Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hate to be picky guys, but as Albany` has said, this was not a man-o-war. The original question was, "which USN ship....."

I am just being picky aren`t I? Haha! Over to you Albany`!!
    "Liberty is a thing beyond all price.

Comment

I am trying not to get stuck by 12 hour rule.

I will have something by 1200 EST
      “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
      Mark Twain

Comment

Who or what was the Iron Woman?
        Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
          Who or what was the Iron Woman?
          Wow, the choice is endless but I am going to stick my neck out and say....

The USS Cabot (CVL-28). Named "The Iron Woman" by writer Ernie Pyle after seeing her survive a Kamikaze attack on November 25, 1945.

Comment

Tin Man

BRAVO ZULU!!!

It was my dad's ship...and he was there that day 25 NOV 44....as a fireman 1st calss was awarded a Bronze Star for valor.
            Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Tin Man View Post
              Wow, the choice is endless but I am going to stick my neck out and say....

The USS Cabot (CVL-28). Named "The Iron Woman" by writer Ernie Pyle after seeing her survive a Kamikaze attack on November 25, 1945.
              Formerly the light cruiser Wilmington CL-79 originally ordered as a Cleveland class cruiser which became an Independence class light carrier.
              Last edited by Dreadnought; 18 Jan 08,, 18:54.
              Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Dreadnought

Yup...nice job.

The Cabot was the last CVL or CVE left until it was broken up in 2002

There was a model of her at the Naval Aviaiton Museum in P-cola in 1990...not sure since.
                Mark Twain

Comment

BRAVO ZULU!!!

It was my dad's ship...and he was there that day 25 NOV 44....as a fireman 1st calss was awarded a Bronze Star for valor.
                  Wow! That is a great story.:) She had something like 97 holes in her at the time of the attack with a lot of damage to her hangar deck. Pyle singled out the damage control team for their remarkable professionalism and bravery. USS Cabot even stayed on the line . Of course you know all of this! Incredible. You must be a proud son, hat`s off to your old man:)

Am I right in thinking that she was restored in some way, back in 1997-98? Had no idea Cabot was broken up, seems a shame if indeed the work was done. Next post will be my question, hope I post in time!

Comment

What is the official motto for the U.S. Navy?

Comment

What is the official motto for the U.S. Navy?
                      Navy Motto

There is no official motto for the U.S. Navy. "Non sibi sed patriae" (Not self but country) is often cited as the Navy's motto, however.
                      Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
                        Navy Motto

There is no official motto for the U.S. Navy. "Non sibi sed patriae" (Not self but country) is often cited as the Navy's motto, however.
                        Correct !?:) Over to you sir!

Comment

USS Cabot MuseumAm I right in thinking that she was restored in some way, back in 1997-98? Had no idea Cabot was broken up, seems a shame if indeed the work was done. Next post will be my question, hope I post in time![/QUOTE]

She was the Spanish navy ASW carrier Dadalo for awhile but sadly, she went to the breaker yard in 2002.

Dad's battle station was on the steam throttle in the fire room. When the ship was hit, a steam line got ruptured and they lost electrical power in fire room. My dad crawled through pipes in pitch black darkness to the cutoff wheel It took him 27 turns to close the valve which rerouted the steam line and power restored. Dad said he remembered 2 things...the shriek from steam line rupture (on the other side of a bulkhead which was why his compartment was safe) and someone yelling. He later realized the yelling was himself...saying the Rosary at the top of his lungs! In our family the phrase 27 Turns came to mean getting a job done because it had to get done and others were counting on you.

BTW, he was 18 years old.

F1C Paul G. Buchanan 1926 - 2000

Yeah, we're proud of him.
                          Mark Twain

Comment

When we used to have a perfectly workable rescue system for submariners (whose sub did not go below crush depth) we had two Deep Submergence Rescue Vehicles with their surface support ships.

What were the names of the DSRVs?

What were the names of the surface support ships?

Below is a pic I took of the West Coast based ASR rotting away in Benecia.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Dad's battle station was on the steam throttle in the fire room. When the ship was hit, a steam line got ruptured and they lost electrical power in fire room. My dad crawled through pipes in pitch black darkness to the cutoff wheel It took him 27 turns to close the valve which rerouted the steam line and power restored. Dad said he remembered 2 things...the shriek from steam line rupture (on the other side of a bulkhead which was why his compartment was safe) and someone yelling. He later realized the yelling was himself...saying the Rosary at the top of his lungs! In our family the phrase 27 Turns came to mean getting a job done because it had to get done and others were counting on you.

BTW, he was 18 years old.

F1C Paul G. Buchanan 1926 - 2000

Yeah, we're proud of him.
                              All of that as an 18 year old kid, and a new generation of kids are going through it all again in the desert....Lest we forget....:)

Rusty`

If I may, DSRV 1-Mystic. DSRV 2- Avalon.
                              Support ships, M/V Kellie Chouest, homeport San Diego.
                              M/V Dolores Chouest, homeport Norfolk. One either coast.

Comment

Rusty`

If I may, DSRV 1-Mystic. DSRV 2- Avalon.
                                Support ships, M/V Kellie Chouest, homeport San Diego.
                                M/V Dolores Chouest, homeport Norfolk. One either coast.
                                You are correct ONLY with the DSRV's. But totally way off base on their support vessels.

Hint: They are catamarans so the DSRV can manuever between the hulls and be picked up for deck stowage. Take another look at that picture I posted.

Comment

Working...
                                X