Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hrumphh!!! Ok, thnks for the hint! I make them USS Pidgeon and USS Ortalan? I think these catermarans could have supported DSRV ALIVIN though? I could be way wrong on that.

I took the Kellie and Dolores as DSRV support ships but they are only DSRV capable I think.
    "Liberty is a thing beyond all price.

Comment

Originally posted by Tin Man View Post
      Hrumphh!!! Ok, thnks for the hint! I make them USS Pidgeon and USS Ortalan? I think these catermarans could have supported DSRV ALIVIN though? I could be way wrong on that.

I took the Kellie and Dolores as DSRV support ships but they are only DSRV capable I think.

Okay. Next question is yours.
      Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Originally posted by 1idvet View Post
        What is the name of the only US Navy ship named in honor of a civilian - that never served in the US military, held high office or was a founding father of the United States?
        I believe the USS Holt, a Knox class frigate, was named after an Australian Prime Minister, much like Winston Churchill, an Arleigh Burke destroyer, was named after a British Prime Minister. All the way with LBJ.... Harold E. Holt FF 1074.
        Last edited by Sea Toby; 20 Jan 08,, 13:45.

Comment

Name the three British aircraft carriers the former Queen Mum, Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon christened? Give away hint: the same name.
          Last edited by Sea Toby; 20 Jan 08,, 13:49.

Comment

Ok, what was the largest submarine kill of WWII in terms of a single attacked ship.
            What was the victims tonnage?
            Where did it happen?
            What was the name or ID of the submarine?

Comment

Originally posted by Tin Man View Post
              Ok, what was the largest submarine kill of WWII in terms of a single attacked ship.
              What was the victims tonnage?
              Where did it happen?
              What was the name or ID of the submarine?
              do you mean the largest ship sunk by a submarine, or the highest loss of life..

for largest ship

IJS Shimano
              62,000 tons
              Inland Japanese Sea
              USS Archerfish 4 torpedoes

for greatest loss of life
              Wilhelm Gustloff
              9400+ dead
              Baltic Sea
              S-13 (Soviet Submarine) 3 torpedeos

Comment

Originally posted by dundonrl View Post
                do you mean the largest ship sunk by a submarine, or the highest loss of life..

for largest ship

IJS Shimano
                62,000 tons
                Inland Japanese Sea
                USS Archerfish 4 torpedoes
                Spot on, and I was indeed talking of displacement. This happened in the Kumano sea? The Japanese had different names for the same stretches of water. I also have a different displacement figure for the Shimano, but I don`t really want to go there! A mere trifle!

Your question dundonrl.

Comment

Archerifsh

As I recall, the Archerfish was considered a bit of a bad luck sub....this combat cruise was a real break through for it. Two of the points that stick out with me is 1) one of the torperdoes stuck right on the butt end af a transverse mounted beam. The explosion blew it clear out of the hull on the far side...greatly increasing the damage (lucky shot!) 2) The Japanese damage control aboard the Shinano was pretty bad. And when DC crew fired up the vents, it spread gasoline fumes thoughout the ship which turned it into a giant bomb.
                  “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                  Mark Twain

Comment

Archerfish/Shinano:

Also, Shinano was on her way to a "Fitting Out" shipyard to have a few details done like installing ALL of the water tight doors and finish piping up the fire pumps and some menial ballast pumps.

I know it's not my turn to ask a question, but this reminded me of something I read in my book of the Shinano (and later verified by our last shipyard Commander who spent some time over there).

Shinano was built in a dry dock so its launching was actually a filling of the dry dock with water.

What mistake was done with the Caisson?
                    What did Shinano do?
                    What disciplinary action was taken with the docking officer?

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
                      What mistake was done with the Caisson?
                      What did Shinano do?
                      What disciplinary action was taken with the docking officer?
                      What mistake was done with the Caisson? The ballast tanks inside the caisson (the drydock "gate" seperating the dock from the bay) had never been flooded.

Once they started flooding the drydock, the gate blasted open, instantly flooding the dock.

What did Shinano do? She slammed back and forth against the other end of the dock 2 or 3 times, with her bow taking the brunt of the damage.

I can only imagine what that must have looked and sounded like

What disciplinary action was taken with the docking officer? That I don't know. More than likely he was "invited onward".
                      “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by 1idvet View Post
                        What is the name of the only US Navy ship named in honor of a civilian - that never served in the US military, held high office or was a founding father of the United States?
                        In a matter of speaking, that could include quite a few .... unless one really wants to get difficult and say that submarines are boats and are excluded from the question. (I take it you mean never held high office in the United States)

Ie, the Tecumseh (SSBN-628) and the Kamehameha (SSBN-642).

The other thing is that Alvin IS NOT a DSRV ...... it's a DSV. I suppose an ASR could support it, but that would be something extreme since there are other ships better suited for that such as the Atlantis. (starboard view is the Atlantis, top view is the Thomas G. Thompson, lead ship). (from navsource.org)

By the by, for Alvin, it's not a hanger ...... it's a garage.
                        ---------------------------------------------
                        ("Rescue? Who said anything about rescue?"--Super heroine flying off with pretty victim from a skyscraper fire, (w,stte), A Playboy cartoon)
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                          What mistake was done with the Caisson? The ballast tanks inside the caisson (the drydock "gate" seperating the dock from the bay) had never been flooded.

Once they started flooding the drydock, the gate blasted open, instantly flooding the dock.

What did Shinano do? She slammed back and forth against the other end of the dock 2 or 3 times, with her bow taking the brunt of the damage.

I can only imagine what that must have looked and sounded like

What disciplinary action was taken with the docking officer? That I don't know. More than likely he was "invited onward".
                          You must have the same book as I have. But for neglecting to flood the ballast tanks of the caisson, the docking officer (actually the chief engineer of the shipyard) was "invited onward" to commit sepuko.

Comment

You must have the same book as I have........
                            To hijack this thread for a bit, hey cRusty, speaking of books.....

Comment

You must have the same book as I have.
                              Written by Captain Enright? :)

But for neglecting to flood the ballast tanks of the caisson, the docking officer (actually the chief engineer of the shipyard) was "invited onward" to commit sepuko.
                              Heh, I was right (just click on those underlined words in my post :)) )

Go ahead and ask another question Dick, I don't have a good one ready
                              “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Since it's been a week since somebody last asked a question, I'll shoot.

What was the original name of the first US naval vessel to incorporate steam power?
                                "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Working...
                                X