This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bergen Cathedral.

During which battle was this cannonball fired, and why was the battle fought?
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

• I'm going to cut myself short here - I just posed another naval question.

Answer: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_V%C3%A5gen

The government of Napoleonic France offered 12,000 francs for a food preservation method, so that the French military would have non-perishable rations. What was this method? And when was the tool that is now used to open this object invented?
      Last edited by Ironduke; 27 Mar 18,, 01:32.

Comment

• Regarding my previous question - the food preservation method involves a cylinder. That should be a dead giveaway.

Comment

• I have no follow up question, but I know the answer.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dazed View Post
            I have no follow up question, but I know the answer.
            If you want to post the answer, I'll have another one ready to go in the chamber, unless Buck gets around to it first.

Comment

• Fire away dudes!!!
              “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
              Mark Twain

Comment

• The answer is canning, and the can opener was patented in the 1850s.

French origins
                During the first years of the Napoleonic Wars, the French government offered a hefty cash award of 12,000 francs to any inventor who could devise a cheap and effective method of preserving large amounts of food. The larger armies of the period required increased and regular supplies of quality food. Limited food availability was among the factors limiting military campaigns to the summer and autumn months. In 1809, Nicolas Appert, a French confectioner and brewer, observed that food cooked inside a jar did not spoil unless the seals leaked, and developed a method of sealing food in glass jars.[2] Appert was awarded the prize in 1810 by Count Montelivert, a French minister of the interior.[3] The reason for lack of spoilage was unknown at the time, since it would be another 50 years before Louis Pasteur demonstrated the role of microbes in food spoilage.

The French Army began experimenting with issuing canned foods to its soldiers, but the slow process of canning foods and the even slower development and transport stages prevented the army from shipping large amounts across the French Empire, and the war ended before the process was perfected. Unfortunately for Appert, the factory which he had built with his prize money was razed in 1814 by Allied soldiers when they entered France.

Following the end of the Napoleonic Wars, the canning process was gradually employed in other European countries and in the US.
                https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canning#French_origins

What is this and why is it used?

Comment

• It is German M109 with schalldämpfer. It is a sound dampening device use when testing munitions. It cuts the sound of firing way down, especially important as the German Artillery School is in a hilly area of extreme SW Germany and sound waves bounce around.

I saw this photo on the wall of Miesau Army Ammunition Depot (near Ramstein) a year ago when I was TDY there. One hallway had all kinds of photos of NATO weapons which fired rounds from there.
                  Mark Twain

Comment

• You got it, you're up General Turgid... I mean Buck.

Comment

• What geographic benefit derived from Clark's Northwestern Campaign (1778-1779)?

And I am not talking about the ceding of the Northwest Territories to the US in the 1783 Treaty of Paris!
                      Mark Twain

Comment

• Virginia gained territory up to the limit of the Ohio River? (which later became West Virginia in 1863)

Comment

• Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
                          Virginia gained territory up to the limit of the Ohio River? (which later became West Virginia in 1863)
                          Virginia already claimed it.

It is related to a founding of a place.
                          Mark Twain

Comment

• Okay, I am getting ready to head out on another battlefield tour and don't want to leave this hanging.

During George Rogers Clark's Illinois Campaign in 1778 he and his fore stopped at Corn Island at the Falls of The Ohio to await reinforcements. Once the force was ready it moved off on the Kaskaskia expedition and left behind the sick, camp followers and injured on the island. While there they planted a corn field (hence how the island got its name). After they wintered over, the settlers moved to the Southern bank of the river and established a settlement which became Louisville, KY. The Virginia General Assembly approved the town charter.

And with that, I'm out of here! (ignore the first 30 seconds of this video)

Mark Twain

Comment

• This war between the United States and Great Britain saw just a single casualty. Also, bacon is delicious on everything.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
                                This war between the United States and Great Britain saw just a single casualty. Also, bacon is delicious on everything.
                                Alex, famous food battles for $1000...

Bacon must be the clue just like in Jeopardy. Bacon from pigs. So What is the Pig War? Stupid sounding but hey you gotta take your best shot...

Comment

Working...
                                X