Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh boy. Uhhh. How many and what type of air defense systems were in supposed to be in a late Cold War Soviet tank division.

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
      It looks like SAM is starting to stand for Smart A$$ Marine!!
      Hey, I've resembled that remark before.

I thought you went to Arty school long ago. Should have been a cake walk

Comment

• Feanor Reply

FM 100-2-3: The Soviet Army- Troops, Organization & Equipment 1991 would be the most up to date resource. Somebody wants money for it now and I refuse for an army cast by the wayside of history.

I'd say a crapload of ZSU 23-4s, a ridiculous number of ZSU 57-2s, uncountable amounts of SA-7s (STRELA), 14s (GREMLIN), 16s (GIMLET) etc., fantastic amounts of other big fast missiles like the SA-6 (GAINFUL) and loads of guys with ZPU-1s 14.5mm and those funny looking DShKM 12.7mm HMGs.

Yup. That more or less covers types and numbers nicely, eh?:))
        "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
        "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

• Originally posted by S-2 View Post
          FM 100-2-3: The Soviet Army- Troops, Organization & Equipment 1991 would be the most up to date resource. Somebody wants money for it now and I refuse for an army cast by the wayside of history.

I'd say a crapload of ZSU 23-4s, a ridiculous number of ZSU 57-2s, uncountable amounts of SA-7s (STRELA), 14s (GREMLIN), 16s (GIMLET) etc., fantastic amounts of other big fast missiles like the SA-6 (GAINFUL) and loads of guys with ZPU-1s 14.5mm and those funny looking DShKM 12.7mm HMGs.

Yup. That more or less covers types and numbers nicely, eh?:))
          Close. Don't bother with all the AA mg's. Those were indeed impossible to count. Just SAMs and SPAAGs.

Comment

• Wasn't the ZSU-57-2 abandoned rather quickly?

Comment

• Originally posted by Feanor View Post
              Oh boy. Uhhh. How many and what type of air defense systems were in supposed to be in a late Cold War Soviet tank division.
              Originally posted by S-2

Yup. That more or less covers types and numbers nicely, eh?
              Hey I've got that book!!! FM-100-2-3 Dated June 1991:))

Pg 4-112 Tank Div has 1 SAM (SA-6) Regt.

However it may have a SAM Regt with SA-8s or a AAA Regt equipped with S-60 AA guns.

The SA-6 Regt would have A total of 20 SA-6 TELs and 21 SA-7/SA-14 launchers

The SA-8 Regt substitutes 20 SA-8 launchers for the SA-6 ones

The S-60 Regt would have 24 57mm S-60s and 15 SA-7/SA-14 or SA-16 launchers.

The total numbers (assuming a SA-6 Regt) are

SA-6 =20
              SA-9=16
              SA-7=93
              SPAA=16

So Feanor how close did the US get to actual numbers?

Comment

• Iirc we had 20 tac-SAMs, OSA or Buk class, around 60 Shilkas or Tunguskas (3 units, I might be wrong and it might be 24 not 20 per unit), and 120 shoulder mounted Igla or Strela-2.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                  Hey, I've resembled that remark before.

I thought you went to Arty school long ago. Should have been a cake walk
                  As I said to S2, too many Bradley dismounts and too many Budweisers ago!!!

And while I did graduate FAOBC....it was by correspondence!!!
                  “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                  Mark Twain

Comment

• Gun Grape Reply

G.G.,

See if the organization for combat of a GUARDS motor rifle regiment equipped with BMPs includes any regimental A.A.A./SAMs. I'm sure that Shilkas and such will be there. Do the same for a Guards tank regiment of a TANK division (numbers differ, IIRC between size if MRD or T.D). Multiply by three tank regiments and toss them in with the divisional crap and that'll be that.

Get your next question ready.;)
                    "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
                    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

• Woops, been slacking for a few days.

What is it?
                      Attached Files

Comment

• chemical warfare decon unit

Comment

• Originally posted by zraver View Post
                          chemical warfare decon unit
                          Which one? And whos? The who should be really easy:)

Comment

• Originally posted by zraver View Post
                            Sticking with big bad Soviet armor..

I am the biggest most powerful armored vehicle deployed by the Soviet Union in WW2.

Hint#1 I am not part of the Animal killers family of assault guns.

Hint #2 I did see combat

Hint #3 I am not a piece of captured equipment.
                            SU-152?
                            "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

• The whose is Soviet/Russian heat(jet) based decon unit on a Ural 6x6

Comment

• Originally posted by Stitch View Post
                                SU-152?
                                old question, it was the SU-100Y which came in at 60 tons and used a 130mm naval gun which is probably the most powerful cannon placed into an AFV anywhere during WW2.

Comment

Working...
                                X