Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I told you I liked the name. So how fast on the draw are you with your question?
    Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
      I told you I liked the name. So how fast on the draw are you with your question?
      I was fascinated by the Silent Service in WW 2 as a teenager. Really glommed on to the stories of the Nautilus & Narwhal and how they supported a lot of the USMC Special Ops. Those 6 inch guns were something!

I'll have a question shortly.
      “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
      Mark Twain

Comment

• In what place in naval history does the Marques de la Habana have?
        Mark Twain

Comment

• Hmm, from my reading of some Spanish web site that term refers to a noble title given to Don Jose Gutierrez de la Concha, in 1857, by Queen Isabel II. I gather he was a Captian General in the Army among several other posts/titles. Born 1809 in Argentina and died 1895 in Madrid. . Title has carried down through the years through six others who are mainly the family blood line.

How any of this relates to naval history will be interesting and sounds somewhat obscure.

Comment

• Yeah, I did a deep dive.

A hint, it relates to a Civil War vessel.
            Mark Twain

Comment

• It seems this question will have to be approach from the side of Civil War history. One cannot approach it from the Spanish side since the only information regarding the title, and the man who had it at the time, are all in Spanish. While I am pretty good at reading Spanish I saw nothing in the short bios that had anything to do with anything naval, sea, or water related.

Comment

It seems this question will have to be approach from the side of Civil War history. One cannot approach it from the Spanish side since the only information regarding the title, and the man who had it at the time, are all in Spanish. While I am pretty good at reading Spanish I saw nothing in the short bios that had anything to do with anything naval, sea, or water related.

Oh it's definitely American Civil War.

Hint: It's Civil War service was entirely in fresh and brackish water.
                Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                  Oh it's definitely American Civil War.

Hint: It's Civil War service was entirely in fresh and brackish water.
                  I am going to go ahead and give the answer.

The Marques de la Habana was a pirate ship seized by the US Navy in 1860 in the Gulf of Mexico. Dockside in New Orleans, it was purchased and commissioned as the Confederate State Ship McRae and was assigned to the flotilla to defend the lower Mississippi River. She was badly damaged at the Battles of Fort Jackson & ST Philip. She flew a flag a truce and was allowed to remove the wounded form James & Philip and take them to New Orleans. After that the crew scuttled the badly damaged ship.

Open Thread
                  Mark Twain

Comment

• Ok, let's go far fetched.

The Duchy of Grand Fenwick has just declared war on the United States. However, the 20 intrepid soldiers need transport to New York City. What ship did they book passage on?

Comment

Ok, let's go far fetched.

The Duchy of Grand Fenwick has just declared war on the United States. However, the 20 intrepid soldiers need transport to New York City. What ship did they book passage on?
                      I'm going to say the RMS Titanic. Just because I want that to be the answer...

Comment

• A Tugboat?
                        Craig Johnson

Comment

• Cruiser has got the idea...

Comment

• RMS Ivernia

I own that movie!!!!

Mark Twain

Comment

• Haha, I was thinking this reminded me of a movie I watched many years ago! Been trying to remember what it was.

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                                RMS Ivernia

I own that movie!!!!

and there you go!

Comment

Working...
                                X