This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by surfgun View Post
    What was the standard caliber of French Military Flintlock Pistols?
    Which model?

The 1733 had calibers varying from .62 to .64 caliber. The 1776 Cavalry Pistol used in the Revolution was .71 caliber. The Model 1763 Libreville was 5/8s caliber.
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

Comment

• I was going for the plentiful IX and XIII variants of which used Charleville sized balls of .69 Cal.
      Your question.

Comment

• Originally posted by surfgun View Post
        I was going for the plentiful IX and XIII variants of which used Charleville sized balls of .69 Cal.
        Your question.
        Didn't mean to appear to be pedantic. I just finished a year of research prior to a weeklong Rev War Tour in the Carolinas. As a logistician I really dig into how the units were supplied and equipped. That's where I came across those variants used.

I'll have something shortly.
        Mark Twain

Comment

• Following the disastrous Patriot defeats at Charleston & Camden Patriot forces appeared to be in severe decline in the Carolinas. What Patriot victory halted the British/Loyalist wave and heartened Patriot Carolinians to kepp up the fight?
          Mark Twain

Comment

• Battle of Musgrove Mill?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Musgrove_Mill
            "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

• Natty Green and the Battle of Guilford Court House?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
                Ironduke for the win.

And Dazed I took off points for that egregious Natty!!!!

The Battle of Musgrove Mill would be the first we see the Overmountain Men, who would figure so prominently 2 months later at King's Mountain, really make an impression east of their mountain valley homes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Musgrove_Mill

Today the site is a state park with a wonderfully interpreted battlefield with a knowledgeable and energetic staff. You have to want to find it....it is out of the way but well wrth the trip.

PS: While you are there check out nearby Blackstocks Plantation and Ninety-Six.
                Mark Twain

Comment

• The immediate cause of this war was over something stolen from a well some hundreds of years ago in Italy.

What is the name of the war, and what stolen object was the immediate cause for the outbreak of the war?

Comment

• Hint: it was an episode in the wars and rivalry between the Guelphs (supporters of the Pope) and Ghibellines (supporters of the Holy Roman Emperor).

There were several events leading up to this war, but the immediate cause was something stolen from a well. What was it, and what was in it?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
                      Hint: it was an episode in the wars and rivalry between the Guelphs (supporters of the Pope) and Ghibellines (supporters of the Holy Roman Emperor).

There were several events leading up to this war, but the immediate cause was something stolen from a well. What was it, and what was in it?
                      A bucket filled with treasure from the city of Bologna?

Comment

• Originally posted by JCT View Post
                        A bucket filled with treasure from the city of Bologna?
                        Correct.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_the_Bucket

The War of the Bucket or the War of the Oaken Bucket was fought in 1325, between the rival city-states of Bologna and Modena. It took place in the region of Emilia-Romagna in northern Italy. It was provoked when Modenese soldiers stole the bucket from a city well, but was really an episode in the over 300-year-long struggle between Guelphs and Ghibellines. Modena won the Battle of Zappolino (the only battle of the war), and the bucket remains in Modena to this day.
                        In the months before the battle, border clashes intensified. In July, the Bolognese entered Modenese territory and laid waste the fields in the section "between the canals", by fire and sword; in August a Bolognese rabble headed by their podestà spent two weeks ravaging other lands of Modena.[3] In September the Mantuans took their turn, and at the end of that month, the strategic Bolognese rocca of Monteveglio was betrayed to Modena by malcontents; two renegade castellans were decapitated.[3]

In this atmosphere of tension and hostility, some Modenese soldiers slipped into the center of Bologna, and stole a civic bucket filled with loot from the main city well in the center of Bologna. The humiliated Bolognese demanded the return of the bucket, and when that was refused declared war on Modena.
                        You're up.

Comment

• Thank you! Unfortunately I do not have a question and will be out all day on training, so I'm going to throw it open to keep up the momentum. The floor is open!

Comment

• What is this?

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	Tsar_tank.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	299.5 KB
ID:	1476631

It's a Tsar Tank. That monstrosity bogged down in testing...the rear wheel would often get stuck. It was scrapped in 1923.
                              Mark Twain

Comment

• Correct. Your question.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsar_Tank

The Tsar Tank (Russian: Царь-танк), also known as the Netopyr' (Нетопырь) which stands for Pipistrellus (a genus of bat) or Lebedenko Tank (танк Лебеденко), was an unusual Russian armoured vehicle developed by Nikolai Lebedenko (Николай Лебеденко), Nikolai Zhukovsky (Николай Жуковский), Boris Stechkin (Борис Стечкин), and Alexander Mikulin (Александр Микулин) from 1914 onwards. The project was scrapped after initial tests deemed the vehicle to be vulnerable to artillery fire.

History

It differed from modern tanks in that it did not use caterpillar tracks—rather, it used a tricycle design. The two front spoked wheels were nearly 9 meters (27 feet) in diameter; the rear-mounted third wheel was only 1.5 metres (5 feet) high. The upper cannon turret reached a height of nearly 8 meters. The hull was 12 metres wide with two more cannon in sponsons. Additional weapons were also planned under the belly. Each wheel was powered by a 250 hp (190 kW) Sunbeam engine.[1]

The huge wheels were intended to cross significant obstacles. However, due to miscalculations of the weight, the rear wheel was prone to getting stuck in soft ground and ditches, and the front wheels were sometimes insufficient to pull it out. This led to a fiasco of tests before the high commission in August 1915. The tank remained in the location where it was tested, some 60 kilometres from Moscow until 1923 when it was finally taken apart for scrap.

Comment

Working...
                                X