Fighting Ghosts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fighting Ghosts

Has any one thought about the fact that we're fighting an unwinnable war? I know this sounds boderline treason but consider it. Over the course of the war US involvement has surged and most likely reached its peak as more and more US citizens call for the troops to be brought home. Why do they call for us to cut our losses? As the death toll rises President Bush assures us middle eastern violence is down and that the war on terror is succeeding. But even as the violence goes down the death toll goes up. While every war has its casualties it must have its victories. When was the last time a high ranking insurgent was captured? When was the last major attack discovered and stopped. Where are the WMD's we search for? The people need reassurance.
    Beyond that could the obvious be true? Could it be that it doesn't only appear that Operation: Iraqi Freedom is failing? If what President Bush tells us is true and we are truly fighting in the middle east to free opressed people; conside our goal. We are trying to create a stabelized government, to create order in the midst of chaos. Now consider the goal of the opposition. They wish to keep their world how it is and we are in their world, they're the home team. They are disrupting the peace we are trying to create. They seek to destroy, we seek to build. Forgive my direct metaphor but it took 5 years to build the World Trade Center, but it took 1 day to destroy it. We are fighting people with nothing to lose and who fight an easier fight. We're playing their game. It makes about as much sense as Michael Jordan playing baseball.

I suggest you fill out your profile oin the welcome thread, now welcome aboard.

Now to correct some misconceptions you seem to have.

1- No war is unwinnable. Victory always goes to the side willing to spend 1 more life, dollar and day fighting than the other side

2- Iraq: AQI is on the run, the sunni's are now our allies, Saddam is dead, oil exports are up, Lybia and Iran both stopped WMD programs in 2003, country wide violence is down, Iran and US have had formal talks for the first time in decades so on and so forth. By any measurable standard the US military is currently winning the war

3- WoT: No more attacks on America, loss of Afghanistan and Iraq as safe havens, reduce suicide bombings in Palestine, a couple of years now since a major mass-cas attack in Europe, most of AQ's senior leadership dead or captured, North Korea disarming etc.

Comment

Originally posted by zraver View Post
      I suggest you fill out your profile oin the welcome thread, now welcome aboard.

Now to correct some misconceptions you seem to have.

1- No war is unwinnable. Victory always goes to the side willing to spend 1 more life, dollar and day fighting than the other side

2- Iraq: AQI is on the run, the sunni's are now our allies, Saddam is dead, oil exports are up, Lybia and Iran both stopped WMD programs in 2003, country wide violence is down, Iran and US have had formal talks for the first time in decades so on and so forth. By any measurable standard the US military is currently winning the war

3- WoT: No more attacks on America, loss of Afghanistan and Iraq as safe havens, reduce suicide bombings in Palestine, a couple of years now since a major mass-cas attack in Europe, most of AQ's senior leadership dead or captured, North Korea disarming etc.
      North Korea halted disarming, for no reason, recently. And what does it have to do with OIF anyways?

Comment

Originally posted by Feanor View Post
        North Korea halted disarming, for no reason, recently. And what does it have to do with OIF anyways?
        The tin pots got scared of being next.

Comment

Originally posted by Feanor View Post
          What do you mean for no reason? China was breathing down its neck.

Comment

CNN and MSNBC have taught you well. Though from personal experience, headway is definitely being made. I mean, I only got back in August of 2007, but even since then things are getting better. I have friends that are still there, some on their third tours, and progress is certainly being made. It is far from "unwinnable," and it would be more apparent to you if you stood in a blown out marketplace, void of any human presence other than military... visit the same place a few months later only to see it flourishing once again because the area is getting safer by the day.

Perhaps the reasons of the initial invasion were wrong, but that is not for me to decide, we elected officials to make that decision for us. Ultimately it needed to be done, in my opinion.

Walk a mile in the soldiers boots, you'll see it's winnable. I have a few pair if you need.
            "The way to a man's heart is through his stomach...just make sure you thrust upward through his ribcage."

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
              What do you mean for no reason? China was breathing down its neck.
              China was breathing down it's neck to stop disarming?

Comment

My mistake. I read wrong.

Comment

Very winnable war.

Originally posted by Attila114 View Post
                  Has any one thought about the fact that we're fighting an unwinnable war? I know this sounds boderline treason but consider it. Over the course of the war US involvement has surged and most likely reached its peak as more and more US citizens call for the troops to be brought home. Why do they call for us to cut our losses? As the death toll rises President Bush assures us middle eastern violence is down and that the war on terror is succeeding. But even as the violence goes down the death toll goes up. While every war has its casualties it must have its victories. When was the last time a high ranking insurgent was captured? When was the last major attack discovered and stopped. Where are the WMD's we search for? The people need reassurance.
                  Beyond that could the obvious be true? Could it be that it doesn't only appear that Operation: Iraqi Freedom is failing? If what President Bush tells us is true and we are truly fighting in the middle east to free opressed people; conside our goal. We are trying to create a stabelized government, to create order in the midst of chaos. Now consider the goal of the opposition. They wish to keep their world how it is and we are in their world, they're the home team. They are disrupting the peace we are trying to create. They seek to destroy, we seek to build. Forgive my direct metaphor but it took 5 years to build the World Trade Center, but it took 1 day to destroy it. We are fighting people with nothing to lose and who fight an easier fight. We're playing their game. It makes about as much sense as Michael Jordan playing baseball.
                  Just because we did not find WMD does not mean they are not there/or where there. I am in the USA and if I had to find WMD located in this country, or just my state, I fear it would be a very difficult tast. Not to mention, Saddam had an idea we were coming. This gave him ample time to hide any trace's.

"We are fighting people with nothing to lose and who fight an easier fight"

They also have everything to gain. When we speak of Iraq there are two groups your people and then your terrorists. People in Iraq were being killed,starved, living in fear of "Saddam". Many tell of loved ones he killed, torchered, gassed. You tube has a link to the main witness toward Saddam. They do not allow use outside of Youtube or I would link it. Or type in victims of Saddam. His treatment of his people was barbaric. People of Iraq have won already.

"Iraqi Freedom is failing?" We cannot afford to fail. We need to transfer a new Iraq to a strong , stable new goverment. I feel this will be a matter of perfect timing. To leave to soon, Iraq will surley fail. To stay to long, we are not making them able to set a full goverment of Iraq without our support. A new Iraq without a place for terrorist is well on it's way. We must support Iraq's new goverment. Give them credit for building their new country. At the same time support the brave troops that deal with terror groups trying to stop the rise of a new power.

Comment

Working...
                  X