This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The frigate Fulton.
    CENTENARY TODAY OF STEAM WARSHIP; First Sea Trip of the Naval Frigate ... - Article Preview - The New York Times

I can't believe nobody answered my question. The answer to the three aircraft carriers christened by Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon, the former Queen Mum Elizabeth, was the HMS Ark Royal.....HMS Ark Royal......and finally HMS Ark Royal.

Another question. What was the name of the first American battleship? Note she isn't BB-1 Indiana.
    Last edited by Sea Toby; 30 Jan 08,, 22:12.

Comment

Originally posted by Sea Toby View Post
      Another question. What was the name of the first American battleship? Note she isn't BB-1 Indiana.
      That would be Maine's sister ship Texas.
      “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Well, according to some, including Max Newhart's book on American Battleships the USS Maine was really our first Battleship. She was first christened the ACR-1 but later designated as a Second Class Battleship. Though some argue it was really an armored Cruiser.

But, I'll stick to the Maine anyway.
        Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

But the Maine was commissioned a month later, although she had more armored than the Texas.

Battleship Texas

Comment

But the Maine was commissioned a month later, although she had more armored than the Texas.

Battleship Texas
            I guess we can argue that for years. But may I ask a (probably simple) question?

What warship (not a converted merchant ship or cruise ship but built as a warship) had a "swimming pool" on board?

Comment

Would that be Onassis' yacht the Christina?

She was originally the HMCS Stormont, a frigate
              “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
              Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                Would that be Onassis' yacht the Christina?

She was originally the HMCS Stormont, a frigate
                No. Warships converted over to yachts don't count. Even John Wayne's yacht and Jacque Costeau's research ship used to be mine layers.

Same goes for other way around. Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth were troop carriers in WW II and were originally fitted with swimming pools. Same for the cruise ships converted to British troop carriers during the Falklands war.

The ship I'm asking for was built as a warship and was still classified as a warship when she had a swimming pool on board. As a matter of fact, she is still a warship but most of the swimming pool is gone (part of it is still there).

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post

The ship I'm asking for was built as a warship and was still classified as a warship when she had a swimming pool on board. As a matter of fact, she is still a warship but most of the swimming pool is gone (part of it is still there).
                  Russian Typhoon class SSBNs

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                    Russian Typhoon class SSBNs
                    You missed my hint. "Part of it is still there" (and ONLY on that ship and none of the others of its class).

Comment

Are you talking about the swimming pool put in around 1968? :)

Comment

You missed my hint. "Part of it is still there" (and ONLY on that ship and none of the others of its class).
                        Well Typhoons are warships. But if thats not the ones how about

Former liberty ship William J. Riddle that became USS Interrupter AGR 15, then had its name changed to USS Tracer AGR 15

Comment

Originally posted by RAL's_pal? View Post
                          Nice dual-use on those empty 40mm gun tubs eh?
                          I would have dearly loved to have met Captain Snyder, he seemed like a real card.

Speaking of swimming pools, Yamato had a dozen or so saltwater swimming pool/baths.
                          “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by RAL's_pal? View Post

That is correct. It was the 40mm gun tub on 01 level, stbd side about frame 85 on the New Jersey. But they only used it for a couple of days before the ship's surgeon put it off limits for not being chlorinated or filtered.

As for part of it still being there, when we cut the tubs off in 1982, I purposely left the outboard shield of the tub in place to give room for one more life raft rack. You can still see it if you visit the ship in Camden, NJ.

The other three ships had the deck and tub cut straight off.

Comment

The Blue eyed monster.;)
                              Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
                                The Blue eyed monster.
                                Gee Whiz, too bad there isn't someone on this board who might have access to the Jersey and might take a picture of what's left of the swimming pool since cRusty gave the exact location. Any ideas? :))

Comment

Working...
                                X