This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correct.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pig_War_(1859)

The Pig War was a confrontation in 1859 between the United States and United Kingdom over the British–U.S. border in the San Juan Islands, between Vancouver Island and the mainland. The Pig War, so called because it was triggered by the shooting of a pig, is also called the Pig Episode, the Pig and Potato War, the San Juan Boundary Dispute or the Northwestern Boundary Dispute. With no shots exchanged and no human casualties, this dispute was a bloodless conflict.
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

• Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
      You have got to be kidding me.

Since this is out of my league I would defer to someone like GG or make it open...

Comment

• I'll post one for the good GS (and I stole this one from another site).

What nickname was given to the area in North Korea that the Communists used for launching attacks into South Korea during the Korean War?

Hint: The area was bound by Pyonggang, Chorwon, and Kumhwa.

Comment

• Chorwon Corridor
          “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
          Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
            Chorwon Corridor
            Yep, you got it.

https://www.globalsecurity.org/milit...lan-5027-1.htm

The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) possesses larger forces than Iraq, and they are already deployed along South Korea's border. A war could explode after a warning of only a few hours or days, not weeks. Unlike in the Persian Gulf, this attack would be prosecuted along a narrow peninsula on mountainous terrain. It would probably be accompanied by massed artillery fire, commando raids, and chemical weapons. Initially, the primary battlefield would be only about 125 kilometers wide and 100 kilometers deep. The DPRK attack would be conducted against well-prepared ROK forces in fortified positions and against larger U.S. forces than in the Persian Gulf. Most probably, the DPRK attack would aim at seizing nearby Seoul by advancing down the Kaesong-Munsan, Kumwa, and Chorwon corridors. If successful, North Korean forces might also try to conquer the entire peninsula before large U.S. reinforcements arrive.

Comment

• What was the single most lethal use of US artillery in the Korean War?
              Last edited by Albany Rifles; 08 Apr 18,, 02:29.
              Mark Twain

Comment

• The Battle of Pork Chip Hill?

Comment

The Battle of Pork Chip Hill?
                  Nope
                  Mark Twain

Comment

• It was the Wonju Shoot, 14 February 1951 by the 2nd Infantry Division Artillery and supporting corps artillery .

US Army airborne forward observers spotted 2 PLA divisions in the open and cut loose in a day long firing. Estimated casualties were 5000 KIA and over 15,000 WIA.

While Pork Chop Hill did see a mass of artillery fire, it was over several days. The Wonju Shoot was a 1 day affair.

Open thread.
                    Mark Twain

Comment

• Okay...let's keep things going.

Who or What was Bombardier Fritz?
                      Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                        Okay...let's keep things going.

Who or What was Bombardier Fritz?
                        I had to use Google.

Pommes de terre frites, in English, known as... french fries?

Comment

I had to use Google.

Pommes de terre frites, in English, known as... french fries?
                          Yup....

It was the nickname Tommies used to name the ubiquitous potato dish.
                          Mark Twain

Comment

• In keeping with the British military slang theme....

What is a Grand Slam?

Comment

In keeping with the British military slang theme....

What is a Grand Slam?
                              The only UK-related Grand Slam I know of was the aviation 10-ton bomb...

Comment

• Originally posted by jlvfr View Post
                                The only UK-related Grand Slam I know of was the aviation 10-ton bomb...
                                It's three things that might happen after one drinks way too much.

Comment

Working...
                                X