Windows Vista

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Vista

I have recently gotten my first real exposure to Windows Vista, and I've got just one question. What were they thinking? "We've got a 90% market share, but that's too much, so let's see how we can whittle it down to 80%?"

I'm really glad I own a copy of Windows XP so I can downgrade.

I'm keeping XP Pro indefinitely. I'd rather use Windows 2000. I expect Windows 7 to be even worse than Vista.
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Vista...grrr. And of course my school had to switch over on all its computers.
      I enjoy being wrong too much to change my mind.

Comment

Yep. I just rebuilt my system and deliberately bought a copy of XP Pro. Why mess with what works?

What is Vista like? Slow? Hog? Driverless?

-dale

Comment

Slow, confusing, and annoying. Stupid cute graphics use up all your memory. It's okay though, it takes me so long to figure out where they put everything that it's not so noticeable.
          I enjoy being wrong too much to change my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by dalem View Post
            Yep. I just rebuilt my system and deliberately bought a copy of XP Pro. Why mess with what works?

What is Vista like? Slow? Hog? Driverless?

-dale
            50% XP, 50% Mac OS X. They're trying to match Apple with their GUI.
            "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

It does its best to use all of your computer, making everything else significantly slower. I've also found that it is far more difficult to make it do what you want (manipulating your system or programs loaded onto your system is much harder... and figuring out what is wrong is also more difficult).
              Last edited by lwarmonger; 10 Jan 08,, 06:48.

Comment

PC World calls it the biggest tech disappointment of 2007
                Keyboard is mightier than gun

Comment

Ah vista how i hate it.
                  It made my new core2duo laptop run slower than the old athlon xp machine i bought 5 years ago.
                  2 gb of ram swallowed for no good reason
                  All my old softwares suddenly non functional
                  killed it and put in xp pro after the first month
                  For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

May I join the "I hate Windows Vista" club?

Comment

Originally posted by Neo View Post
                      May I join the "I hate Windows Vista" club?
                      Of course but it's a very big club.
                      Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Comment

The worst part of Vista, from my viewpoint, is the need to repurchase all of the utilities that I use daily, such as virus scanners, CD burning software, malware protection, etc. Of course, none of the software vendors provide Vista compatibility with a simple patch, they want you to BUY the upgrade. I downgraded to XP on my new computer and will leave Vista sitting in the drawer for a long time.

Comment

Don't have it, but I'm buying an Apple my next go around.
                          "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Originally posted by Shek View Post
                            Don't have it, but I'm buying an Apple my next go around.
                            You can't be serious? Vista is bad, but Apple........... your sins are unforgivable. The computer god will strike you down where you stand.

Comment

OK guys, so here is my take on this Vista thing! We have a site license for the durn thing on campus (professional and Ultimate), so we had to test it extensively as a client and as a stand alone.

Don't go ANYWHERE NEAR the Home edition. It is chopped down and really sucks ( just like XP Home did).

Wheras 1GB RAM was more or less adequate for XP, it is brutal on Vista. I recommend 2GB at least. Also use a USB 2.0 device for memory caching - makes a world of a difference in performance - actually fater than Xp at that point!!

The biggest problem Vista has is compatibility with existing software and hardware. I had to get Vista compatible tools for everything I do on a regular basis, new MMCs for server management, a new ADMINPAK etc. etc. There there is the hardware drivers issue. The mainstream companies ( Dell, HP, Compaq) all seem to have them, others don't!

For programs that will not run under Vista, you can right click on the executable and choose the "run as" option, and emmulate Vista if you need to.
                              This would have created a support nightmare for our PC techs so we left that alone.

Security is very, very tight and solid almost to the point of being annoying. I found that while I was able to steal the password hash for win2k, win 2003, and XP, I was unable to crack ANY Vista password!

Shek, I would not go Apple at all - the latest OS is wide open to hacks - trust me, we did it!

Comment

Working...
                              X