This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okay....this one is a stretch but...

What does Dolly Parton have to do with the American Revolutionary War?
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

Comment

• Her single 9-5, the biggest hit of her career, was released on February 21, 1981, on the 204th anniversary of Washington's promotion to Brigadier General on the same day in 1777?
      Last edited by Ironduke; 05 Mar 18,, 15:35.
      "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

• A tremendous guess....but no.
        Mark Twain

Comment

• She received the Founders Medal for Education for her literacy program Imagination Library at the Daughters of the American Revolution convention in 2009?

https://www.dar.org/national-society...ashington-dc-3

Comment

• Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
            She received the Founders Medal for Education for her literacy program Imagination Library at the Daughters of the American Revolution convention in 2009?

https://www.dar.org/national-society...ashington-dc-3

Even better, but no.

A hint...it concerns where she is from.
            Mark Twain

Comment

• She's from Sevier County, named after Brigadier General John Sevier?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Sevier

Comment

She's from Sevier County, named after Brigadier General John Sevier?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Sevier
                BINGO!!!!

John Sevier was one of the Overmountain Men who defeated LTC Patrick Ferguson and his Loyalists at Kings Mountain in October 1780. That defeat, followed by the crushing of Tarleton's forces at Cowpens the following January would help cripple Cornwallis' Southern Campaign.

John Sevier was born in the Shenandoah Valley and moved into what is now Eastern Tennessee in 1773. He was a community leader who fought in numerous Indian Campaigns as well as the Patriot forces in the Revolution. He would go on to become the first (and 3rd) governor of Tennessee.

Sevier County in East Tennessee was named for him. Locust Ridge, TN is where Dolly Parton is from & Pigeon Forge, TN is home to her theme park, Dollywood.

It's all yours!
                Mark Twain

Comment

• This battleship, sunk in 1915, was later raised and had two of its guns recovered and used as artillery at which battle in 1942?
                  Last edited by Ironduke; 07 Mar 18,, 17:02.

Comment

• Hint: it was a Russian battleship.

Comment

• Well the Petropavlovsk was launched in 1915 and was used as gun battery at Leningrad in 1942.
                      Mark Twain

Comment

• The ship I have in mind was sunk by a magazine explosion in 1916.

Come to think of it, I think I accidentally asked a naval question.

Comment

The ship I have in mind was sunk by a magazine explosion in 1916.

Come to think of it, I think I accidentally asked a naval question.
                          Well your avatar is a boat so....
                          Mark Twain

Comment

• Another hint: the battle was the Siege of Sevastopol.

Which Russian battleship that sunk in 1916 from a magazine explosion had two of its guns recovered to use as artillery for defense in the siege?

Comment

• Answer: Russian battleship Imperatritsa Mariya

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russia...atritsa_Mariya

She sunk from a magazine explosion in 1916, was re-floated in 1918 upside down in Sevastopol, with two of her 130mm guns salvaged and later as defensive artillery during the Siege of Sevastopol in 1941-42.

I was under the impression that they may have been used against German ground forces, but I'm not sure that's the case. I'll try to keep the question more germane the next time I take a turn.

Here's a gimme:

What root was used by Confederate soldiers as a coffee substitute, which people in the South later developed a taste for mixed with coffee, as a result of shortages during the US Civil War?

Personally, I can't stomach it. astralis had me try it once, and doesn't get to answer the question.
                              Last edited by Ironduke; 09 Mar 18,, 15:12.

Comment

• If you sit in just about any restaurant in New Orleans, Baton Rouge or Charleston your coffee comes mixed with chicory.

Chicory was roasted, ground up and added to coffee to make it last longer as there was a shortage in the Confederacy due to the blockade.

The blockade caused a lot of desperate measures to be taken.

http://www.businessinsider.com/confe...-1860s-2015-10
                                Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                                X