Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Were those removed or painted over during the war?

I'll have a question shortly.
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

Comment

• What amphibious battle occurred precipitated by the transportation of naval equipment?
      Mark Twain

Comment

• Hint: It was in the War of 1812
        Mark Twain

Comment

• Battle of Craney Island?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Craney_Island
          "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

• Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
            Similar but nope!

Hint: It was a fresh water battle.
            Mark Twain

Comment

• Hint: It took place in New York State.
              Mark Twain

Comment

• Battle of Forts Clinton and Montgomery?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle...and_Montgomery
                Last edited by Ironduke; 14 Jun 18,, 15:57.

Comment

Battle of Forts Clinton and Montgomery?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle...and_Montgomery
                  The answer is the Battle of Big Sandy, June 1814, on Lake Ontario halfway between Osewgo & the US Naval base at Sacket's Harbor. An American militia force ambushed and force of about 800 British Royal Navy, Marines & First nation allies who rowed into Big Sandy Creek in order to intercept a supply column carrying naval stores to the shipyard at Sacket's Harbor. The British were ambushed in their boats and never got ashore. After their retreat and the area secure, the supply column was brought forward. One item carried was a 600 foot cable which was to be used on new vessels at Sacket's.

The 5 ton cable was carried by approx. 150 men.

http://www.wcny.org/education/war-of...g-sandy-creek/

Open thread
                  Mark Twain

Comment

• I just realized I scrolled past your hint and gave the name of a battle that took place in the Revolutionary War, not the War of 1812. I must've been distracted with something else at that moment.

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                      The answer is the Battle of Big Sandy, June 1814, on Lake Ontario halfway between Osewgo & the US Naval base at Sacket's Harbor. An American militia force ambushed and force of about 800 British Royal Navy, Marines & First nation allies who rowed into Big Sandy Creek in order to intercept a supply column carrying naval stores to the shipyard at Sacket's Harbor. The British were ambushed in their boats and never got ashore. After their retreat and the area secure, the supply column was brought forward. One item carried was a 600 foot cable which was to be used on new vessels at Sacket's.

The 5 ton cable was carried by approx. 150 men.

http://www.wcny.org/education/war-of...g-sandy-creek/

Open thread
                      This line caught my attention:

After my marriage I settled down as all farmers’ wives did at that time to a life of drudgery. I sometimes had some higher aspiration than making butter and cheese

I wonder what she would think of today and what she would aspire to in her life given the changing times and mores

Comment

• Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
                        This line caught my attention:

After my marriage I settled down as all farmers’ wives did at that time to a life of drudgery. I sometimes had some higher aspiration than making butter and cheese

I wonder what she would think of today and what she would aspire to in her life given the changing times and mores
                        21st century version:

After my marriage I settled down as a suburban mom, driving everywhere in a minivan, running errands to big box stores and strip malls, dropping off and picking the kids up from school, all while juggling that with my work life, where I worked from 9-5 in an office in front of a computer screen, looking at numbers and letters, hunched over a keyboard typing yet more numbers and letters. I sometimes had some higher aspiration, perhaps being a farmer's wife, making cheese and churning butter to sell at the farmer's market.

Comment

21st century version:

After my marriage I settled down as a suburban mom, driving everywhere in a minivan, running errands to big box stores and strip malls, dropping off and picking the kids up from school, all while juggling that with my work life, where I worked from 9-5 in an office in front of a computer screen, looking at numbers and letters, hunched over a keyboard typing yet more numbers and letters. I sometimes had some higher aspiration, perhaps being a farmer's wife, making cheese and churning butter to sell at the farmer's market.
                          I don't know what women you know but that doesn't fit any I knew in grad school. All were in the sciences and run the gamut from doctor, to engineers, to chemists, to lawyers and research.

Comment

• Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
                            I don't know what women you know but that doesn't fit any I knew in grad school. All were in the sciences and run the gamut from doctor, to engineers, to chemists, to lawyers and research.
                            Less than 15% of American adults have a graduate degree. You sir, are in some fairly exclusive company. :-)

Comment

• It's amazing what brute force and ignorance....backed up by the will and ability to stroke checks....gets you to achieve.

That's how I got my MA back in 93. I married a women in 89 who already had her MS in Nursing. She gave me one year of sitting on my ass reading books, drinking beer and watching sports. In fall 90, when it became apparent I was not deploying to Desert Shield, she said get off you ass and start a masters program. She didn't give a damn what it was in but just get it. So in January 91...just as the war started, I began my MA in Civil War history. I pissed her off that I would still sit in my chair reading, drinking beer and watching sports, but now I was studying. really. I had to read 1500-1800 pages a week. Fortunately I had been an Army officer for 10 years by then and knew how to read fast and soak it in. I loved grad school...really got to deep dive into the Civil War. The hardest part was writing 2 papers a semester (35-50 pages each) while I had to do travel from Richmond to Seattle quite often. I had to take 2 suitcases...one with uniforms and one full of books. I wrote many a paper in my hotel room!

Defended my thesis on the same day we closed on our house in December 92 (no stress that day!) and walked in May 93.

I'll have a question shortly.
                              Mark Twain

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	vessel1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	1477058

What is it?
                                Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                                X