X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
    Ever read his books?
    I don't think so. I like SciFi in general and have read a few books of this type, but generally haven't been impressed. Heinlein's Starship Troopers has set a high bar that I find hard to overcome. But if you recommend him I'll look up one of his books.

I do really like the Honor Harrington series books by David Weber, although as he's sold more books his editors let him get away with these huge meandering books that are not as much fun.

If you liked the Sharpe TV series, I would definitely recommend the books by Bernard Cornwell. They can be hard to find, but are well worth the effort as Cornwell puts a lot of effort into his research.

Comment

• Originally posted by JCT View Post
      You got it! That story did give me the idea.
      One of the on-line stories I read included a little history of the Lady Lex, and it mentioned Heinlein. Curiosity compelled me to check his Wikipedia page and it had a section on his Naval service. Before then, I had no idea, lol.

I suppose this means the floor is mine? What is the accepted time frame for posting a question? I want to verify I have the correct answer to any question I can come up with...

Comment

• Originally posted by JCT View Post
        I don't think so. I like SciFi in general and have read a few books of this type, but generally haven't been impressed. Heinlein's Starship Troopers has set a high bar that I find hard to overcome. But if you recommend him I'll look up one of his books.

I do really like the Honor Harrington series books by David Weber, although as he's sold more books his editors let him get away with these huge meandering books that are not as much fun.

If you liked the Sharpe TV series, I would definitely recommend the books by Bernard Cornwell. They can be hard to find, but are well worth the effort as Cornwell puts a lot of effort into his research.
        Here is the Amazon link for the first one of his. It was pretty good.

https://smile.amazon.com/Heritage-Tr...ds=ian+douglas

As for Cornwell, you bet. I have read ALL of his books. Good writer. I actually met him last summer. It was at UMASS Dartmouth where he was one of the speakers. He lives on Cape Cod.

The head librarian at my local library always sends me an e-mail when they are getting a new one of his books in!
        “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
        Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Cruiser View Post
          I suppose this means the floor is mine? What is the accepted time frame for posting a question? I want to verify I have the correct answer to any question I can come up with...
          We used to say 72 to 96 hours.

If you need to research you can open up with the note you will be bumping later...I don't have one teed up so unless anyone else is set you can take a day or two.
          Mark Twain

Comment

• Thank you, AR. I have it now.

In keeping with the subject at hand,

What West Coast US city enjoyed a "special relationship" with the USS Lexington (CV-2), and what was the reason for it?

Comment

• Tacoma WaSHINGTON.

Lex was used to provide power to the city in Dec 1929 during the drought until the Lake Cushman dam refilled in Jan 1930.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                Tacoma WaSHINGTON.

Lex was used to provide power to the city in Dec 1929 during the drought until the Lake Cushman dam refilled in Jan 1930.
                You are correct, sir.

I found this fascinating. Especially the Lexington's ship's electrical service: Direct Current, supplied by 6 generators, each rated at 750 KW, 240 Volts DC. It took a bank of transformers to connect that to the city.

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2...ORypxhit72M&e=

I also found this:

http://www.navyhistory.org/2014/03/g...rian-services/

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                  Here is the Amazon link for the first one of his. It was pretty good.

https://smile.amazon.com/Heritage-Tr...ds=ian+douglas

As for Cornwell, you bet. I have read ALL of his books. Good writer. I actually met him last summer. It was at UMASS Dartmouth where he was one of the speakers. He lives on Cape Cod.

The head librarian at my local library always sends me an e-mail when they are getting a new one of his books in!
                  Sounds interesting, I'll have to check it out!

Comment

• This US Navy ship was scuttled and struck from the Navy records after receiving extensive damage. She was raised by an enemy Navy and served with them until after the war, when she was found by the US and recommissioned in the US Navy.

What ship is it?

Comment

• I've read enough about Java to know that the USS Stewart was scuttled and then raised by the Japanese until we retook possession in 1945.

Tough ship and it took some when they decided to put her down off San Francisco as a target.

Comment

• Correct.

USS Stewart, DD-224 a Clemson class destroyer. Known as Patrol Boat 102 in Japanese Service.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Stewart_(DD-224)

USS Stewart
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	USS_Stewart_(DD-224)_underway_c1930s.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	1476135

Patrol Boat 102 IJN
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	0522422.jpg
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	1476136

And I thought I had a hard question

Comment

• It pays to read old issues of Sea Classics :)

Now I'll have to use it to pull out a question. I have one in mind but need to see how to put forth in a manner that someone might have a chance when I re-read the article tonight. Want to use it as I like the name of the vessel involved.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	giphy.gif
Size:	591.8 KB
ID:	1476145
                            Mark Twain

Comment

• On Nov. 20, 1943 the Gilbert Islands were invaded at Tarawa and Makin. On Nov. 21st a submarine landed a Marine Scout Force on another smaller island in the group. In the process of doing so she was mistaken for a Japanese submarine by a U.S. Destroyer which did attack and put a 5" shell passing through said submarine's conning tower. Mission was completed and with some difficulty temporary on the spot repairs were made. She made Pearl for repairs. After 14 patrols she was decommissioned and then scrapped in 1945. What is the name of that submarine?

Thing, are you happy now?

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	laughing.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	1476146

USS Nautilus, a favorite of Marine special operations forces.
                                Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                                X