Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I read the whole article once I found it. Fascinating. The torpedo blast was clearly absorbed as designed with only the voids taking the brunt of the damage. Flooding of the lower decks happened for other reasons. The section on lessons learned is interesting reading. One caught my attention when it was suggested/implied that painting below decks should be kept to a minimum to provide less fuel for fire. Whether that got passed down the line or not I don't know. I do know, reading a book about one of our several disasters off Guadalcanal, that a US Captain decided to strip paint from the spaces below.

Comment

• Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
      I read the whole article once I found it. Fascinating. The torpedo blast was clearly absorbed as designed with only the voids taking the brunt of the damage. Flooding of the lower decks happened for other reasons. The section on lessons learned is interesting reading. One caught my attention when it was suggested/implied that painting below decks should be kept to a minimum to provide less fuel for fire. Whether that got passed down the line or not I don't know. I do know, reading a book about one of our several disasters off Guadalcanal, that a US Captain decided to strip paint from the spaces below.
      Yeah, the point about chipping paint caught with me as well. I think I first read it in Pacific War Diary. I think Fahey always was talking about chipping paint when he wasn't on watch!
      “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
      Mark Twain

Comment

• Ill pass on a question for now, I had one all written out but my daughters computer seems to have sent into the Twilight Zone. And now I have forgotten what it was.
        Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

• Okay....let me give something a shot.
          Mark Twain

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	ship explosion.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	165.5 KB
ID:	1471354

Where is it and what happened?
            Mark Twain

Comment

• Air raid on Bari. On 2 Dec 1943 an air raid by 105 German Ju-88s on the port of Bari resulted in 27 merchant ships sunk, 12 damaged (including two warships), and ~1000 military and ~1000 civilians killed. One merchant ship held a secret cargo of mustard gas, adding to the death toll.

My first thought was the West Loch disaster in Pearl, but the ship isn't an LST. Next thought was one of the disasters in Italy. I had to google it.

Comment

• Well done....you're up JRT!!!
                Mark Twain

Comment

• Ok, I haven't gone through all 397 pages of this thread, so hopefully this trivia hasn't been done before:

Many people know that the Tun Tavern in Philadelphia is acknowledged as the official birthplace of the US Marine Corps. What location is claimed to be the birthplace of the US Navy?

Comment

• Good one.

I've been to the monument at the most obscure one.
                    Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                      Well done....you're up JRT!!!
                      Just wild Donkey guess without looking it up: Paul Revere's Silversmith shop? He was also a Naval Architect and designed many warships & oversaw their construction. That's not taking into consideration his interrupted ride on horseback.
                      Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                        Well done....you're up JRT!!!
                        Wrong guy getting credit for this one.

It was "JCT" who answered the difficult question.

Comment

• Rusty,
                          No sorry! There are actually two towns vying for the honor. You are in the right state....

Comment

• Marblehead and Beverly. But there are several towns that make this claim. The Navy I believe, considers Philadelphia to be the actual birthplace because it is the first instance when an actual naval institution is created, while the other naval activities are undertaken by the continental army or privateers/civilians.

Comment

• Originally posted by DonBelt View Post
                              Marblehead and Beverly. But there are several towns that make this claim. The Navy I believe, considers Philadelphia to be the actual birthplace because it is the first instance when an actual naval institution is created, while the other naval activities are undertaken by the continental army or privateers/civilians.
                              That's it! Ding ding! You have the con!

Comment

• Whitehall, NY, in upstate New York on Lake Champlain also lays claim to home of the US Navy. The basis for this is the town Skenesborough (present-day Whitehall, New York), is where Benedict Arnold built his fleet of vessels which fought the British at the Battle of Valcour Island. It was the first fleet action by the US Navy.

There are actually 5 towns which claim the honor but the USN states Philly.
                                Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                                X