X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don got it. Your question.

Comment

• I won a Bronze star with a bronze V for valor and a purple heart on battleship X. I also received a dishonorable discharge for "immature" activity. I served a total of 4 years. My career spanned 1942-1951. Who am I?

Comment

• Clearly no "two", just "swo." apologies for mangling your moniker desertswo! :)

Comment

• Originally posted by DonBelt View Post
          I won a Bronze star with a bronze V for valor and a purple heart on battleship X. I also received a dishonorable discharge for "immature" activity. I served a total of 4 years. My career spanned 1942-1951. Who am I?
          Easy one. Calvin Graham who joined the Navy at the age of 12 (he was very tall and muscular for his age and his father even "confirmed" he was 17). The give-away was "Battleship X" the USS South Dakota (BB-57). After his true age was discovered (after the battle against the IJN Kanashira) he was stripped of his medals and sent home in disgrace.

However, in 1994 President Carter reviewed the case (after a TV movie was made of him starring Ricky Schroder) he awards were restored.
          Last edited by RustyBattleship; 09 Apr 14,, 03:13.
          Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

• I debated putting in Battleship X, but I couldn't put his picture in, there aren't many that I could find and they would've been easy to track down and his age would've been an even easier give away. I'll dig a little harder next time. Your turn sir.

Comment

• I'll pass. Anything I think would be a good question would be way too easy for you guys.
              Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

• Originally posted by desertswo View Post
                Do me, and yourself a favor, and look at my handle. Now answer this simple question: "Do you see the word 'two' anywhere in that moniker?"
                Well, hell, answer me this? How many times have you had to point that out? More than once? Twice? Thrice?

It is almost an optical illusion as even EYE originally thought it was "two" way back when you were a little pup on the board. You pointed it to someone else and that is when my EYE took another look and saw that little "s" hiding in there. I think I change my handle to "tbm3efan" and see what happens

Being SWO might I expect incoming...

Comment

• Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
                  Well, hell, answer me this? How many times have you had to point that out? More than once? Twice? Thrice?

It is almost an optical illusion as even EYE originally thought it was "two" way back when you were a little pup on the board. You pointed it to someone else and that is when my EYE took another look and saw that little "s" hiding in there. I think I change my handle to "tbm3efan" and see what happens

Being SWO might I expect incoming...
                  On this board, I've only had to ask once. It may seem like a little thing, but I kind of figure that people take names for a reason. I try to honor that idea and work hard at not screwing up other's names. I have probably failed more than once, but I wouldn't take umbrage at being corrected if I have. I just try to do better next time. You have, sort of inadvertently, fallen upon one of the personality traits that make those of us in the Surface Warfare community less popular than the Roger Ramjets and Captain Nemos of the world; we eat our young. We have the reputation of being a singularly humorless bunch. Much of that reputation is indeed deserved.

Comment

• Ohh, I just can't resist! Not that I am trying to get out of "Mast" or brown nosing ......
                    But, how quickly we forget!
                    On both fronts of that little skirmish that occurred some decades ago the major credit of success was due to those SW guys shooting down those "Roger Ramjets" and sinking those "Captain Nemo's"

Comment

• Originally posted by NavyDoc View Post
                      Ohh, I just can't resist! Not that I am trying to get out of "Mast" or brown nosing ......
                      But, how quickly we forget!
                      On both fronts of that little skirmish that occurred some decades ago the major credit of success was due to those SW guys shooting down those "Roger Ramjets" and sinking those "Captain Nemo's"
                      As you know Doc, when you are a target, you had better learn to fish or cut bait. We learned to fish. I give you the Battle Off Samar as proof positive.

Comment

• Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
                        I'll pass. Anything I think would be a good question would be way too easy for you guys.

This painting depicts ,who, what and when.
                        Attached Files
                        Craig Johnson

Comment

• Battle of Sacheon, turtle-ships. Korea vs Japan? 1592

Comment

• Originally posted by DonBelt View Post
                            Battle of Sacheon, turtle-ships. Korea vs Japan? 1592
                            Right ship, combatants and year but wrong battle this one was considered the most important battle of the Imjin War
                            Craig Johnson

Comment

• This battle took place July 8, 1592
                              Craig Johnson

Comment

• Battle of Danghangpo?

Comment

Working...
                                X