X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yup, you got it. Floor is yours.
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

• Which American Civil War general was involved in a trial which brought us the temporary insanity defense?
      “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
      Mark Twain

Comment

• Daniel Sickles

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel...#Murder_of_Key

Shot and killed the district attorney of D.C. in 1859 when he discovered the DA was having an affair with his wife.

Sickles went on to later make the grade of Major General and was the subject of controversy as a result of decisions made during the Battle of Gettysburg, namely, abandoning Cemetery Ridge and advancing to occupy Peach Orchard. He's alternately blamed for almost having caused the battle to have almost been lost by abandoning his position and taking this new one, or credited with blunting the force of the Confederate advance toward Union lines thus saving the day.
        Last edited by Ironduke; 11 Mar 18,, 22:36.

Comment

• Very good. The victim was Phillip Barton Key II, Francis Scott Key's son. The defense attorney was prominent Democratic attorney. Edwin M. Stanton, Lincoln's Secretary of War.

I have a little more sympathy than most towards Sickles and his actions at Gettysburg. Look at this website... http://polyticks.com/Hole/Hole/Center.htm

You can see that the IIIrd Corps was given a difficult low ground to hold. Recall what happened to Sickles & the IIIrd Corps when he was pulled off of Hazels Grove at Chancellorsville...he got pounded by Confederate artillery. I am sure that thought was in his mind when he looked up that slope.

Perhaps Meade should have given a more clear commander's intent to one of his less capable corps commanders.

Regardless, it's all yours.
          Mark Twain

Comment

• What artillery piece had a range of 20 miles and had a shell capable of destroying a mid-sized city?
            Last edited by Ironduke; 13 Mar 18,, 16:16.

Comment

• M-65

Comment

• Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                M-65
                Yup, you got it. You're up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M65_atomic_cannon

Comment

• Last battle between a Sherman tank and WW2 German tank

Comment

• Sinai War? I believe it was an Egyptian Firefly and an Israeli Panther
                    Mark Twain

Comment

• No, it was later than that

Comment

• The Syrian had some licensed built Mark IV through 1967 war. Isreali had the Sherman/ forever.

Comment

• and that would be the answer. 1967 6 day war.

The last kill was on 10 June 1967 when a Panzer IV was destroyed by an Israeli M50 Super Sherman.

Comment

• 1778 my wooden cannon repelled a siege. My brother was a big man. My cousin a Revolutionary War General, had a Lt Colonel end a siege with a wooden cannon a few years later. Poser, his cannon didn't even shoot. Who am I

Comment

• Hint. My cannon had to work, I was defending the family homestead, you could say I was named for the land. I will fess up, a tip of the cap to my brother a cultural icon.

Comment

• Squire Boone.

Comment

Working...
                                X