Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This isn't the site that I took the original trivia from, but the following quote is from the USN's History and Heritage Command. Sort of interesting how they haven't nailed down a single birthplace, but puts the LCS source selection (NOT!) into perspective. So my original answer is wrong....a few more towns out there claiming the privilege.

Because the Continental Navy began in Philadelphia on 13 October 1775, the Navy claims that date as its birthday. A logical corollary would be to recognize Philadelphia as the Navy's birthplace. The Navy, however, also honors the significant naval roles that many other towns played in the American Revolution and does not recognize any as its sole place of origin.

Several localities, in addition to Philadelphia, claim the title "birthplace of the Navy." Machias, Maine, points to the seizing of the Royal Navy schooner Margaretta by a small sloop armed with woodsmen on 12 June 1775.

Providence, Rhode Island, asserts its title as the site of the first call for the establishment of a Navy. Beverly and Marblehead, Massachusetts, base their claim on their role in fitting out and manning the small fleet of schooners George Washington employed in the autumn and winter of 1775 to prey on enemy transports. The claim of Whitehall, New York, is based on naval and amphibious operations on Lake Champlain undertaken by the Continental Army under the command of Benedict Arnold. It should be noted that Washington's and Arnold's operations were manned and officered entirely under the authority of the Continental Army. There was no institutional continuity between Washington's or of Arnold's command and the Continental Navy, established as a separate institution by the Continental Congress. The United States Navy considers its beginnings to have been the Continental Navy, not the Continental Army.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	whitehall.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	1471367

Actually visited this site about 6 years ago leading a Ticonderoga-Saratoga Tour.
      “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
      Mark Twain

Comment

• Very nice!

Comment

Name:	fire.jpg
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	1471372 What does this fire have to do with Operations Torch, Husky, Avalanche, Overlord and summer vacation?

Comment

• Unless I'm mistaken that is the Malden Mills fire. Aaron Feuerstein was the owner who kept it going.

Does it have to do with his WW 2 service?
            Mark Twain

Comment

• No, not the Malden Mills fire. This one was in 1980, much further south. And I don't mean South Shore like Quincy or Marshfield, I mean a southern-ish state.

Click image for larger version

Name:	14444768_10154537317198205_189572282104105936_o.jpg
Size:	882.2 KB
ID:	1471449 Here it is in earlier days.

Comment

• Is that the Chamberlin Hotel by Fort Monroe?

That is where the commanders and staffs before those invasions set out from Hampton Roads. Its also near FT Wool, or Rip Rap Island, where Presidents Jackson & Tyler vacationed.
                Mark Twain

Comment

• Not quite, but close enough, I suppose. The Nansemond Hotel in Oceanview had all the guests on summer vacation evicted so that the new AMBHIBLANT command could move in.
                  http://hamptonroadsnavalmuseum.blogs...ion-plans.html

It had become somewhat of a welfare hotel by 1980, but still had a room dedicated to the landings planned from there with a number of artifacts from the period.

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1980/11...3245343890000/

Comment

Name:	unique-vessel.jpg
Size:	249.5 KB
ID:	1471456

??????
                    Mark Twain

Comment

• Looks like the boat of the "Filthy Beast". Now how many are going to go, huh?

Comment

• Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
                        Looks like the boat of the "Filthy Beast". Now how many are going to go, huh?

I don't have a good question to replace this one, so I will add a hint.

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...712110331.html

Comment

Looks like the boat of the "Filthy Beast". Now how many are going to go, huh?
                          Nope.

It did appear in the movies but not that one.

It was a commissioned vessel in World War 2.
                          Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                            Nope.

It did appear in the movies but not that one.

It was a commissioned vessel in World War 2.
                            Well didn't JRT practically come out slyly and name the boat in the newspaper article?

Comment

• "The Wackiest Ship In The Army"? In the movie and TV show it was still called the USS Echo. But the real ship was a "secret raider". The only other photo I saw of her was when the :Life Boat" was split in two, it exposed a single 40 mm auto gun good for punching holes in enemy patrol boats, submarine conning towers, etc.
                              Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Well didn't JRT practically come out slyly and name the boat in the newspaper article?
                                I missed JRT's post.

You got it, JRT.
                                Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                                X