This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Battleship IOWA View Post
    Recent research has found some crow species capable of not only tool use, but also tool construction. Crows are now considered to be among the world's most intelligent animals with an encephalization quotient equal to that of many non-human primates.
    http://www.wbur.org/hereandnow/2015/...lligence-gifts

Comment

• Back to the Crow. Crows and Ravens are closely related species. I think it was the Viking Rabna Floki (Floki of the Ravens) who used Ravens to find land. If the Raven flew back the way they came, then he sailed on a couple more days before releasing another bird. Finally one flew ahead of the ship (probably a Knor transport/cargo ship rather than a smaller Dragon warship). That meant land was straight ahead so he followed as the Raven (Crow) flies and founded Iceland.

I'll probably think of another question later. But don't wait for me.
      Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

• Question:

John Paul Jones is known as a famous American Naval hero. But what was his original Nationality and what other two names was he known under and why was he kicked out of his original Navy forcing him to come to America?

Comment

• Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
          Question:

John Paul Jones is known as a famous American Naval hero. But what was his original Nationality and what other two names was he known under and why was he kicked out of his original Navy forcing him to come to America?
          The Scottish sea captain was born John Paul. He later added Jones to his name. Not sure of the third name. He fled to Virginia rather than facing a trial in an Admiralty Court. The trial was for killing a mutineer, who was from an influential family.

I remember the great biography by Samuel Eliot Morrison. My uncle gave it to me as a Christmas gift for my 14th birthday. At the time I was wanting to go to the Naval Academy (He was a retired CDR) and was reading everything about USN history I could get my hands on.
          “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
          Mark Twain

Comment

• Your Question. Very good as I thought it would be fairly easy. Oh! As for the third name, there were times when he went by just John Jones or Paul Jones. After joining the American Navy he decided to use his full name (or rather the historians decided to use his full name).

Just wanted to get this thread going again.

Comment

• Thanks Dick

Give me some time and I'll post.
              Mark Twain

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	1471322

What is this and what is going on?
                Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                  [ATTACH]44304[/ATTACH]

Hmmmm! As Arte Johnson would say on "Laugh In", "Verdy Interesting".

As just a guess (while waiting for a miracle worker to appear to take out my cancer mass) that is obviously a heavy duty salvage crane (secured in place by by two tug boats). By the looks of the other Navy ships in the picture I would guess the era to be late 1920's to mid 1930's.

The shape of the structure and the super lifting power of the crane suggests to me it is salvaging sections of the (former) USS Squalus.

Just a guess mind you. Got nothing else better to do but my brother from Arizona did visit me for a few hours today (we are meeting at my home in Long Beach again tomorrow).

Comment

• Good guess, Dick. It is a salvage crane but it is not salvaging sections of a vessel.

Picture was taken at Pearl Harbor.

Good luck with the treatment.
                    Mark Twain

Comment

Good guess, Dick. It is a salvage crane but it is not salvaging sections of a vessel.

Picture was taken at Pearl Harbor.

Good luck with the treatment.
                      Could it be part of the upper shell plating of the Oklahoma? The Japanese attack left lots of ship and pier structures on the bottom. Many still there. Where the Oklahoma used to be is now Pier Foxtrot 5 where the Missouri is tied up to. That pier area was dredged out in the 1980's specifically for Iowa class Battleship "parking". Guess what came up in one of the dredging scoops?

A JAPANESE TORPEDO that was broken almost in two just aft of the warhead. Hmmm, I wonder if they ever got the brown stains out of the seat of the crane operator yet.

Comment

[ATTACH]44304[/ATTACH]

Oh, you are sneaky. From an obscure site which could take time ferreting it out.Talk about buried. Dick is on the right track but wrong BB for that pristine looking section.

Comment

• Cassion or drydock door?

Comment

• Originally posted by DonBelt View Post
                            Cassion or drydock door?
                            Nope

Hull patch
                            Mark Twain

Comment

• [QUOTE=Albany Rifles;1028626]Nope

Hull patch[/QUOTE

Ahh! A caisson "blister" for one of the other sunken Battleships. Oklahoma was ruled out and the Utah was a total loss. Nevada was beached but I think it was able to make it to dry dock without a blister. So I'm guessing the California (the only American BB ever built on the West Coast).

Comment

• [QUOTE=RustyBattleship;1028638]
                                Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                                Nope

Hull patch[/QUOTE

Ahh! A caisson "blister" for one of the other sunken Battleships. Oklahoma was ruled out and the Utah was a total loss. Nevada was beached but I think it was able to make it to dry dock without a blister. So I'm guessing the California (the only American BB ever built on the West Coast).
                                Rusty

It was from the Nevada Salvage operation. It was a patch for large torpedo hole in the hull. It did not work well and attempts to use it were abandoned. The Nevada made it into drydock the following day.

TBM3Fan was right. It was from an obscure source.

http://www.researcheratlarge.com/Shi...port/#SectionV

It Photo 41 in the document at the link. For a landlubber this was fascinating and I learned a ton about salvage operations.

Your up, Dick!
                                Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                                X