This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
    Oh, I just did a search of the thread and my post above was the first time that question (or anything to do with USNS Card) was asked.

I knew I wasn't getting old and senile. Still sharp as a marble
    Sorry Gunny. I learned of the USNS Card from this forum. I thought it was an incorrect answer on the USS Liberty. I don't say this to impress but I possess the IQ of a coconut husk.

Comment

• No biggie.

SO ask a question. The floor is all yours

Comment

• The floor is open

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	unknown vessel2.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	163.4 KB
ID:	1467695

???
          “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
          Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
            [ATTACH]40304[/ATTACH]

???
            The so called Bayou St. John submarine once belonging to the Confederate Navy.

Comment

• That thing looks like a friggin' death trap!

Comment

• Originally posted by desertswo View Post
                The so called Bayou St. John submarine once belonging to the Confederate Navy.
                I agree with you. It was discovered in 1878 off the coast of New Orleans and recovered by the Dearborne Machinery Motors and is now on display at the Louisiana State Museum. It was first thought to be the Confederate submarine "Pioneer" in error. So the closest it could be (but probably not) is the 1863 "Intelligent Whale".
                Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

• Very good, Sandy Skipper!

Its all yours.
                  Mark Twain

Comment

• Since my mother found this last weekend, I'll just sneak in here with this one:

????Click image for larger version

Name:	QuizQuestion5.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	1467728

Comment

• Awesome...what vessel.
                      Mark Twain

Comment

• Ahhh.... what vessel, and when? ;)

Comment

• Originally posted by Admiral Nelson View Post
                          Ahhh.... what vessel, and when? ;)
                          Oh, thought you were posting a photo of you that was cool.

USS Pittsburgh...award of the NDSM during the period June 27, 1950 – July 27, 1954.
                          Mark Twain

Comment

• Oh, no, this is my mother's brother. I was ~4 months old at the time of the image.

Not PITTSBURGH. I think perhaps at least one member of this forum was present this day.

Comment

• Originally posted by Admiral Nelson View Post
                              Since my mother found this last weekend, I'll just sneak in here with this one:

????[ATTACH]40338[/ATTACH]
                              USS NewJersey (BB-62), 1968 Viet Nam era. The photo was taken before she arrived at the Long Beach Naval Shipyard as the AN/ULQ-6B antennas on the outriggers at the 010 level are not in place yet. The Big "J" came into LBNSY before deployment to have some finishing up work done before deploying. This included finishing up the installation of those antennas.

Believe me, that's a very long way down to the next deck should you fall off of an outrigger. I know because I was assigned (from the Design Division) to monitor their installation.

The 40 mm gun tubs the Bosuns' Mate is standing in front of were cut off flush to the top of the wood decking just the day before deployment. However, that does not look like Long Beach in the background. Therefore the photo was taken probably while she was still in Philadelphia. He only other stop on the West Coast was North Island in San Diego and that is definitely not San Diego in the background.
                              Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

• I knew that Rusty would know :)
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	NJCommCover.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	398.0 KB
ID:	1467732
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	NJComm.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	157.2 KB
ID:	1467733