Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok what is this boat? Class and bonus if you can name her. I took the picture some years ago.
    Attached Files

Comment

• USS Moctobi, Abnaki-class tug. Photo taken in Richmond, CA. She was scrapped in 2012.

http://www.navsource.org/archives/09/39/39105.htm
      "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

• Cool history.

I wonder how many tugs we currently have in commission?

And whenever I see ocean going tugs I am reminded of Jan de Hartog's seminal work The Captain.
        “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
        Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
          USS Moctobi, Abnaki-class tug. Photo taken in Richmond, CA. She was scrapped in 2012.

http://www.navsource.org/archives/09/39/39105.htm
          That's the one. She was stashed there with another sister Quapaw. Ran across them very early on when I went out to visit SS Red Oak Victory that was in it's early years for restoration. Once I figured out what the Fleet tugs were I contacted Navsource to let them know where they were and to update "unknown". Much later on, in late 2011 or very early 2102, Quapaw sank at her moorings in one of the old Kaiser Shipyard dry docks.
          Attached Files

Comment

• What submarine is this in the foreground? My dad served on her for 7 years. I don't know if he's in the photo or not though.

Bonus: Do you see the easter egg from the previous question in the photo?

Last edited by Ironduke; 08 Feb 18,, 01:01.

Comment

• It took a while for me to notice the sub in the background

SSBN 658 Mariano G. Vallejo

Comment

• Yep, you got it. Obviously the 658 is a dead giveaway. :-)

In the upper left though, behind the sub, do you see the easter egg that's in the previous post?

Comment

• The tug from the previous question.

SSBN 658 Mariano G. Vallejo was the last active 41 for Freedom SSBNs. And built in Vallejo Ca at Mare Island Naval shipyard. The City named for the same person as the sub.

Comment

• The last aerial torpedo attack was launched from what ship?

Comment

• Not sure which Abnaki-class tug it was specifically, but yup, you got it. You're up.

Comment

• Still there in part
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Reposting the current question. So it doesn't get lost in the shuffle.

The last aerial torpedo attack was launched from what ship?

Comment

• No target specified so I'll throw out CV-37 Princeton here:

https://www.defensemedianetwork.com/...e-hwachon-dam/
                            Last edited by tbm3fan; 08 Feb 18,, 17:41.

Comment

• And you would be correct. VA-195 Tigers carried out the last Aerial Torpedo attack flying AD-1 Skyraiders off the USS Princeton.

Princeton,an Essex class carrier, also recovered Apollo 10 I hear that the Hornet has a SH-3D dressed up as Old 66. The recovery helo for 5 Apollo missions.

From the mission VA-195 got the new nickname "Dambusters". They now fly F-18Es as VFA-195.

Wow just realized that I tied 3 WAB threads in this question. Builder2010s USS Essex build, Your Hornet thread and My F-18 builds. Sweet

Chippy Ho!

Your turn

Comment

• Our helo is actually the one that flew in the movie Apollo 13 as #66. Of course we all know #66 is at the bottom of the ocean off San Diego from a training accident. We picked up ours in the desert when one of our volunteers, a SH-3D crew chief, recognized the craft and punched in the bureau # for a search. Once we knew for sure we pulled that one out to be ours. Mostly complete, and now fully complete and accurate all due to that crew chief. More searching led to further information that this particular helo did pick up a Gemini mission.

Shot from the movie. I'll research my question tonight when home. By the way who can spot the error in the markings of the movie version vs. the real version?
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X