patrol Officers almost taken out by an F/A-18 Hornet
    Last edited by Walking Dead; 17 Jan 08,, 19:30.

Originally posted by Walking Dead View Post
    The reply makes me want to reenlist!!! HOORAH!!!

This is as hilarious as it is scary although not real.

http://blogs.edmunds.com/Straightline/4138
    You may want to add a space between the and the actual url.

Straightline - Two California Highway Patrol Officers almost taken out by an F/A-18 Hornet

Interesting, do all F/A-18s routinely carry anti-radiation missiles? Could this be a Growler? Or the marines just decided to yank the chain a little?:))
    Last edited by gunnut; 17 Jan 08,, 23:04.
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Don't want to be a party-pooper but when I first saw this some years ago it was allegedly the RAF and a Midlands police unit. I expect snopes or Mythbuster have got something on it.
      Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

'Automated defense system' overriden by the pilot?

Something tells me aircraft don't launch missiles by themselves.

Urban Legends Reference Pages: Police Radar Prompts Missile
        HD Ready?

Comment

Originally posted by glyn View Post
          Don't want to be a party-pooper but when I first saw this some years ago it was allegedly the RAF and a Midlands police unit. I expect snopes or Mythbuster have got something on it.
          Yeah, I heard the same but, USMC response makes for a good laugh.
          Last edited by Walking Dead; 18 Jan 08,, 02:20.

Comment

Originally posted by HistoricalDavid View Post
            'Automated defense system' overriden by the pilot?

Something tells me aircraft don't launch missiles by themselves.

Urban Legends Reference Pages: Police Radar Prompts Missile
            well, not sure about the missile defense onboard an aircraft, but our Aegis warships, with the proper doctorine enterered in to them, can automatically fire missiles at incoming targets that meet the entered parameters to be engaged.. (it's MUCH faster than a human can possibly think and react)

Comment

I know that when we were sitting on the ground conducting preflights that a RWR on the U-2 would detect a CHP and our bases' SP's handheld radar speed guns, It didn't and couldn't do anything about them but it would classify them as the search radar of one of the mobile soviet anti aircraft gun models. Shika or something like that. Appearently it was only a matter at close range on landing or taking off as the things don't have that wide of a spread of energy and aren't that powerful. Now I imagine if you want to have a semi-irked air national guard base you could have your local cops play with the things and everytime they saw a military airplane light it up. It'll put off wierd blips on the rwr but not really do anything else. Might get beep or a buzz in the headphones from it if you can keep it right on the airplane for awhile. Honestly should have gotten the SP's to try this when I had the oppertunity, just to see what sort of nifty symbols we could put up.
              No one would ever really think that there was a distant soviet AA platform CONUS so I doubt it is really likely there. I never saw it anywhere overseas either because they use different equipment or the flightline is more distant from the road or because I don't actually ever remember preflighting an airplane outdoors at any deployed location only on Beale. I'm trying to remember fi I ever saw the same symbology preflighting anything else anywhere else and can't come up with it save when we were simulating it with our equipment. Most of my work on this type of equipment was in that instant though and due to certain pecularites of base speed limit and front gate road. It made alot of sense for the local cops to sit facing the base with a speed gun.

I do know that if you are retarded enough to have the flares unpinned and turned on while on the ground you can get a blackhawk to shoot off a flare with a heatheat or soldering iron, however it takes both a huge amount of stupidity and trying to get it to work is dangerous and and requires deliberate effort and a certain disregard for everything about the system in the Tech orders.

Comment

Working...
              X