In memoriam: novelist George MacDonald Fraser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In memoriam: novelist George MacDonald Fraser

The novelist George MacDonald Fraser, author of the Flashman adventure stories, has died aged 82, his publisher has said.

The popular books saw womanising anti-hero Sir Harry Flashman, fight his way around the British Empire.

MacDonald Fraser, who was appointed an OBE in 1999, also wrote the screenplay for James Bond film Octopussy.

The Carlisle-born journalist turned author, who lived on the Isle of Man, had fought cancer for several years.

He was married and had three children.

Flash of inspiration

MacDonald Fraser served as a soldier in Burma and India during World War II and later rose to be deputy editor of the Glasgow Herald newspaper.

He was still working there when the first Flashman book was published in 1969.

A further 11 followed, the last in 2005.

The inspiration for Sir Harry Flashman came from the 19th century novel, Tom Brown's Schooldays, where the character features as the cowardly bully who torments the hero, Tom.

George MacDonald Fraser wrote 11 Flashman novels

MacDonald Fraser based his tales on the idea that Flashman's "memoirs" had been unearthed in an old trunk in a Leicestershire auction room.

Despite being a vain, cowardly rogue, as well as a racist and a sexist, the character managed to play a pivotal role in many of the 19th Century's most significant events, always emerging covered in glory.

As well as Octopussy in 1983, MacDonald Fraser wrote other screenplays including The Prince and The Pauper and The Three Musketeers.

Fellow author Kingsley Amis called him "a marvellous reporter and a first-rate historical novelist".

The former news editor on the Herald, 83-year-old Bob Brown, described MacDonald Fraser as "a highly competent journalist".

"He was a smashing bloke, amiable, friendly and first-class company," he said.

Murray Ritchie, 66, was taught journalism by MacDonald Fraser on the Dumfries Standard in the 1960s.

"He was a brilliant journalist. He was a superbly gifted writer, he wrote with such clarity, and was a good leader writer and editor."

He added: "Way back in the '60s he was seen as the journalist of his generation in Scotland."
    A sad day.
    In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

He'll be missed. I've been through the Flashman Papers twice. He knew how to mix history with humor.

Thanks for the post. It might be appropriate to pluck Old Flash of the shelf for another gallop in honor of Fraser's passing.

Comment

I am sorry to hear that, I'm a huge fan of his books, not only his Flashman series, but also his McAuslan series, as well as his non-fiction. I fear they don't make writers of his kind any more.

Comment

I'm really sorry to hear of his death. I have been a fan since I read the first exerpt in an old Playboy. I guess we will never find out how old Flashie served both the Union and the Confederacy in the Civil War.

Comment

Originally posted by svs View Post
          I'm really sorry to hear of his death. I have been a fan since I read the first exerpt in an old Playboy. I guess we will never find out how old Flashie served both the Union and the Confederacy in the Civil War.
          With Honour and to both sides no doubt;)

Comment

Author of "The Steel Bonnets". It gave great insight into my ancestry. Rest in peace, sir.

Comment

I heard a nice eulogy on NPR tonight.

I guess I now know what I will be reading for the next month or so!!!

And his best was McCauslan In The Rough
              “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
              Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
              X