Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, whether or not that first picture is correct or not, you still got the answer correct Battleship Iowa as that is what the picture links to and what I was looking for.

Comment

• The green pic looks likes side-scan sonar to me so visibility would not be a problem.
      I have been researching BB’s for an Iowa project for about 2 years and I have found a lot of mislabeled photos and incorrect text but after a hundred years or so sometimes it’s hard to tell fact from fiction.
      But some pictures in this question are a good example.
      In the below picture you can see that a picture labeled “Rochester” can’t be the Rochester because it is missing the forward casement gun (yellow circle) of the New York. Also the port hole pattern is different and is a kind of fingerprint for ship identification.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1234.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	207.7 KB
ID:	1476314
      Craig Johnson

Comment

• I know the wreck picture is a composite picture and not a side scan. I noticed what looks like a prop just below in the composite which would indicate that the yellow circle is around the stern and here is a picture of the stern. Correcting that mistake makes the first stack now closer behind the bridge. Yet still doesn't jive with the picture of the ship at the Subic pier where I really can't make out that forward stack.
        Attached Files

Comment

• This is great stuff and makes me realize how much I do not know about this era! Thanks!

Comment

• These pictures were bugging me, so I started reading...
            What almost bugs me as much is it was so easy to find, lol!

From Wikipedia, regarding the New York ACR-2: In 1927 her boilers were reduced to four with two funnels,...

She was built with eight boilers, supplying four triple expansion steam engines. I wonder about the matchup of eight boilers and three funnels.

I see no such mention of this being done to the Rochester. Frankly, Wiki's story gets a little confusing at that point.
            Last edited by Cruiser; 12 Apr 18,, 21:28.

Comment

• And, it gets even more interesting!

After being built with eight boilers, but BEFORE ending up with just four (in a 1927 refit), she underwent a refit in 1909 where she was fitted with twelve boilers! She sure had an interesting life from a propulsion plant perspective!

Comment

• Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
                I know the wreck picture is a composite picture and not a side scan. I noticed what looks like a prop just below in the composite which would indicate that the yellow circle is around the stern and here is a picture of the stern. Correcting that mistake makes the first stack now closer behind the bridge. Yet still doesn't jive with the picture of the ship at the Subic pier where I really can't make out that forward stack.
                Thanks tbm3fan for the correction on the underwater photo.
                I hope someone, someday can solve this mystery but on the positive side it’s mysteries that often uncover new information that can lead you down a new path of knowledge, so long live mysteries.

But the quiz MUST go on.

Click image for larger version

Name:	bgtre.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	1476318

This plane has the unique distinction of being a member of a onetime only Navy squadron
                Craig Johnson

Comment

• Originally posted by Cruiser View Post
                  These pictures were bugging me, so I started reading...
                  What almost bugs me as much is it was so easy to find, lol!

From Wikipedia, regarding the New York ACR-2: In 1927 her boilers were reduced to four with two funnels,...

She was built with eight boilers, supplying four triple expansion steam engines. I wonder about the matchup of eight boilers and three funnels.

I see no such mention of this being done to the Rochester. Frankly, Wiki's story gets a little confusing at that point.
                  I had a feeling there were modifications made to her that would be difficult to pin down when. A lot of info on her stops in 1925. The two photos of her in Subic agree with each other over the two stacks. If you look at this site on her one can see where the info on her stops. I thought that composite picture was somewhat inaccurate as visibility of the wreck is generally terrible and so someone improvised.

http://www.navsource.org/archives/04/acr2/acr2.htm

Comment

• Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
                    I had a feeling there were modifications made to her that would be difficult to pin down when. A lot of info on her stops in 1925. The two photos of her in Subic agree with each other over the two stacks. If you look at this site on her one can see where the info on her stops. I thought that composite picture was somewhat inaccurate as visibility of the wreck is generally terrible and so someone improvised.

http://www.navsource.org/archives/04/acr2/acr2.htm
                    Now I am no expert on this and you being a diver know much more then me but I thought that the only way to get the kind of shadow you see from the aft mast could only be seen with a side scan sonar type of system. As you said with visibility being so bad how exactly did they get these optical pictures. Also why would someone fake this image unless it was to confuse future WAB Naval quiz participants.
                    Craig Johnson

Comment

• I believe that green image to be a composite, and the extra stack is a result of whoever made the composite trying to reconcile what he had to what he (incorrectly) thought was supposed to be there. He (or she) thought the ship had three stacks when she went down, so it was probably assumed there was some kind of problem with the new images. So an effort was made to correct that problem. I'd be curious to see the raw images.
                      In short, I think the fakeness was an honest mistake. I wonder if anyone there is even aware of it. Assuming I'm correct, that is.

Comment

• Originally posted by Battleship IOWA View Post
                        Now I am no expert on this and you being a diver know much more then me but I thought that the only way to get the kind of shadow you see from the aft mast could only be seen with a side scan sonar type of system. As you said with visibility being so bad how exactly did they get these optical pictures. Also why would someone fake this image unless it was to confuse future WAB Naval quiz participants.
                        Even though sites say composite photo I think it is more likely a composite drawing as yeah the visibility, on very good days, is a murky 30 feet. Not to mention light would only carry 10 feet at best in the murk. Lots of light reflected back by all the particles in the water.

As some divers have said, when down at the 27m level, you could pause a moment to look at something and then turn around and no longer see your dive buddy. Diving inside the ship, for technical wreck divers, is something I would never do given the murk and tremendous slit stirred up. Quick way to die as two divers found out not long ago.

Comment

• Now back to the Quiz.

In the above picture the UO-1 was modified to a FU-1.
                          Craig Johnson

Comment

• The only squadron to have its cockpit configuration change from a 1 to 2 seater because of moving from a catapult floatplane to a carrier aircraft.
                            “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                            Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                              The only squadron to have its cockpit configuration change from a 1 to 2 seater because of moving from a catapult floatplane to a carrier aircraft.
                              Good guess but this was an experiment exclusively on Battleships.
                              The squadron would assign one plane to each Battleship.
                              Craig Johnson

Comment

• Originally posted by Battleship IOWA View Post
                                Good guess but this was an experiment exclusively on Battleships.
                                The squadron would assign one plane to each Battleship.
                                Its a plane from VF-2B "The Flying Chiefs". A squadron with almost all enlisted pilots from the late 1920s to 1942. They were disbanded after the battle of Coral Sea.

I noticed the chevron on the tail

Comment

Working...
                                X