Football vs. soccer and the American Way of War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blademaster View Post
    They took away the only thing I have to root for and that is the Dolphins's undefeated season in 1971. Waaaaa!!! :(

Thanks a lot for rubbing salt in our wounds. ;)

I hope that the Chargers can beat them but I wouldn't hold my breah as long as Tom Brady has one of his Bradnesque moment in the AFC game.

By the way, I was there in Jacksonville for the Super Bowl game in 2005 when the Patriots beat the Eagles. I sat down next to a Patriots fan wearing Viniateri shirt. He was a class act, nice guy to banter with and share beers with.
    Who the hell was that guy ruining our reputation!?!?!? ;)

Being a proud member of Red Sox Nation and Patriots Nation (and Bruins and Celtics...) life is good right now.

Is it Sunday yet?
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

Comment

There is always the hope that the packers pull off an amazing game and farve retires after winning the superbowl..... however I think they will be beaten convincingly though not blown out by a team that is a bit better, and that farve will slowly decline as a QB in greenbay over the next 3/4 years wasting some of the prime years of a O line and linebacking core on the upswing the D line is also fairly young and servicable as well.

Comment

As to the soccer football debate and the indian referance, India may not have been a good example but I am having troubles coming up with comparisions of forces that are so conventionally overwhelmed that they are forced to a guerrilla type insurgancy.

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
          And just what is wrong with Tom Brady!?!?!?

I was thinking of this thread on Sunday. Football is very much like warfare in the idea of deception (stunting), maneuver of forces (man in motion, sweeps) all out attack (blitzing), counterattack (long pass in the face of a blitz; screen pass).

GO PATS!!!!!
          That's right sir. Football is the most war like game there is. Footbal is the only game that has a defined front line. No other game owns territory like there is in football. No other game is as concerned with set plays. Most are quite spontaneous.

Baseball is also weird as in it's the only sport where defense and offense cannot reverse at the drop of a hat. You must finish the defensive or offensive sequence before switching roles.
          "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
            That's right sir. Football is the most war like game there is. Footbal is the only game that has a defined front line. No other game owns territory like there is in football. No other game is as concerned with set plays. Most are quite spontaneous.
            Not so. Chess is also like war and has a defined front line and back line.

Baseball is also weird as in it's the only sport where defense and offense cannot reverse at the drop of a hat. You must finish the defensive or offensive sequence before switching roles.
            Cricket anyone?

Comment

to me a war is more like a backgammon game....trying your best in the world of un-expectancys and possibilities...
              Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none; be able for thine enemy rather in power than use; and keep thy friend under thine own life's key; be checked for silence, but never taxed for speech.

Comment

Working...
              X