Comment

• Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
        Near Harrison city PA?

Battle of Bushy Run?
        Well done, Gunny!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Bushy_Run

Neat little battlefield to visit.

Not too far from Jumonville Glen.
        “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
        Mark Twain

Comment

• This was the largest "all American" battle of the Revolutionary War. No British involved.

President Hoover once said "This is a place of inspiring memories. Here less than a thousand men, inspired by the urge of freedom, defeated a superior force entrenched in this strategic position. This small band of Patriots turned back a dangerous invasion well designed to separate and dismember the united Colonies. It was a little army and a little battle, but it was of mighty portent. History has done scant justice to its significance, which rightly should place it beside Lexington, Bunker Hill, Trenton and Yorktown."

Name the battle

Comment

• Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
            This was the largest "all American" battle of the Revolutionary War. No British involved.

President Hoover once said "This is a place of inspiring memories. Here less than a thousand men, inspired by the urge of freedom, defeated a superior force entrenched in this strategic position. This small band of Patriots turned back a dangerous invasion well designed to separate and dismember the united Colonies. It was a little army and a little battle, but it was of mighty portent. History has done scant justice to its significance, which rightly should place it beside Lexington, Bunker Hill, Trenton and Yorktown."

Name the battle
            King's Mountain, SC OCT 1780 (I visited the battlefield in April of this year). It featured the Patriot Overmountain men against Loyalist Militia under the command of LTC Patrick Ferguson.

One correction Gunny. Ferguson was a Scotsman and was killed in the battle. He was the only Brit.
            Mark Twain

Comment

• Correct, AR

Your question

Comment

• How is The O Boat related to a county in New York?
                Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                  How is The O Boat related to a county in New York?
                  What is an O Boat? Tried Googling it but have only come up with some company that rents pontoon boats.
                  "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

• Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
                    What is an O Boat? Tried Googling it but have only come up with some company that rents pontoon boats.
                    The O Boat was the nickname for a US Navy ship.

It was built in World War 2.
                    Mark Twain

Comment

The O Boat was the nickname for a US Navy ship.

It was built in World War 2.
                      USS Oriskany (CV-34)

Named for the Battle of Oriskany, fought between the US and the Brits and their respective Iroquois allies on August 6, 1777 during the War for Independence.

Oriskany is a village in NY in modern-day Oneida County. Back then, it was an Oneida Iroquois village named Oriska.

The USS Oriskany itself was later sunk in 2006 to create an artificial reef off the coast of Florida.

__________________________________________________ ______________________________________________
                      Since I've had this question in the chamber for about a week now, I'm going to go ahead and post it straight away.

This war was fought between the Australian Army and WWI vets against a 20,000-strong invasion force during the Great Depression.

What is the name of the war, who was in the invasion force, and what was the war being fought over?
                      Last edited by Ironduke; 24 Jun 18,, 18:59.

Comment

Since I've had this question in the chamber for about a week now, I'm going to go ahead and post it straight away.

This war was fought between the Australian Army and WWI vets against a 20,000-strong invasion force during the Great Depression.

What is the name of the war, who was in the invasion force, and what was the war being fought over?
                        That would be the Emu War, an ultimately futile attempt to stop emus damaging crops in the large West Australian wheat belt. Two concerted efforts using regular Army, militia & veterans armed with Lewis guns resulted in a victory to the Emus. Ornithologist Dominic Serevnty noted:

The machine-gunners' dreams of point blank fire into serried masses of Emus were soon dissipated. The Emu command had evidently ordered guerrilla tactics, and its unwieldy army soon split up into innumerable small units that made use of the military equipment uneconomic. A crestfallen field force therefore withdrew from the combat area after about a month.
                        Major G.P.W. Meredith, who was in charge of the operation, commented:

If we had a military division with the bullet-carrying capacity of these birds it would face any army in the world... They can face machine guns with the invulnerability of tanks. They are like Zulus whom even dum-dum bullets could not stop.
                        The bravery of the Australian troops was never in question, despite the fearsome speed & claws of their adversary. However, we lacked the tactical ability required. Sadly our great Field Marshal Sir John Monash was busy indulging his profession of choice - engineering - and was busy constructing a world class power grid in my home state of Victoria.

In the end we fell back on a traditional Australian method of dealing with things - we built a bloody great fence. :-)

Does this mean I have to think up a clever question now?
                        sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

USS Oriskany (CV-34)

Named for the Battle of Oriskany, fought between the US and the Brits and their respective Iroquois allies on August 6, 1777 during the War for Independence.

Oriskany is a village in NY in modern-day Oneida County. Back then, it was an Oneida Iroquois village named Oriska.

The USS Oriskany itself was later sunk in 2006 to create an artificial reef off the coast of Florida.

__________________________________________________ ______________________________________________

Actually....no. Notice I asked for the name of a county not a town. So you identified the O Boat but not answered the question. The O Boat was a clue and not the question.

It's still open.
                          Mark Twain

Comment

Actually....no. Notice I asked for the name of a county not a town. So you identified the O Boat but not answered the question. The O Boat was a clue and not the question.

It's still open.
                            Ah, my apologies. I spent about half an hour trying to find out how the USS Oriansky is related to a county in New York, with no luck. I'll leave it to someone else to figure that one out.

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
                            That would be the Emu War, an ultimately futile attempt to stop emus damaging crops in the large West Australian wheat belt. Two concerted efforts using regular Army, militia & veterans armed with Lewis guns resulted in a victory to the Emus. Ornithologist Dominic Serevnty noted:

Major G.P.W. Meredith, who was in charge of the operation, commented:

The bravery of the Australian troops was never in question, despite the fearsome speed & claws of their adversary. However, we lacked the tactical ability required. Sadly our great Field Marshal Sir John Monash was busy indulging his profession of choice - engineering - and was busy constructing a world class power grid in my home state of Victoria.

In the end we fell back on a traditional Australian method of dealing with things - we built a bloody great fence. :-)

Does this mean I have to think up a clever question now?
                            You got it. Think up a clever question, but first you've got to answer Buck's question before you can post it. ;-)

Comment

• Okay I'll give the answer.

The county is Herkimer County in New York. The commander of the American Forces was Brigadier General Nicholas Herkimer and he was shot in the leg and died after the battle due to a botched amputation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicholas_Herkimer

Open thread.
                              Mark Twain

Comment

• Not sure I can think of a clever question, so this one will have to do.

Name two C20th battles where US, British, Australian & Canadian forces fought together. Extra points if they are on different continents.
                                sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Working...
                                X