This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
    Not sure I can think of a clever question, so this one will have to do.

Name two C20th battles where US, British, Australian & Canadian forces fought together. Extra points if they are on different continents.
    Second Battle of the Somme 1918 21 AUG 12 SEP 18 France

4th British Army w/ BR III, VIII, X, XIII, XV & Cavalry Corps; Canadian Corps, Australian Corps II (US) Corps AEF

Battle of Kapyong 22- 25 APR 51 Korea

27th Commenwealth Bde (3 RAR, 2 PPCLI, 1 Middlesex, Royal NZ Artillery), 6th ROK Division, 5th CAV Regt (US)

I am sure there could also be some air battles (like Normandy coverage) and some convoys but they weren't land battles.
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
      Second Battle of the Somme 1918 21 AUG 12 SEP 18 France

4th British Army w/ BR III, VIII, X, XIII, XV & Cavalry Corps; Canadian Corps, Australian Corps II (US) Corps AEF

Battle of Kapyong 22- 25 APR 51 Korea

27th Commenwealth Bde (3 RAR, 2 PPCLI, 1 Middlesex, Royal NZ Artillery), 6th ROK Division, 5th CAV Regt (US)

I am sure there could also be some air battles (like Normandy coverage) and some convoys but they weren't land battles.
      Good job Buck. The floor is yours.
      sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

• Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
        Good job Buck. The floor is yours.
        I have been reading a lot about World War 1 lately so that came to mind pretty easily. And I was well aware of the Commonwealth Brigade's actions in Korea so it just took a little time in CMH to find what I needed.

What is interesting to me about World War 1 is that is the first time the US operated an Army Group in conjunction with a coalition. In the Civil War both Grant and Sherman commanded Army Groups in 1864-65 (Grant Army of the Potomac, Army of the Shenandoah & Army of the James; Sherman Army of the Tennessee, Army of the Cumberland, Army of Georgia & Army of the Ohio) and that would be the last time the US Army would have such large land forces until World War 1.

I'll have something shortly.
        Mark Twain

Comment

• What was unusual about the 3rd Nebraska Volunteer Infantry during the Spanish American War?
          Mark Twain

Comment

What was unusual about the 3rd Nebraska Volunteer Infantry during the Spanish American War?
            Found this on the following site:
            http://www.spanamwar.com/3rdneb.htm

The Third Nebraska departed for Cuba on December 30, 1898, twenty days after the Treaty of Paris was signed, ending the war. The unit arrived in Cuba on New Years Day, 1899.
            "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

• Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
              Found this on the following site:
              http://www.spanamwar.com/3rdneb.htm
              True but not what I was thinking. And that was not an unusual occurrence.

It involves a specific individual in the unit.
              Mark Twain

Comment

True but not what I was thinking. And that was not an unusual occurrence.

It involves a specific individual in the unit.
                Colonel William Jennings Bryan was the commanding officer of the 3rd Nebraska Volunteer Infantry.

He later went on to run for President in 1900 and 1908, but lost to William McKinley and William Howard Taft, respectively. He also served as Secretary of State from 1913-1915 under Woodrow Wilson, and later served as a counsel to the prosecution in the Scopes Monkey Trial, in which a Tennessee teacher was prosecuted under the state's Butler Act for violating the prohibition on teaching evolution in public schools.

Comment

• Very good, Iron Duke. William Jennings Bryant was a champion of the Progressive Movement and ran for President as the Democratic candidate in 1896 and lost to McKinley. A virulent anti-Imperialist, it was ironic that he became the colonel of a militia regiment raised to fight a war in Cuba.

Your thread, ID!
                  Mark Twain

Comment

Very good, Iron Duke. William Jennings Bryant was a champion of the Progressive Movement and ran for President as the Democratic candidate in 1896 and lost to McKinley. A virulent anti-Imperialist, it was ironic that he became the colonel of a militia regiment raised to fight a war in Cuba.

Your thread, ID!
                    He kind of seems to me to be the precursor to the neo-conservative/neo-liberal interventionism school of thought. He may have been anti-war when it came to conquest for conquest's sake, but pro-war when it came to certain "ideals". He was supportive of the intervention in the Mexican Civil War, for example. He probably was enthusiastic about the Spanish-American War because he saw it as an idealistic war in which the US would overthrow the Spanish Empire and bring freedom to the oppressed people under its rule.

And for the question...

This war began over an incident that started when a soldier chased his dog, which had run away, across an international border, with the soldier ending up getting shot and killed. When did this war take place, and which countries were involved?
                    Last edited by Ironduke; 02 Jul 18,, 19:58.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
                      He kind of seems to me to be the precursor to the neo-conservative/neo-liberal interventionism school of thought. He may have been anti-war when it came to conquest for conquest's sake, but pro-war when it came to certain "ideals". He was supportive of the intervention in the Mexican Civil War, for example. He probably was enthusiastic about the Spanish-American War because he saw it as an idealistic war in which the US would overthrow the Spanish Empire and bring freedom to the oppressed people under its rule.

And for the question...

This war began over an incident that started when a soldier chased his dog, which had run away, across an international border, with the soldier ending up getting shot and killed. When did this war take place, and which countries were involved?
                      Hint: the war took place in the 1920s in the Balkans.

Comment

• No takers....

The answer is the Incident at Petrich, or the War of the Stray Dog.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incident_at_Petrich
                        The Incident at Petrich, or the War of the Stray Dog, was a Greek–Bulgarian crisis in 1925, in which there was a short invasion of Bulgaria by Greece near the border town of Petrich, after the killing of a Greek captain and a sentry by Bulgarian soldiers. The incident ended after a decision of the League of Nations.
                        There are two versions of how the incident started.

1) In the first version, the incident began on October 18, when a Greek soldier ran after his dog, which had strayed across the border from Greece at the pass Demir Kapia (bg) on Belasitsa (Belles); thus, it is sometimes referred to as the War of the Stray Dog. The border was guarded by Bulgarian sentries, and one of them shot the Greek soldier.
                        Open thread.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	Patch.PNG
Views:	2
Size:	3.3 KB
ID:	1476921

Who/what were you if you wore this patch?
                          Mark Twain

Comment

• Hint...it was World War 1.
                            Mark Twain

Comment

[ATTACH]46391[/ATTACH]

Who/what were you if you wore this patch?
                              2nd and 3rd Canadian Tunneling Companies of the Canadian Expeditionary Force.

Comment

• Could Also apply to an Australian Tunneling Company and 2 different British ones as well.

You're up.
                                Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                                X