X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
    Open Thread
    A World War II armored vehicle known as one of "Hobart's Funnies".

What is this, and what was its purpose?

"Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

• A Bobbin. It was a converted Churchill that unspooled a lane of canvas over the sand to provide better traction & mobility for follow on vehicles.
      “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
      Mark Twain

Comment

A Bobbin. It was a converted Churchill that unspooled a lane of canvas over the sand to provide better traction & mobility for follow on vehicles.
        Yes, also known as a Churchill AVRE w/Bobbin, one of "Hobart's Funnies".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobart%27s_Funnies
        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armour...oyal_Engineers

Your question.

Comment

• Okay...this is obscure but I'll roll it out.

What American Civil War campaign is tied to liquor and why?
          Mark Twain

Comment

Okay...this is obscure but I'll roll it out.

What American Civil War campaign is tied to liquor and why?
            Battle of Stones River, where despite the Confederates initially succeeding and having the upper hand, with Maj. Gen Benjamin F. Cheatham still being drunk from the night before, the battle ended up turning into a Confederate loss? The loss of this battle enabling Rosecrans and his Army of the Cumberland to go on to succeed in the Tullahoma Campaign?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
              Battle of Stones River, where despite the Confederates initially succeeding and having the upper hand, with Maj. Gen Benjamin F. Cheatham still being drunk from the night before, the battle ended up turning into a Confederate loss? The loss of this battle enabling Rosecrans and his Army of the Cumberland to go on to succeed in the Tullahoma Campaign?

Not what I was thinking of but I'll allow it.

I was actually thinking of the Kentucky Campaign of 1862. If you follow the paths of the two armies, the Federal Army of the Cumberland and the Confederate Army of Tennessee, you will see they follow what is today the Bourbon Trail in Kentucky. Why? Because in the fall of 1862 Kentucky was in a drought and the armies moved spring to spring...the same springs which are used by bourbon distillers today. The penultimate battle, Perryville, was started when watering parties fought over the same watering holes in the dry Chaplin River & Doctor's Creek.

All yours.
              Mark Twain

Comment

• This must be the least hipsterish Vespa ever.

What is this vehicle, and who was it used by?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
                  This must be the least hipsterish Vespa ever.

What is this vehicle, and who was it used by?
                  Certainly wouldn't fire it while mounted, Its a bazooka mounted on Vespa Not sure of the name but Was it the French army?
                  Last edited by Freyr; 07 Sep 19,, 18:40.

Comment

• It is a Vespa 150 TAP.

It was issued to French paratroop units. It's a US made M20 75mm Recoilless Rifle. It normally was fired from a tripod carried by the asst gunner/ammo bearer on another Vespa.
                    Mark Twain

Comment

It is a Vespa 150 TAP.

It was issued to French paratroop units. It's a US made M20 75mm Recoilless Rifle. It normally was fired from a tripod carried by the asst gunner/ammo bearer on another Vespa.
                      Yup, you got it. Your question.

Comment

• How about this one

Click image for larger version

Name:	default.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	1478439

Which army and whats its name?

Comment

• I know it was a spigot AT gun that was made for the Home Guard right after Dunkirk. It lobbed a bomb similar to the PIAT. It was towed behind anything with a motor and tilted on it's wheels to fire. Those are the wheels at the top & bottom.

I just can't remember what it's called.
                          Mark Twain

Comment

I know it was a spigot AT gun that was made for the Home Guard right after Dunkirk. It lobbed a bomb similar to the PIAT. It was towed behind anything with a motor and tilted on it's wheels to fire. Those are the wheels at the top & bottom.

I just can't remember what it's called.
                            Yep, Its a Smith Gun. The designer was either drunk or an idiot.

Last edited by Freyr; 11 Sep 19,, 08:34.

Comment

• Originally posted by Freyr View Post

Desperate times for the UK after the Fall of France.
                              Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Freyr View Post
                                No doubt by the same people who gave us the STEN
                                Chimo

Comment

Working...
                                X