Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	resized_df4041df-19d4-44a4-a834-d8a69aaddf2a.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	1478255
      Craig Johnson

Comment

• The USS Alarm used a propulsion system called a “Fowler wheel”. I could not find any info on who this Fowler person is.
        The propulsion method is called a Cyclorotor or a “Voith–Schneider” propeller because of the German company that makes them today.
        I am told that the “Fowler wheel” vanes where inspired by the shape of a dolphins tail.

Click image for larger version

Name:	123.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	569.9 KB
ID:	1478276

So you have the ships name and it’s propulsion system, so all that’s left is the weapons systems and if you want the answer I would ask the Housatonic.
        Craig Johnson

Comment

• Just to close out the question the answer is “Spar Torpedo”.
          Craig Johnson

Comment

• New question:
            Of all the people interred aboard ship at Pearl Harbor only one was a baby girl. Who knows her story?
            Craig Johnson

Comment

• I don’t know if this is a hard question or is this quiz not as popular as it once was, too bad, if it is I have enjoyed it and learned a heck of a lot by following it, it would be sad to see it go.

Below is the story of “USS Utah’s Baby Nancy”

https://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=11004
              Craig Johnson

Comment

• I think the issue may be more lack of interest in WAB due to technical difficulties recently.

I try but can't get on here as much as I used to.
                “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                  I think the issue may be more lack of interest in WAB due to technical difficulties recently.

I try but can't get on here as much as I used to.
                  I agree the WBA is very slow or unavailable at times. Maybe we should start a “Go Fund Me” page to get them better bandwidth.

I also wondered if that was why I get no responses to question so this time I tracked the views and found that the question got over 5,000 views so not sure what to believe.
                  Last edited by Battleship IOWA; 24 Oct 19,, 20:57.
                  Craig Johnson

Comment

• Originally posted by Battleship IOWA View Post
                    I agree the WBA is very slow or unavailable at times. Maybe we should start a “Go Fund Me” page to get them better bandwidth.

I also wondered if that was why I get no responses to question so this time I tracked the views and found that the question got over 5,000 views so not sure what to believe.
                    I also wondered if that was why I get no responses to question so this time I tracked the views and found that the question got over 5,000 views so not sure what to believe.[/QUOTE]

I would question if those 5000 views were actually by people and not bots scouring the web for photos.

I think WAB has simply lost people due to the issues dealing with being able to login in at any given time. I seem to be back to doing well except after 2300 hours PST. I used to be the "night crew" as someone once put it but now I have to get in earlier.

Comment

• Originally posted by Battleship IOWA View Post
                      I don’t know if this is a hard question or is this quiz not as popular as it once was, too bad, if it is I have enjoyed it and learned a heck of a lot by following it, it would be sad to see it go.

Below is the story of “USS Utah’s Baby Nancy”

https://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=11004
                      An interesting story of the Utah which is pretty much forgotten. Being on the far side of Ford Island means out of sight out of mind.

Comment

Working...
                      X