This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Naval Quiz

This US naval vessel was docked at Trieste during the troubles there in the summer of 1946.
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

USS Fargo.
    "Liberty is a thing beyond all price.

Comment

Originally posted by Tin Man View Post
      USS Fargo.
      Correct. Your turn.

Comment

A little late but here you go!

What was the name of a survivor who escaped, unscathed, the sinking of the Bismark, was transferred to HMS Cossack, which was Torpedoed months later, then transferred to his third ship, HMS Ark Royal?
        Three weeks later, Ark Royal was torpedoed. The very same survivor was then sent to Belfast (the city), where he was put up at "The Home for Sailors" and finally expired in 1955?

Comment

Fritz

Comment

Originally posted by Tarek Morgen View Post
            Fritz

No. But in the same ballpark! This survivor actually has his own website.:)

Comment

Oscar the cat. I believe the Brits renamed him Sam.

Comment

Originally posted by 1idvet View Post
                Oscar the cat. I believe the Brits renamed him Sam.
                Correct.
                Good man! It`s a great story, Oscar brought destruction to every ship he sailed in, although, there was a war on!

Your question ,1idvet

Comment

What is the name of the only US Navy ship named in honor of a civilian - that never served in the US military, held high office or was a founding father of the United States?

Comment

Originally posted by 1idvet View Post
                    What is the name of the only US Navy ship named in honor of a civilian - that never served in the US military, held high office or was a founding father of the United States?
                    USS Winston Churchill DDG-81

There are actually a lot more if you don't like this one.
                    Last edited by Gun Grape; 16 Jan 08,, 23:24.

Comment

USS Dorothea L. Dix (AP-67)
                      USS Elizabeth C. Stanton (AP-69)
                      USS Florence Nightingale (AP-70)
                      USS Lyon (AP-71)
                      USS Susan B. Anthony (AP-72)

About a hundred more named after women alone:
                      List of U.S. military vessels named after women - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

What US Navy ship is named in honor of a husband and wife?

Comment

I guess I should have been a little more specific. Combatant ship would have been more correct.

One Navy Ship named in honor of a civilian - The USS Fessenden was the only combatant ship which commemorated the name of a civilian that never served in the US military, held high office or was a founding father of the United States. Mr. Reginald A. Fessenden demonstrated first voice modulated Radio transmission in 1900, and first phonograph transmission in 1906.

I cede the floor.

Comment

Originally posted by 1idVet
                            I guess I should have been a little more specific. Combatant ship would have been more correct.

One Navy Ship named in honor of a civilian - The USS Fessenden was the only combatant ship which commemorated the name of a civilian that never served in the US military, held high office or was a founding father of the United States. Mr. Reginald A. Fessenden demonstrated first voice modulated Radio transmission in 1900, and first phonograph transmission in 1906.

I cede the floor.
                            Don't remember Churchill serving in US military or holding any office in our country. And as a Burke class DD it is a combatant.

But I did say there are many. How about the USRC Harriet Lane from the mid 1800s. A ship that fought as part of both the USN and CSN

USN Ships--USS Harriet Lane (1861-1863)

Or one that fits into local history in Panama City
                            USS Bloomer (1856 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
                            Last edited by Gun Grape; 17 Jan 08,, 03:31.

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                              Don't remember Churchill serving in US military or holding any office in our country. And as a Burke class DD it is a combatant.

But I did say there are many. How about the USRC Harriet Lane from the mid 1800s. A ship that fought as part of both the USN and CSN

USN Ships--USS Harriet Lane (1861-1863)

Churchill held high office, Prime Minister of England.

Unique among First Ladies, Harriet Lane acted as hostess for the only President who never married: James Buchanan, her favorite uncle and her guardian after she was orphaned at the age of eleven. And of all the ladies of the White House, few achieved such great success in deeply troubled times as this polished young woman in her twenties.

I think that kind of counts as high office. She was known as the "Democratic Queen"...

Also, wasn't she a Revenue ship first? Doesn't count.

Bloomer doesn't count. That was a captured ship already named.
                              Last edited by 1idvet; 17 Jan 08,, 03:44.

Comment

Working...
                              X