X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tin Man View Post
    You would be correct sir! :)
    What of part two of my question? ;)
    I'm afraid I don't have the first idea. The maritime world is largely a mystery for me.
    Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

Which allied aircraft accounted for the most axis shipping destroyed in WWII in terms of tonnage ?

What was the total tonnage figure ? A ballpark figure will do.
      When you say "Axis" you are referring to the ETO only, correct?

Somewhere around 140,000 tons sunk...more or less.
      “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

• Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
        When you say "Axis" you are referring to the ETO only, correct?

Somewhere around 140,000 tons sunk...more or less.
        Yes, I see where you could take this! Her majesty`s website does indeed refer to German/Italian "Axis" forces, when you look past the bullet header, so it would seem my question might have been a little spurious!

It poses an interesting question. If we include the Pacific theatre, would the Stringbag still be king?

140,000 tons is a long way out according to the site, which is reputable and should know its own historical records you would think!
        "Liberty is a thing beyond all price.

Comment

• Hmmmm. I would have thought of Grumman TBF's and TBM's with their torpedos along with Douglas Dauntless Dive Bombers.

After all, Japan was a member of the Axis powers and had a bigger Navy.
          Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

• Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
            Hmmmm. I would have thought of Grumman TBF's and TBM's with their torpedos along with Douglas Dauntless Dive Bombers.

After all, Japan was a member of the Axis powers and had a bigger Navy.

I would have to say the SBD Dauntless w/ 5 carriers to its credit as well as numerous DDs, CLs, CAs and merchies.
            “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
            Mark Twain

Comment

• Damn. I am still digging but have found nothing definitive. I will have to alter my question to include only the European theatre. Of course "axis" included Japan. An oversight in the information I looked at.

Glyn got the aircraft correct, nobody has the tonnage dispatched as yet.:)

Comment

Damn. I am still digging but have found nothing definitive. I will have to alter my question to include only the European theatre. Of course "axis" included Japan. An oversight in the information I looked at.

Glyn got the aircraft correct, nobody has the tonnage dispatched as yet.:)
                Are you including those Italian Battleships, sunk in harbor, by Swordfish? An attack that was a role model for the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor.

Comment

• Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
                  Are you including those Italian Battleships, sunk in harbor, by Swordfish? An attack that was a role model for the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor.
                  That is a yes. The figure of tonnage quoted, summarises total tonnage sunk by Swordfish aircraft against German and Italian axis forces. It will certainly include the Taranto victims as it fits the criteria.

In general, if forces sink a ship in combat but that combatant is re-floated and salvaged, does that ship kill become null? Just a question, I would think it would be chalked up as a kill, even if you have to kill it again!

Comment

140,000 tons is a long way out according to the site, which is reputable and should know its own historical records you would think!
                    I'm sorry, I don't quite understand your wording. Are you saying my figure is too large or too small?
                    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

• Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                      I'm sorry, I don't quite understand your wording. Are you saying my figure is too large or too small?
                      Sorry for any confusion, 140,000 tons is the wrong figure. :)

Comment

In general, if forces sink a ship in combat but that combatant is re-floated and salvaged, does that ship kill become null? Just a question, I would think it would be chalked up as a kill, even if you have to kill it again!
                        It would still be a kill as it is the option of the country owning the ship to raise it, repair it and modify it. At least you would have put it out of action for a considerable period - like our Battleships at Pearl Harbor. Only two (not counting Utah that was no longer classified as a BB) didn't come back. But they were still "kills".

Comment

• Thanks Rusty. I think it would be proper to hand the next question over to Glyn as he got the aircraft type correct. I am willing to bypass the tonnage question as a mere anecdote.
                          Tophatter, the figure quoted is 300,000 tons of shipping, on the Royal Navy Historical Flight site.

It would be interesting to see what the most successful allied aircraft was against all axis naval forces, in all theatres. Albany, the Dauntless could be a good guess.

Comment

• The Avenger and the Helldiver have the Musashi and Yamato to share as well as I believe 4 hybrid carrier/battleships as well as CAs, CLs, etc. But the tonnage would have to be split between them. The SBDs were teh only things which got hits at Midaway.
                            “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                            Mark Twain

Comment

Thanks Rusty. I think it would be proper to hand the next question over to Glyn as he got the aircraft type correct. I am willing to bypass the tonnage question as a mere anecdote.
                              Tophatter, the figure quoted is 300,000 tons of shipping, on the Royal Navy Historical Flight site.

It would be interesting to see what the most successful allied aircraft was against all axis naval forces, in all theatres. Albany, the Dauntless could be a good guess.
                              The Stringbags tally also included submarines and other ships sunk by rockets. I bet the Americans wished they could have had such a technically advanced aircraft as the Swordfish! :))
                              I decline the next question as I didn't get the tonnage. Back to you, dear heart!
                              Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

• I'll give it a shot.

What German submarine was sunk by Chicago?

Comment

Working...
                                X