Windows Vista

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Feanor View Post
    You can't be serious? Vista is bad, but Apple........... your sins are unforgivable. The computer god will strike you down where you stand.
    Dead serious. The computer god looked down on Mac OS and said, "That is good...... Now let Microsoft screw the rest of the users with vista."
    Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Apple is much more of a monopolistic company than Microsoft has ever been.
      "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

i hate windows wista...it is a monster of hardware resources!.... :)
        Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none; be able for thine enemy rather in power than use; and keep thy friend under thine own life's key; be checked for silence, but never taxed for speech.

Comment

This is confusing. Microsoft is beta testing XP service upgrade 3!
          Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

Originally posted by glyn View Post
            What's so confusing? They figured out Vista sucks, and are moving on.

Comment

Well, Vista may become more stable once it becomes more familiar and Microsoft starts releasing more drivers for it.
              Cow is the only animal that not only inhales oxygen, but also exhales it.
              -Rekha Arya, Former Minister of Animal Husbandry

Comment

I hate it too.

I am goping to get XP loaded onmy new Dell.

Probably gotta call The Geek squad to do it.
                “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                  Apple is much more of a monopolistic company than Microsoft has ever been.
                  There is no mistake that both companies are run by the game gang of geeks that used to hang out together. After having to deal with the software of both Mac OS is much more user friendly and far less buggy for me. I have abused my Mac computers and they always come back for more while the PCs just never have held up. Now the real fun begins as Macs and PCs can be more closely compared head to head. Same chip and same software.

Comment

Originally posted by bonehead View Post
                    There is no mistake that both companies are run by the game gang of geeks that used to hang out together. After having to deal with the software of both Mac OS is much more user friendly and far less buggy for me. I have abused my Mac computers and they always come back for more while the PCs just never have held up. Now the real fun begins as Macs and PCs can be more closely compared head to head. Same chip and same software.
                    Not really. Windows runs on practically any mish mash of hardware(above rated specs). Get Leopard to do the same. Mac OS engineers know the exact hardware they will run on. Also their audience and the software they run tends to be more specific. That is not true of Windows. Till you can run a version of the Mac OS on a PC there is no viable comparison.

And Microsoft is not all bad. Their Windows undoubtedly sucks, but I think the new Office suite is inspired.
                    "Of all the manifestations of power, restraint impresses men the most." - Thucydides

Comment

Originally posted by glyn View Post
                      Companies typically take to switch to new software. They have large testing cycles to run compatibility tests across all their hardware platforms and software they use. This means that most large companies (and so big customers) are still running XP. You still have to support them. For instance my company won't switch to Visa till end of 2008. Even so, given that I only recently got a new laptop I won't be getting Vista for another 3 years. As a paying customer my company will expect that XP still be supported and bugs still be fixed till we use XP.

Windows 98 incidentally was supported till 2006 even though XP came out in 2001.

Edit: Also if you remember XP was a crappy OS till Service Pack2. On release XP was also pilloried as much as Vista is today. Eventually people will upgrade their hardware, Microsoft will fix the most glaring issues and in 5 more years we'll all be criticizing the next Windows and talking about downgrading to Vista. C'est la vie
                      Last edited by chankya; 11 Jan 08,, 23:38.
                      "Of all the manifestations of power, restraint impresses men the most." - Thucydides

Comment

Originally posted by chankya View Post
                        Not really. Windows runs on practically any mish mash of hardware(above rated specs). Get Leopard to do the same. Mac OS engineers know the exact hardware they will run on. Also their audience and the software they run tends to be more specific. That is not true of Windows. Till you can run a version of the Mac OS on a PC there is no viable comparison.

And Microsoft is not all bad. Their Windows undoubtedly sucks, but I think the new Office suite is inspired.
                        What Microsoft still does not understand is that when you run everything you run nothing very well. Mac is picky about throwing any old program in the OS so what does get used runs well and has fewer problems. Now people are complaining about upgrading drivers and such for vista. New OS does not support old software etc. I upgraded to Leopard and ALL my old programs are supported. No extra fuss. No needing to upgrade to leopard versions of software etc. Just upgrade the OS and you are off and running. I have the MS Office as well. Not my favorite but it allows me to cross platforms when I need to. The original MS word was written for Macs and later written for windows.

Um. Yes. really. Macs will be running full blown windows for those who want to go that route. Intel chips and MS OS. Chip for chip OS for OS. A direct comparison.

Comment

To be honest Vista is XP plus, in the same way that XP and Win2k are NT plus.

The difference at the moment is that we, the consumer, can be choosy because XP SP2 is, pretty much, the OS that home users and SMEs have been asking for. Whilst we have been asking for it Intel and AMD (et al) have been developing their processors and the chinese have been refining their manufacturing processes to the point were, for the first time in MS Window's history, computer performance outstrips OS requirements.

However, to be fair to MS, we can't continually whine about Windows being softer than warm butter to hack when compared to other OS and then moan when MS try to do something about it.

* Is it worth upgrading an existing PC to Vista? No.
                          * Has it ever been worth upgrading and existing PC to the next version of windows? No.
                          * Is it now worth buying a cheap PC on XP? No. Because for a few extra quid you can get so much more hardware.
                          * Is it now worth buying a current PC on Vista? Yes. Because for a few extra quid you can get so much more hardware.
                          at

Comment

* Has it ever been worth upgrading and existing PC to the next version of windows? No.
                            When I was running Windows ME on my second computer, a clean install of Windows 2000 was a godsend. I later installed XP Pro on the machine. Mind you, I didn't pay for either of them. I also installed a 7200RPM hard drive to replace the 5400RPM with, and was able to squeeze a few extra years out of that computer with a cheap upgrade every now and then along with the OS upgrade.

Computer was bought in January 2000 and was used until June 2007.

The computer originally had a 933Mhz P3, 128MB RAM, 40GB 54kRPM HD, CD-ROM/4x CD-RW, upgraded the RAM to 512MB, HD to 80GB 72kRPM, DVD-ROM/48x CD-RW, and 64MB video card. Ran beautifully until the motherboard fried.
                            "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Vista is simply junk. Microsoft attempted to make something shiny and appeasing to the eyes for the general population. They tried to duplicate OSX and such. All it does is take up memory and makes it really cluttered and confusing to navigate. XP for me please... :/

Comment

Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
                                When I was running Windows ME on my second computer, a clean install of Windows 2000 was a godsend. I later installed XP Pro on the machine. Mind you, I didn't pay for either of them. I also installed a 7200RPM hard drive to replace the 5400RPM with, and was able to squeeze a few extra years out of that computer with a cheap upgrade every now and then along with the OS upgrade.
                                I agree, when it comes to ME as i suffered from it too. If you can get the upgrade for free. But i stand by the statement for shelling out cash for an upgrade.

I would also like to add that Windows ME was only released because the calendar turned over to 2000. Oddly, any form of networkiing in ME beyond open standards (i.e FTP) such as good old netbios addressing and piping seemed to be totally and utterly broken. Hence upgrading from ME to NT, XP, 2K, 2K3 made sense.

ME did include restore points, but aside from that was akin to even numbered versions of DOS - to be avoided at all costs.
                                at

Comment

Working...
                                X