Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I seem to remember a story of Churchill and an American farm tractor designed by Benjamin Holt.
    Craig Johnson

Comment

• Originally posted by Battleship IOWA View Post
      I seem to remember a story of Churchill and an American farm tractor designed by Benjamin Holt.
      BINGO! After Churchill witnessed the ravine ("trench") crossing capability he knew it was the answer for a broken ground vehicle. But be careful in looking up the Holt tractor. One site shows it as a half-track. Well, Holt did build one that way -- later -- as the front wheels made it easier to steer. The Holt that impressed the Assistant Minister of the Royal Navy was a full tracked version.

Your question.
      Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

• Name the naval disaster that if not covered up could have strained Anglo-American relationship at a pivotal time in history.
        Craig Johnson

Comment

• Close to 1,000 Americans died in the fiasco.
          Craig Johnson

Comment

• Originally posted by Battleship IOWA View Post
            Name the naval disaster that if not covered up could have strained Anglo-American relationship at a pivotal time in history.
            Originally posted by Battleship IOWA View Post
            Close to 1,000 Americans died in the fiasco.
            Would that be the (pre- D-Day invasion) beach landing rehearsal Exercise Tiger, 27 April 1944, off Slapton Sands, G.B.?

https://www.history.navy.mil/researc...ion-tiger.html

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...C_Normandy.jpg
            Last edited by JRT; 23 Sep 16,, 01:30.

Comment

• Correct!!! JRT your question?
              Craig Johnson

Comment

• Been awhile so who knows the flag?
                Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
                  Been awhile so who knows the flag?
                  Commodore Matthew Perry Expedition to Japan?

Comment

• Correct and last night I read the story about how it arrived on the Missouri from Washington carried by one man with Priority One travel meaning he could bump anyone off a plane for him to get on. Today it could get there in 14 hours from Washington. Back then it was near 60 hours at least. Didn't count the hours per se but one comment of 56 hours and he still wasn't in Japan.

Comment

• Yeah. Most people thought that sailors were too dumb and put the flag up backwards.

All you had to do was count the stars and THEN would know the flag was of historical significance.

Comment

• Well, nobody has come up with a question. So I will try another.

Why is a ship's displacement (weight) measured in LONG TONNES (2,240 lbs/tonne) rather than STANDARD TONS (2,000 lbs/ton)?

Comment

• If memory serves me right... it was the "tuns", the casks, of wine that weighed that amount, 2,240 lbs. It became a measurement standard because of that.

Comment

• Originally posted by _UXcva View Post
                            If memory serves me right... it was the "tuns", the casks, of wine that weighed that amount, 2,240 lbs. It became a measurement standard because of that.
                            Sorry, but don't feel too bad about it because their is (sort of) a hint in your answer.

Comment

• Hint: How much does fresh water weigh per cubic foot and how much does sea water weigh per cubic foot?

Comment

• I was pretty sure sea water was a little more than fresh water when I was thinking a gallon of water and it was 8.56 vs 8.35. Of course the entire link started out using cubic foot at 64.0 vs. 62.2 lbs. or about one tenth of a pound, per pound, more for sea water given that it is slightly denser. I had this chemistry back in 1973 so I needed help although I did know the weight of a gallon of water and salt would add a little weight. So given this a ship could have two weights depending on whether it sailed the ocean or the Great Lakes in theory. Yet I don't know if a distinction is actually made in real life.

Comment

Working...
                                X